Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Expecting 2 maybe 3 puppies /CS or natural odds

Hi,
I just had an xray taken on saturday on my pregnant bitch and we saw two pupps.There was a slight possibility of a 3rd puppy skeleton. She is due on Jan 30 -Jan 31 . I did see the skeletons on 2 for sure. So a small litter. :(
I do not see where she is round or plump like most girls get when there are 5-8 puppies in the belly. This will be her first litter.I am hoping these kids will not be horses then .
Im curiuos if any of you have felt that the odds for a CS is increased on some of your girls when there were only 2 puppies inside.
Shes 3 years old . I already have notified my vet so that he is on call.
We have prepared her nesting area already in the house where our new mommys stay .Im going to remain optimistic that she can whelp them naturally.
I just have had only one other girl that had one puppy a long time ago and we did have to go in after that puppy.
So I would like to hear from any one that have had luck with 1-2 puppys being born naturally.
sue
gregoireslabradors.com

Re: Expecting 2 maybe 3 puppies /CS or natural odds

Some say 3 or under or 8 or over a C-section will save the most puppies.

I don't see any reason for a c section. C sections carry additional dangers to mom and babies so I don't know why someone would say under 3 or over 8 saves the most. With only one or two babies she might go longer than 63 days.

With 3 I would only go CS if contractions didn't start. Your girl could easily have the litter naturally. However, I would also alert the vet to be prepared for the possibility of handling the situation if it appeared there might be trouble.

Re: Re: Expecting 2 maybe 3 puppies /CS or natural odds

Yes I agree. We are going to watch her like a hawk .The temperature will be checked 3 times a day this coming week. Ill watch for discomfort, or lack of appetite. also .
We do progestrone testing on all our girls so I will know when they are considered full term for the vets sake also .
Shes getting the fleshy nipples, at least although shes not really bagged up like girls are when they have 7.
Previos generations of my chocolates have al free whelped, but always had at least 4 puppies.
So this will be a first for a CS on a choc in years for me if it happens.

sue

Re: Re: Re: Expecting 2 maybe 3 puppies /CS or natural odds

I would do a C and save both of those babys. I have had one had to end up with C. Have had two and lost one. It is very hard for the girls to have enough contractions to get both out. And then if they have a large head or shoulders. I would do temp and soon as you see first stages go in and have a planned C. JMHO and experience from me and others with two or three pups expected.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Expecting 2 maybe 3 puppies /CS or natural odds

I've done alot of whelping (whelped out pups for other people too) and would definately do a c-section. Depending on what type of c-section your vet does, it can actually be very safe. My vet does a sedative and a local. The pups come out squealing and moving all over. There is no waking them up and worrying about loosing them.
Anyways, we've had a few 1-3 litters and no matter how many times the bitch had whelped or how we thought she could have them based on x-rays, I always ended up with a c-section. Some of the pups didn't make it the first 3 times because we tried to let them have them on their own. Since then we have done c-sections at the time of temp drop and that's worked out great. We've never lost a puppy and never had issues with even first time moms taking to the pups. Good Luck!

Never do a C uness it is really necessary.

I lost two litters of three because the mother didn't get enough hormone to start contraction in a timely manner. Since then, I have notified my regular vet and my repro vet when the temperature dropped, waited 24 hours or as long as I could the next day, and gone in for a C-section if she doesn't go into hard labor. My repro vet does progecterone testing just to be sure. I have had two singletons, a litter of 6 and a litter of twelve by C-section, and all were fine. The only negative was for my wallet, and let me tell you, losing a whole litter was a REAL negative.

Thankyou for all your input on this small two puppy litter we are expecting this coming weekend . I have at least confirmed that there will be some issues possibly with her and we are going to be ready to jump right on it as soon as we see the temperature drops and it stays down .
My vet is great and he will be on call when I need him too.
Thankyou so much
sue

Re: Re: Re: Re: Expecting 2 maybe 3 puppies /CS or natural odds

I believe that we sould let nature take it's course. I would never needlessly do a section. I've had many litters of 1-3 puppies and no problems. Of course if problems are seen I would surely do a section then, allow her to at least try to whelp her puppies naturally.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Expecting 2 maybe 3 puppies /CS or natural odds

Possibly you have never found yourself at a vet's office at midnight with a vet you never saw before- just the two of you- to perform a C-section. He tried to get the bitch to cooperate, but when she wouldn't do so, used a different anesthetic, which was not as good for the puppies. There was no one to help except you. You were left to try to revive three puppies that were so deeply under that you couldn't get them breathing. Or two of the three puppies are born a day late, all DOA. A C-section must be done to remove the last one, also dead. Contrast that with a C-section done during regular working hours with eight or nine trained people and an oxygen tank to help with the puppies. They were able to give the right stimulants in dosages I never would have used, to get the last ones out (there were 12) going. Believe me, if you have been through both situations, the choice is clear. I now wait until working hours are almost over, and if she has not had any contractions in 24 hours after the temp drop and the progesterone level is low enough, I have them do the C-section. Before I became more proactive with C-sections, I had three littes of two or three. I lost two litters and had C-sections anyway.

I guess I consider a 24 hour plus delay after the temperature drop with only emergency vet assistance for the next 16 hours a problem.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Expecting 2 maybe 3 puppies /CS or natural odds

That is so true. Or an emergency clinic at 3:00 am that wants you to sign alot of papers that you plan to pay all bills while your female is in stress. Going in slow motion the whole time. It was an awful experience. Plan the C and take care of your female.

In the past 30 years, I have had many 1 - 3 puppy litters and have never had a c-section done, and had live pups.

I also know the ovulation day from progesterone testing so I know the day they are due.

I do keep track of the temp and would not let a bitch go more than 24 hours after the 2 degree drop in temp.

I feel there has been alot of good information you have all given to me. Thi is a difficult decision to make. I to have been at a vets office at 3 in the morning it was just us, the vet, and my husband and I. It is scary and you also are trying to be brave and not emotional and not get light headed. If its a controlled cs .I would much prefer no it not be a stressed labor late at nite because shes been straining and straining with no luck, and the risk of a pup that is possibly dead and blocking the way .
I also had one of those pups that I call the hippo puppy. Its dead and swelled up 2 times a normal size. I have seen two of them over the years and born naturally in a large litter. There is a technical name for that but it is something to see.
I have called my vet again today and we are going to be in touch when the temperature does its drop.
Her progestrone surge was 6.3 on the morning of Dec 1st. We did a transcervical AI on Dec 2nd. and on Dec 4th . So 63 days will be Feb 3rd monday . So im thinking the temperature could drop sunday or late sunday .
sue

Based on experience I would allow the bitch try to deliver without a c-section. If she doesn't begin labor, do progesterone levels until she reaches 2.0 ng. before a c-section.

*hippo puppy* is a walrus or water puppy. My bitch delivered a walrus pup that weighed 3 pounds naturally. It was the last pup of 9.

I'd feel good about that timing, Sue. You won't have to worry about the vet's being closed for the weekend.

Right thats what they called it , a WATER PUPPY. The puppy had expired in the womb and the body swells up and this sometimes causes a blockage during the delivery.
You just never know when it can happen I guess.
So you must just be aware of your bitches actions.
So I also always wondered what the progestrone level does when a bitch begins to go into labor. You mentioned 2.0 . Can any one explain what the nana gram levals do during pregnancy and then what happens when it is about D day for mom.?
sue