Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
to show or not to show

I have a 14 month old girl I really like, front, rear, coat, bone, attitude she's got it all.

EXCEPT her tail is a good otter shape, but not a lot of coat on it. Looks add against her mother and her father's tail was well wrapped. It certainly will look different against the dogs in the ring with her

Do I bother to try to show her? Would you?

Re: to show or not to show

If you like all the pieces except the tail at 14 months you'll probably like the entire package when she's fully matured. I usually don't show my girls until after two because they always look better with maturity.

I would try a few shows and see what happens. If you're not getting placed, then I'd say it looks as though it's a waste of time and money. If however, she doesn't do bad, then you have your answer. You could also wait and see if it changes as she matures. Every dog has its faults, some are more noticable than others and some much more important than others. If everything else is really nice, and it's just a fault as opposed to an actual disswualification, I'd try her out.

I would show her. A judge might like some of her good qualities more than the other dogs she is competing against in the ring at that time and she could win.

Re: Re: to show or not to show

I have a bitch with a lovely thick coat, but her tail is not wrapped, it's a bit feathery, but thick. Is this what you'd call an open coat then? Is she likely to pass it along or could her pups have better coats? Her mom had a nice,mostly wrapped tail.

Re: Re: Re: to show or not to show

We don't seem to see as many wrapped tails as we should in the ring lately. Its a shame. Happy tails, and to much feathering. Head, coats, tail, so important.

Don't worry about winning right now. Showing her for the experience can pay off later when she is ready to win.

Mike

Thanks Mike, you are right.

Her tail is well wrapped, perhaps too well wrapped, as it looks thin, but flat underneath. No feathering at all.

We shall see maybe in the spring what she looks like, and maybe take her and her tail to the Potomac.

"No feathering at all."

She shouldn't have feathering. I would show her and see how it goes.

I still stick with my answer for two reasons.

1) I don't want to take a dog out to be judged by other breeders until it looks good. You are judged by what you have at the end of the leash. They may not recognize the dog when it's matured but they will always remember you bring out young, non-winning dogs.

2) In today's economic climate I think paying $25 for a training session is a bit much. The sanction and fun matches are often big enough to give the dog the experience in the ring with other dogs and they are intended as training tools at much better prices.

Re: Re: to show or not to show

If my puppy was really looking bad, I would agree with you Cathy and not show her. I had a puppy that went Best in Sweeps and Best Puppy in Specialty this summer at 7 months old. (sorry about the brag) She then went through a real gangly stage, so much so that I didn't want to embarrass her, me, or the judges that put her up. I left her home for about 6 months. Now she is looking pretty good and I showed her for the first time in 7 months two weeks ago.

The OP sounded like her bitch looked decent, and she wouldn't be embarrassed, she just wasn't crazy about her tail. In a case like that, I say show her and have fun, if you want too.

The money thing is a personal decision. Fun matches are great, but there aren't always enough fun matches at the right time.

It's more of an issue if you have a lot of dogs to show. In that case you may have to choose who gets to go by who has the best chance of winning; but, I do think puppies need to get out there for the experience, whether it be fun matches or actual shows. It makes a big difference later. You may have enough fun matches where you are to get them the socialization and show experience they need.

I show dogs for fun. Trust me, no one likes to win more than I do, but the best I can do at a dog show is to show the dog as well as possible and hope for the best. If I show a puppy and we have fun and show well, I go away happy; win or not. I admittedly am happier when we win. Actually, that doesn't just apply to puppies. If I am showing an adult and we show well, that's as good as I can do; the rest is up to the judge.

The top breeders lose more than they win. I don't care if other breeders see me bring out a young, non-winning dog. In fact, it happens all the time.

To me this isn't one of those right or wrong things. For some, one way works, for others, the other way is better.

Mike

Good post Mike. I agree, if you do the best that you can in the ring and your dog performs it is a good day at the shows. I also agree that I am happier when I win.