Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is my Vet taking advantage of me?

Today is the day my 12 month old lab is to be neutered. To weeks ago we brought him in for his pre surgery check up. During that check-up he was to have his blood work done and everything else asociated with a pre surgery check-up. During that check-up, all they did was have him weighed (67 pds)
They didn't do any blood work or take a fecal exam. They said it would all be taken care of when we bring him in to get neutered. Then what is the point of the pre-surgery check-up? So, we bring him down to the vet this morning and to drop him off for surgery. As soon as we get home we get a call from the vet stating that they don't want to do surgery today because they think my dog is carrying Limes Disease. They say he doesn't have Lime Desease but it is in him blood stream. They want to delay surgery for a month while he is on a certain antibiotic. He has never shown any sign of Limes desease or anything else. He is in perfect mental and physical health. My dog has been on Frontline for over 6 months and has never had a tic. I groom him all the time and would have noticed a tic if you had one. It seems to me that my Vet is trying to bend me over.... Suggestions?

Re: Is my Vet taking advantage of me?

Just my thoughts - I think that if you were in the office and weighed - they could have done the blood then. As far as the Lyme reading goes - do you know if they did a c6 - that would tell you how much exposure he might have had. We started our girl on meds but when we followed up with the c6 - she only had a slight ly elevated reading and we did decide to continue treatment (because she is a breeding bitch) but is was borderline.

When we have a dog that young, we usually do mini blood work for minor surgery . I guess I would have to say that your vet is being cautious, but not unreasonable, but I would have done blood on initial visit.

Get a second opinion. The cost of the test with a different veterinary office is well worth it in the long run. You need to rely on your vet and not always have doubt in the back of your mind.

Re: Re: Is my Vet taking advantage of me?

Now that I think about it, they when we brought him home at 8 weeks old we brought him straight to the Vet and they said he had giardia. We had him treated for it immediately. When we notified our breeder she said none of the other pups or the mother had it. His stools were fine and he was in great healh. I think I will get a second opinion.

Could this have been a erlichia test? This is a tick borne disease that is picked up with a certain type of heartworm test. Much more likely to be tested for routinely than lymes disease. Just wondering...

The tick that carries Lyme is very small, a little bigger than a poppyseed and easily missed.

I think a 2-nd opinion sounds like the right thing to do. The vet may be wrong or could be taking advantage. This way you will know what is happening with your dog.

Re: Re: Is my Vet taking advantage of me?

Based on my expierience, it sounds to me as if your vet did an in house snap test and the color showed lightly positive. If that is the case then they they are looking out for the welfare of your dog. however if you feel a second opinion would make you feel better then go ahead, but bear in mind that another vet may just ignore a light color change in a snap test.
I hope it works out.