Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fat

What is the reason behind that most of Labrador breeder (Girls) are fat??

Re: Fat

to much food... not enough exercise!

Noooooooooooo.....Noooooooooo b'cause they are always very happy as are their dogs.

I must say, that WAY too many people do not truly understand the difference between fat and substance: even long time breeders who should know better I am appalled at how many breeders keep their dogs F-A-T and how many judges, particularly breeder-judges continually reward fat dogs. I have cheered when dogs like Buzz and Lacey were winning because they were fit AND typey examples of the breed.

I refuse to put weight on my Labs to get conformation wins. There are judges out there who have rewarded my dogs by giving them the win and they often comment about what good shape they are in. My dogs work and have multiple performance titles. There's no way I'm going to risk them being more prone to injury by putting excess weight on them to try and win some conformation points. No ah ah.

We need to have exhibitors who bring FIT dogs to the ring and judges who are knowledgable and put up correct dogs in good working condition. More breeders need to exercise their dogs and perhaps get some exercise themselves--the dogs and the owners will benefit from the exercise.

Please, don't talk about my behind that way

I'm not fat, I wear a size 5! What size do you wear?

Re: Re: Fat

runs and/or swims every day

Re: Re: Re: Fat

The poster appears to be talking about Labrador breeders, people, not dogs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fat

I feel so bad for those fat dogs. Poor things that are out of breath and couldn't retrieve a bumper five times in a row to save their lives. They must feel like they are stuck in a body that doesn't fit what they want to do in their mind.

I hate to agree with such a nasty post but there does seem to be some truth there. Not only in labs but all breeds.

Seems like large women and gay men show dogs.
There are a few exceptions but not many.

I can only think of 10 women that are not overweight.
Weird huh.....

I think she means our mama dogs. Too many calories, not enough exercise. Or, I like to describe the condition, "She makes very good use of her food."

For the same reason you are so rude.

Lets face it, most Americans in general are overweight to some degree. That said, I think its very sad that people think they are so much more better because they are heterosexual or a size 6 instead of 16. Its no wonder so many people have eating disorders. And someones sexual orientation is really none of our business. Love to know where you got the statistics for how many skinny heterosexual people show in the ring

What matters most to me is that I have someone who loves me very much for who I am. I rather be fat and loved then thin and miserably alone in this world!

I feel sick!!! I'm skinny (5ft8in and 128lbs) and heterosexual and I breed and show. Hubby obviously isn't aware that he's supposed to sport pink shirts and striped bermudas. Does this mean our dogs are crap???

Sorry, JP, but the quality of your dogs is measured by the size of your waistline. Now, my dogs are high quality, and are getting better and better every year!

This is one of the rudest threads yet. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I really hope it gets removed or people just stop fueling this fire. How downright mean.

I can hardly wait for Tina to check in and find out that a bunch of people here thought she was referring to humans instead of mama dogs - LOL!!!

Cool it! What does the size of the handler matter - it's the dogs we're supposed to be breeding. And, believe me, growing up as a gawky teenager with the nickname of "stork" was no easier to live with than the extra pounds sported by my rounder friends.

If we could all learn to be happy with our size, our sexual orientations, our salary, our religion and our political leanings, life would be so much better... and we could laugh at ridiculous threads like this one!

little dry humor never hurt anyone.
If you take it personally then you have self confidence issues!

I once was thin.....my husband and I together blossomed over time. He doesn't seem to mind and neither do I

Jen, your post was totally uncalled for!!! People should not feel the need to reply and defend themselves for their weight or sexual orientation.

Back to the dogs, the dogs should be shown in working condition. Not fat!! I think certain breeders are trying to put weight on their dogs to make up for the lack of substance in their lines. The problem is when judge's reward the fat dogs, which I am seeing less and less of, it becomes harder to impliment change and breeders don't bother to condition their dogs.

I agree!!! I also think the original post was made about dogs, not people. Why would anyone agree with something as idiotic as people's weight and people's sexual orientation That is all we need now are Weight Police and Sexual Orientation Police, it's bad enough we have these people as labrador police

I would rather be at a healthy weight and HAPPY and treat people with kindness around me, than be thin and nasty MEAN.

I think we were talking about dogs, not weight?? Well, healthy weight can be nasty MEAN too, just like thin, but lets get on the subject of dogs and not your philosphy of weight and being MEAN and NASTY, this is all subjective critisim in itself

Why don't you all just have a glass of wine (not whine) and take your dogs out for a walk.
JP's humor is always kind, and her writing is always enjoyable.

Regardless of the lofty opinion you may hold about yourself, and the prickly delight you may get in casting a few zingers, always remember that nobody is perfect and we should all remember to think about walking a mile in another person's shoes before passing critical judgments.

By the way, I know a great many labrador breeders who are quite thin, average weight, a bit plump and a bit too heavy....that does not make them any better or worse people simply for the size they wear.

"we should all remember to think about walking a mile in another person's shoes before passing critical judgments"

That way if you offend them with your judgements, at least you are a mile away when they get mad AND you have their shoes!

and the spelling police!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I agree!!! I also think the original post was made about dogs, not people. Why would anyone agree with something as idiotic as people's weight and people's sexual orientation That is all we need now are Weight Police and Sexual Orientation Police, it's bad enough we have these people as labrador police

This is the first time I've posted to this Forum and now am some what intimated (no spell chk?) after reading postings of people vs dog weight!!! I'm quite new to this world of showing and am still confused on the weight issue and which judges like the heavier dog vs the lean and fit. Both my boys (Snowdenhill's Joshua Julibee and Snowdenhill's Rompin the Garden) are 100lbs each and all muscle. When I'm told you need to put more weight on these dogs or don't show them to this or that judge because he/she likes heavier dogs, I'm like, but these dogs work out, they run for an hour 5 days a week, why should I jeopardize their health with fat weight? Maybe part of the confirmation should be a 50 yard dash - just kidding!!!

I have found this thread very amusing and a great insight into the sense of humor (note I am using American spelling which is foreign to me - an English born True Blue Aussie) or lack there of that some of the listers seem to have.

I am actually very short for my weight. By my calculations I should be at least 7' 9" tall, not 5" 2". Sad ain't it.

BTW I'm having my mouth sewn up for the next two months so that I can fit my butt into the airplane seat for my trip to USA at the end of March.

See y'all at the Potomac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fat

well, let's see, Jen if you're not fat then -- oh, I guess we all know your secret now!!

By the way, I know a great many labrador breeders who are quite thin, average weight, a bit plump and a bit too heavy....that does not make them any better or worse people simply for the size they wear.

This sounds like people that you would meet everywhere not just breeders.

And..... good one Maureen!!! LOL

Thanks... I was beginning to think my sense of humor was too far out for people to appreciate

My indications were toward the BREEDERS/HANDLERS not toward the DOGS.
Whereas i see some posts turn toward wrong directions.
I also like big blocky dogs(with good confirmation) but not the ladies who run with lot of efforts in the ring.......but some even look pretty

Tina I hope you got your jollies.

and no manners, eh Tina?

You people are kidding, right!? Your so bored that you are really picking on peoples weight. IT'S ABOUT THE DOGS HERE PEOPLE! Who the hell are any of you to be picking on anyones size big or small, gay or straight, black or white. Are there really people still today that only want to make friends with the blonde, thin, blue eyed girls !!!!!!!! Come on we're different and that makes the world a great place, it would be pretty boring if we were all the same. As for the dogs I believe that they should all be in working condition. There are times in people lives that they don't let there dogs get enough exercise due to a crazy life style and that happens to all of us at certain times. But for the most part the dogs are exercised, whether it be working or playing! So I do agree it's really nice to see a dog in great shape and good weight.
I tend to like people for who they are, not what they look like!

you mean the girls (as in *itches) or us, the breeders????

Many of us are fat.

Most of our dogs are fat.

You can use the word bitch when referring to a female canine on a dog breeder site.

See below, she says she was referring to people.

At least I and many others I know who are "huggable" are pretty on the inside:)
When I see stuff like this I think of that bumper sticker but with my own twist. I may be fat, but I can lose weight. You will always be a Bitc*.

Learn how to be gracious about the good looks and healthy body you seem to think you are blessed to have.Things like the loss of beauty or youth hit very hard those who have put such a high value on them. A lifetime of looking down on others can take a unforeseen turn.
How sad that some people do not know what is really valuable in life until it is too late.

And people want to know why I am shy about getting into the ring myself.

Annie

As an ACE certified personal trainer I have spent the last 16 1/2 years of my life helping people that are over weight and teaching them to live healthier lives. It is one of my passions in life.

This thread just turns me off completely. I can not see the humor in picking on people that are over weight.

Thank you Patty for all you do:)
Now....could you come move in with me for about 6 months?
Annie

Sure Annie, as long as my dogs can come with me :-)