Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Disqualifing a dog for a bad bite-Any judges advise is much appreciated

Today at a dog show someone's dog was DQ'd because the dog has a undershot bite, my understanding is that they can't DQ a dog for a bad bite as it is not a disqualification for our breed, dog is entered at a show tommorrow can the dog still go in the show? She is going to protest the DQ with AKC but can she show the dog until then?
Aloha,
jackie

Re: Disqualifing a dog for a bad bite-Any judges advise is much appreciated

According to both the akc.org, the only DQ's for Labrador Retrievers are as follows:

Disqualifications

1. Any deviation from the height prescribed in the Standard.

2. A thoroughly pink nose or one lacking in any pigment.

3. Eye rims without pigment.

4. Docking or otherwise altering the length or natural carriage of the tail.

5. Any other color or a combination of colors other than black, yellow or chocolate as described in the Standard.

It is also my understanding that a dog would have to receive # DQ's before he could not be shown any longer, so the other exhibitor will be able to continue showing with no problem.

Hope that helps.

Re: Re: Disqualifing a dog for a bad bite-Any judges advise is much appreciated

I have seen dogs disqualified for "lack of breed type". Could a judge roll in the bad bite into that? I wouldn't think so, but...

I believe a dog has 3 strikes before they are ineligible to be shown, so if this DQ holds up, you can still show the dog.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Disqualifing a dog for a bad bite-Any judges advise is much appreciated

But I have to ask.....why would you want to?

Re: Disqualifing a dog for a bad bite-Any judges advise is much appreciated

The dog should not have been DQ, but possibly "excused". There is a difference between DQ'd and excused. A dog may be excused by a judge as the judge sees fit in their opinion if there is a serious deviation from the standard, lack of merit/type, lameness, shyness/aggression or for being unable to be examined.

Dogs can be DQ'd for specific reasons that are listed in the standard.

A bad bite is simply a fault in the standard and the judge should have simply excused the dog for what he/she considered a serious fault.

A dog that has been DQ for the same reason 3 times cannot be shown in conformation shows again.

A dog can receive as unlimited excuses.

Re: Re: Disqualifing a dog for a bad bite-Any judges advise is much appreciated

Thanks for the clarification. The difference between "excused" and "DQ" is the key. Going back to the original question, it would seem that this dog can show the next day, whether it was truly DQ'd or just excused.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Disqualifing a dog for a bad bite-Any judges advise is much appreciated

Brdr,

I wasn't suggesting any judge would want to. I was just wildly speculating as to what possibly might have happened.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disqualifing a dog for a bad bite-Any judges advise is much appreciated

Sorry Mike, I was actually asking why anyone would want to show a bitch with an underbite therefore why the concern - I should have quoted the OP to be more clear...

Re: Re: Re: Disqualifing a dog for a bad bite-Any judges advise is much appreciated

Thanks for all your input, the clubs finally did find the rules on the DQ and the dog was DQ'd wrongly, sec 8 and 8a have the rules on this. The lady that owns the dog is a newbie to showing dogs and the dogs bite was fine until she hit 6 months old and at 7 1/2 months old the bite went undershot, dont' know if it will return to normal or not but as she had paid her entry fee for the show today she wanted to show her regardless, I did tell her not to enter the dog in anymore conformation shows unless that bite corrects.
Aloha,
jackie