Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What do you do?

If you sold a pet quality female pup to a family.
And then they end up breeding it on a LR.
What would you do.? And you know about it sooner or later. Do you void the health guarantee.? Is there any penalities? What if later the said female had some type of health problem.And they said it was a genectic problem , would you refund or help out in anyway. Say sorry you bred her on a LR?
I have actually not had this happen yet.

I have a family very interested in a pup. Until they said the hubby would like to breed the female 1 litter, then spay it. I explained to them bout a pet quality. etc.....

Re: What do you do?

What's in your contract????

If these are the kind of people you think would do this, then why would you place a puppy with them.

If you think this situation could arise, simply refrain from placing a pup with them.

Each situation is different, but if you see it coming, ward it off before it gets there.

Good advice - hopefully you never have to down that road.

I would not sell a puppy to someone who talks about breeding it. They could do a Labradoodle litter and you will never know.

Re: Re: What do you do?

First off I would NOT sell them a dog.
If it's too late, hopefully you have some sort of penalty in your contract. Unfortunately, monetary penalties are the only kind that you can enforce legally, but hopefully that alone would deter then from breeding.
Say, $5000 penalty if the bitch is bred.
Make sure they understand this BEFORE they sign and hopefully they will decline to take the pup, or sign and never breed.

If you even had so much of an inkling that this type of scenario could happen, why in the world would you even consider placing a puppy with them? This is why it is important to get to know the persons intentions. Being their intentions were revealed move them on and wait for a more suitable family for the sake of the puppy and to eliminate future problems for yourself.

Re: Re: What do you do?

We can all have the best of intentions, but sometimes we get conned by people who LIE. And sometimes they just do stupid things.

All of us who sell on limited could be snookered by someone who breeds a mutt litter (labradoodles). If that is their intention, they don't care about the kennel name prefix, health clearances, etc.

Not sure if a penalty will hold up in a contract--I will certainly ask my attorney.

My health guarantee is void if the dog is bred without health clearances and meeting my requirements for full reg. But again, if their intent is to breed mutts, they don't care about that.

MK

Excellent question!

First, let me start by saying that anything you want to enforce or would like made clear, put it in the contract. Make sure they understand the terms before signing it.

Second, if you ever have a family whose intentions you question, do not place a pup with them. If you already have payment, refund it.

Third, I have in my contract a deadline for which they have to get the dog spayed or neutered, AND they must mail me a copy of the spay/neuter certification from their vet. If I do not recieve this paperwork on time, I will call them and see what's up.

Worst case senario, someone gets a pup from you, breeds it accidentaly or on purpose when you didn't want them to, they really isn't much you can do at that point. This is why carefuly screening is so important, making sure you feel confortable with them, and making sure they understand your terms. That's the best way to prevent a bad situation--not to say that it still won't ever happen.

You have done the right thing in explaining "pet quality" to them and you might try to go further explaining the purpose of a limited registration as well as the qualifications that reputable breeders require of their dogs prior to even considering breeding.

I expect this is a new world for them, but you are doing the right thing in educating them to the beauty of the breed and the lengths breeders go to protect the integrity of the breed.

Also, many people out there harbor misconceptions regarding so-called benefits to a dog that delivers a litter of puppies. You might go into the complications that may arise and the high vet bills and heartbreak that can result from pregnancy and delivery. That should give him pause.

Then you can evaluate whether or not these people understand your position. If they do, then they could be a perfect home. Encourage them to stay in touch if they do get a puppy. They may need further guidance along the way.

My contract includes a monetary penalty if they breed the dog/bitch at all.

after educateing the people and carefully writing the contract out you have to be fully comfortable with your puppy buyers and you can put a breach of contract clause in and be prepaired to inforce it. But if you think this is a possibility and you don't want it to occur or have legal action to take later just don't sell you rpup to them period. you are selling on a limited registration and pet pups are not to be bred, if it happened I definately would no longer honor any guarantees and I would take further action to take back pup and all off spring so this would not happen twice in future generations, with your name at the start of it all.
In this case I guess let the seller beware.

I would the contract read that the pup is not to be bred. If they then breed, I would think you could sue them for what they sold the pups for that they had in their litter. Just saying in the contract that the pup is sold on LR doesnt mean they cant breed. You need to put that in the contract. What does your contract say?

It is in our contract that if the dog is used for breeding, all warranties are void and we get the dog back, and they owe us for any expenses we incur in doing so.

It has to be in the contract. People can agree to anything with good intentions, at the time, and change their minds. Others will tell you what you want to hear.

Also, when having the "pet quality" discussion with non-breeders, you have to understand that they are looking at it from a different prospective than we are. All they want to produce is pet quality. In fact, pet quality sounds like a great thing them. The dog you are selling them is "pet quality" and there is nothing wrong with it.

I don't think that just because these people mentioned the thought of breeding hr once means that you shouldn't sell them a puppy. A lot of people have this thought, but are not serious about it. It just seem s like it might be a good idea. However, I wouldn't sell them a puppy if I wasn't convinced that they understood what my contract said and meant, and that they were in a agreement.

Even with the contract, it's hard to keep track of what your puppy buyers do with their dogs, let alone be able and willing to enforce it. If you don't feel like you can trust them to abide, don't sell them a dog.

Mike