Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sam's Exceed Dog Food

Hi.
I am considering trying the Sams brand Exceed dog food. I went there Sat and they have 2 different kinds, lamb and rice and then the chicken. I was thinking of the lamb and rice as the chicken has alot of protein and fat?
Anyone posting feed this? For your typical lab, how much are you feeding per day? hard stools? any info would be great.
Thanks!

Re: Sam's Exceed Dog Food

Yep...works great for my guys. Actually I have the youngsters on the Lamb & Rice. I use the Chicken rice on a couple of dogs that need a higher protein/fat ratio.

I feed about the same amount as I did with ProPlan. For adults average is 2 cups twice per day...some dogs get less or more depending on what they need. Stools are good, coats are nice, good muscle tone...

I do think not all food works well for all dogs...I had tried the Kirkland food a couple of years ago and my dogs did terrible on it...but my friend feeds it and dogs are great.

Exceed has worked well for us over the years. I am sure you will get alot of opinions. This is just our experience.

Re: Re: Sam's Exceed Dog Food

I feed Exceed too and it has worked great with mine. I feed 1 1/2 - 2c twice a day,sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the dog and how much exercise they are getting. Love it!

It is true, every dog is different. You just have to find what works for your dogs and your budget.

I presently feed most of my dogs the purina one - lamb and rice. Sorta pleased, but it does have corn in it. What's in the exceed? Who makes it? and what is the cost compared to proplan?
I do like getting the rebate checks but might consider changing their food.
I have noticed on my male dogs feet the fur between his toes look like they have a redish color to them. I don't think he has had that before. Is this the dog food I am using?

Do you see him liking or chewing his feet? I believe that is where the reddish pink color is coming from. It COULD be caused the food. Exceed is found at Sam's and it also contains corn.

Re: Red between toes

In all likelyhood the red between his toes is due to his licking his feet brought about by alleriges.
Next time you take your dog to the vet ask about this and I would bet your vet would confirm this.

I have been feeding the chicken and rice for about 15 years now. The dogs like it. Adults get 3 cups daily, decent stools, etc.

I feed adults Exceed chick/rice, puppies eat the lower protien Lamb/rice, have for 10 years, no allergies, and no complications. I am not a food nut, and my dogs are easy keepers, everyone is happy with it.

Re: Re: Re: Sam's Exceed Dog Food

I have been feeding Exceed C&R & L&R for 3 years now, love it!
My dogs do much better on it than on Purina Performance or ONE L&R

We've been feeding it here for the past couple of months. So far, so good. Nice coats, good energy, firm stools, etc. No complaints about palatability from the girls either. Each of them gets about 2c- 2 1/2c twice a day- they're pretty active. They've done well on both formulas, but I think we might stick with the Chicken. It's definately a pretty good buy at around $26 for 44#. Cheaper than PP Perf (which ranges from $36-$42 for 37.5# around here). This Spring and Summer will be our real test as that's our busiest season with training, tests, trials, and shows.

Darcy

I have fed Chicken and Rice for over three years. Like it alot. Dogs love it. Small stools. Healthy looking dogs. We feed 1 1/2 cups to 2 for growing active dogs. Good food for the price. Have never fed the Lamb.

Have been using it for a year and love it!

I like it but I am so far away from a sams club that i don't use it anymore. it is good food though

We have feed it for 3 years. Hard working field dogs and never had a problem. Our one male that had loose stools on other foods does well on Exceed.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Sam's won't be carrying its Exceed Chicken and Rice food much longer. I had heard the rumor that Purina (who makes it for Sam's) was pulling it and putting it under their name at a higher price, but I did't believe it until I actually asked the dog food buyer for our local Sam's Club. He confirmed they'd no longer be getting any chicken and rice. Currently Sam's doesn't have plans to stop the lamb and rice though. My dogs have done great on the Exceed C and R and I don't know what to buy for them next. I bought every bag my local Sam's had left once the buyer confirmed the rumors and I'm down to my last bag. If anyone knows someone at Purina we can talk to and find out what exactly they will do with this formula, I sure would like to know.

You are totally wrong on that, they are continuing the food, thing is if in the area you live it doesn't sell good then they discontinue the chicken, they say the lamb outsells the chicken by far for some reason in all stores but if the chicken doesn't get enough sales it gets discontinued.
Aloha,
jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Sam's won't be carrying its Exceed Chicken and Rice food much longer. I had heard the rumor that Purina (who makes it for Sam's) was pulling it and putting it under their name at a higher price, but I did't believe it until I actually asked the dog food buyer for our local Sam's Club. He confirmed they'd no longer be getting any chicken and rice. Currently Sam's doesn't have plans to stop the lamb and rice though. My dogs have done great on the Exceed C and R and I don't know what to buy for them next. I bought every bag my local Sam's had left once the buyer confirmed the rumors and I'm down to my last bag. If anyone knows someone at Purina we can talk to and find out what exactly they will do with this formula, I sure would like to know.

Jackie is correct... this rumor start a month ago and a rep even came on this forum and posted that the info was incorrect and to email him with any concerns.

Anne, I just don't think every Sam's carrys both the Lamb and the Chicken. Thank goodness, the one that is close to us has both. But our understanding is, that it will be continued.

What is the price on Sam's Club Exceed Chicken and Rice? I've been thinking of trying it.

Is it only available at Sam's? Or does Walmart carry it to?

ONLY available at Sam's , and I pay 26 dollars for chik/rice , I cannot imagine feeding this kennel anything else.

Can someone post the ingredients and the analysis? I am interested they just built a Sam's about 15mi from me.

Thanks

Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols - form of vitamin E), ground yellow corn, ground wheat, calcium phosphate, dried beet pulp, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, L-lysine monohydrochloride, choline cholride, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, vitamine A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Guaranteed analysis
Crude protein 30% min
Crude fat 20% min
Moisture 12% max
Crude fibre 4% max
Linoleic acid 1.6% min
Calcium 1.3% min
Phosphorus 1% min
Zinc 100mg/kg
Selenium 0.3 mg/kg
Vitamin A 12,000 IU/kg min
Vitamin E 100 IU/kg min
Ascorbic Acid * 70mg/kg min
Glucosamine* 350ppm
* Not recognised as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

Animal feeding tests using Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) procedures substantiate that Member's Mark EXCEED Performance Chicken & Rice Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

This is one subject I'm delighted to be wrong about. My local Sam's dog food buyer did tell me that the C&R sells better than the lamb though and that was why Purina was no longer making it for Sam's. So glad he was wrong too. I'll just need to drive a little further to get it. Thanks for correcting me.

$27 and only Sam's Clubs to my knowledge.

I asked them today and they said they had no intention of not having the C/R? They were getting low on it and I asked, because of what was said on this board the last time we talked about it on this forum?

Our Sams is $26.50, not bad price, that is for the C/R.