Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
To register or not?

what benefit is it to me to register my kennel name other than keeping someone else from using it?

TY

Re: To register or not?

One thing I like is that the new owner can't change the dog's name if it has a registered kennel name in it. They can change it to anything they want otherwise.

Re: Re: To register or not?

Isn't there a new AKC rule that states if the dog has no points then the name can be completly changed? Or did i misunderstand something?

Re: Re: Re: To register or not?

People can't USE your kennel name without your permission, but they can sure TAKE IT OFF and change the rest of the name to whatever they want!

Re: Re: Re: Re: To register or not?

yes they can , this happened to me and then I later found out the bitch was bred prior to any clearences, thankfully this person no longer owns her and she is now being well carried for in a retirement home.

That is NOT correct information.
"A dog name containing a Registered Kennel Name cannot be changed without the written consent of the owner(s) of that Registered Kennel Name." This is printed in the rules and on the back of the Dog Name Change Authorization application.

This is from the AKC website:
Previously, a policy was in place that only allowed the owner to change a dog's name if the dog had been individually registered by its breeder and the request was accompanied by written permission from the breeder. The new regulation reads:
"The name of a dog registered with The American Kennel Club will be allowed to be changed provided the dog was whelped in the United States and in cases where the breeder(s) first individually registered the dog, their written consent would be required. A dog name containing a Registered Kennel Name cannot be changed without the written consent of the owner(s) of that Registered Kennel Name.

However, no change in the name will be recorded by The American Kennel Club after the dog has produced or sired an AKC registered litter or received an award at an AKC licensed or member event.

Any name change must comply with all AKC requirements."

My kennel name was not registered I was referring to what could happen if you don't register your kennel name

Any pet person can use an unregistered kennel name when they name their puppy. They will look at a pedigree and use a name from several generations back.

Princess Ashley Sandylands was a perfect example of a pet name.

How many litters do you need to breed under the kennel name to be able to register the kennel name with AKC?

Check on the AKC website, there it will tell you the fees and other protocol you need to register as well as giving tips on names. I think it can be registered for 5 years.