Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Percentage of dogs with HD that are symptomatic vd those that are non-symptomatic the majority of th

Does anyone here know a good website that shows statistically the percentage of dogs with HD that are symptomatic vs those that are non-symptomatic the majority of their lives?

Any research, or even your personal experience as a breeder would be healpful. Specifically regarding MILD cases of HD. How many lead normal lives without consistent lameness or limping compared to those that need meds or lots of rest and restricted activity?

TIA :)

Re: Percentage of dogs with HD that are symptomatic vd those that are non-symptomatic the majority o

I only have personal experience, but I have an 11 year old girl with bilateral grade one hips who is the soundest dog in my house. She also has FCP in one elbow.

She was lame off and on in her first two years but grew out of it. She still gets up on the bed when she wants and still goes out for long walks. She also had a long obedience career and the hips didn't hold her back.

Re: Percentage of dogs with HD that are symptomatic vd those that are non-symptomatic the majority o

I had one that had the worse set of hips I had ever seen....I do OFA films for clients. He had NO acetabulum. The femoral heads were terribly deformed. He never showed any rear limb lameness.

I have one, severe, NO symptoms as of yet and he is over 4

Re: Re: Percentage of dogs with HD that are symptomatic vd those that are non-symptomatic the majori

Both as a breeder and a vet I can tell you that a large percentage of dog with mild HD or worse can lead a normal active life.I tell my clients to keep them thin, good consistant exercise and let them do what they want for as many years as they want. I do reccomend they go ahead and put them on a glucosamine, chondrotin, msm supplement even if asyptomatic to help slow down the progression of the DJD that will come eventually.Dr.Milton (big ortho surgeon) has always told me that a large percentage of dogs that are painful as young dogs will improve drastically, often to the point of no lameness, once they get past one to one and a half years of age. Debbie

Re: Re: Percentage of dogs with HD that are symptomatic vd those that are non-symptomatic the majori

Same here, as bad of hips as I could ever imagine. 8 yrs old and no limping or lameness.