Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hard to adjust?

I have a puppy buyer who would like me to keep their puppy an additional month because it would be more convenient for her to pick the puppy up. (She's traveling to Miami that weekend and could pick pup up on her way back). The puppy would be 12 weeks old before going to her new home.I have my concerns and am wondering if I made the right choice with this particular puppy buyer. Is it in the puppy's best interest and will it be harder to make the adjustment to a new home at that age?

Re: Hard to adjust?

I don't think it's that big an issue. Well socialized Labs are pretty adaptable. I have done this for a puppy buyer.

Mike

Should not be a problem at all. I wouldn't worry:)

Did you require payment in full, or did you hold the puppy an additional month and take full payment when picked up? My concern is I'm refusing puppy buyers now, if this buyer changes her mind it would be much easier to place an eight week old puppy than a 12 week old pup. I guess if I'm not having good thoughts about this person, I should make changes now.

Re: Re: Hard to adjust?

Payment now, unless it's someone you know and trust.

Mike

I personally have held a puppy for an extra 2-3 weeks before on rare occasions for a puppy buyer. It seems its always that spring litter around the spring break time . And I havent had an issue with my puppies stressing either .
Sometimes it is also kinda nice because that second pup keeps my own pup company and they enjoy the play time together .But they adjust easily.
But I always invite that person to come out at 7 - 8 weeks of age to see their potential pup and at that time I have them fill out the contract and PAY me the purchase price of their puppy.
If there is any 2nd shot or wormings needed to be done in their absence then there is the fee added on to them.
Some times we have charged a nominal boarding fee to cover the food. The buyer will not find anyone more caring than their own puppies breeder .
If God forbid something happened to their puppy, then I would refund the money as that would not be their fault.
But if they simply changed their mind and decided they did not wish to have the puppy after their return then they will be charged a small portion of the puppy value and will need to wait till the puppy is resold to get the balance.
This happens very, very seldom .
sue

I picked up my puppy when she was about 14 weeks old and I think it was actually easier on the both of us. She spent an extra few weeks learning bite inhibition with her dam and the littermates that her breeder kept, and I think, was easier to crate train and housebreak. I've heard of people breeders keeping the whole litter intact until 12 weeks so i don't think the pup will have any issues adjusting. If there are other issues that are creeping up that are making you worry about this person as a puppy buyer then maybe I'd think twice but I wouldn't let few extra weeks deter you from someone who could be an otherwise perfect puppy buyer.

I've done it a few times to accommodate teachers with summers off or families with planned vacations.

Puppy must be paid in full and I usually charge extra $50 to cover food and vaccines that will be needed.

I bet it was easier getting a puppy at 14 weeks rather than at 8 weeks. A puppy who has been with me 6 weeks longer would have 6 weeks more of training--done by me. Here is my feeling. I take 2 months + off from work to have a litter. Most of the litter is sold before the breeding and all are sold by 2-3 weeks. I do not like when I am "sucker punched" by a puppy buyer who informs me of a long planned vacation a week before they are to pick up their puppy. If it was long planned why not tell me before then? I am not desparate for puppy buyers. I have no shortage of wonderful, loving homes. What makes a particular person think they are so special that they can have me raise their pup fro extra weeks. I find it disruptive. The puppy I am keeping needs to start crate training and becoming part of our household. The puppy left is confused and of course starts thinking we are his forever home.
JMO but I think it's best for me and my family and my dogs and the puppy I keep if all ups go to their new homes at 8 or 9 weeks.

Re: Re: Re: Hard to adjust?

Our breed is such an adaptable one.
The puppy should do fine.
I recently placed a 13 week old female
that adjusted beautifully. She was potty trained, slept in a crate at night,
ate in her crate & was walking on lead.
She played with my older house dogs & was well
socialized. The lady that adopted her wrote a wonderful thank you letter stating
how well the pup adjusted to her new home & surroundings.
If your concern is the individual, ask for
the price of the puppy in advance, or
a substantial deposit. This should get
a commitment/ positive or negative, from your client.
I've kept puppies an extra 2-4 weeks
(at a fee) & the benefit of having an
older pup with more training
was the new owners.

If that's your concern, just tell you you will require full payment now, to hold her the extra month.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Did you require payment in full, or did you hold the puppy an additional month and take full payment when picked up? My concern is I'm refusing puppy buyers now, if this buyer changes her mind it would be much easier to place an eight week old puppy than a 12 week old pup. I guess if I'm not having good thoughts about this person, I should make changes now.

I bought a puppy at 12 weeks and he was much easier to manage at 12 weeks than at 8 weeks. He slept through the night, was basically potty trained in a week (more or less) was fabulously socialized, and just wonderful. The 8 week old puppy was great, but so much more work. Getting up in the middle of the night to run a puppy outside for a month was exhausting. I did lose weight though.

A

"yes--hard for the puppy, hard for our household" are you the same person as "how would you handle this?" If not, this is directed more at the tone expressed in the message for "yes--hard..." than for "how would..."

To go back to the real question though, it is certainly not harder for a puppy to adjust to a new home at 12 weeks instead of 8 weeks. In our experience, our boy was a bit better socialized and understood his crate by the time his breeders LET him leave at 12 weeks.

I do understand the inconvenience of an extra mouth to feed and an extra body to potty - but isn't it better for the puppy to be at the breeder's home instead of in a kennel this young. Yes, the buyer could have made arrangements earlier (the buyer may also have hope to avoid the trip altogether, but found that wasn't a possibility). As far as crate training the 8 week old that is staying, go ahead and start crate training the littermate too. The new owners will appreciate it, and it isn't that much harder.

K

I'm in full agreement with Hard for puppy/hard on household. I will offer to watch the puppy the weekend she is in Miami, but I feel 7-8 weeks is the best time to be placed in their new homes. It's alot of work, work that I enjoy, but puppy buyers need to realize what goes into raising a litter and certainly what their responsibility (and inconvenience) will be the next 10-15 years with their additional family member. It's not up to me and I would much rather know now, and get the puppy placed in a better suited home.