Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which Airlines, Delta or Continental ??

I have always received pups on our end from Delta. I read some of the reviews and they didn't sound too good.

What about shipping pups Continental ? Which do you all prefer when you ship pups ? Thanks !

Re: Which Airlines, Delta or Continental ??

I sent a grown dog on Continental once and all went well. It was a short, non-stop flight. Is one of your optional routes shorter than the other or with fewer stops?

Re: Re: Which Airlines, Delta or Continental ??

It'd be flying from Sea Tac to San Diego, Lindbergh Field airport. Before I call Continental up, I wanted to get everyone's view point on this forum.

Continental may be your only choice this time of year due to weather restrictions.
I ship Continental and Delta, never any problems with either in past 15 years.

Do panic, one good thing about a lab puppy is once they are taken out of the crate and receiving all that TLC they dont seem to remember the past 4 hours of stress.

sorry that should be DONT panic

Conitnental is the only way to fly!!! They have a wonderful program. my pups have always been cleann and dry when they arrived and in super good spirits!!! They are climate controlled in the cargo area...

I was looking on Delta's website and they way that you need a acclimation certificate from the vets if the temps are 40 and below to fly.

My pups are raised in the house in 70 degrees temps and no chance of acclimating in this current weather outside.

My question is, do these pups that are dropped off to be shipped, spend time outside waiting to be put in cargo ? That wouldn't be good if a pup is used to living inside a warm cozy house.

Not with Continental Air, like the above poster stated pups go from inside airport to temp controlled vans to plane back to van to airport. Never left outside.

Pups always are well taken care of by observation from both me the shipper and the puppy buyer.

You must have the letter for Delta because there is a chance they will be outside while being loaded onto the plane. Be sure to check with the airline you plan to use for required paperwork and what is allowed on / in the crate.

Sounds like Alaska is my option since Delta and Continental don't have direct flights. They stop in at Houston and the pup would change flights and then fly to San Diego.

Re: Re: Re: Which Airlines, Delta or Continental ??

We have a puppy flying out Thursday on Continental. She has to change planes in Houston for her connection to Sacramento. If you are not in a hurry, I can let you know how things go. I am very comfortable sending her with Continental after long talks and lots of questions. Seem to be the right airline for us.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Airlines, Delta or Continental ??

Yes, I'd be interested in knowing how the flight went with the Houston switch over to Sacramento..thanks !

I guess I didn't even think of Alaska or Northwest lines as far as shipping pets as I've always been on the receiving end with Delta only.

I talked with the Alaska agent who says they ship up and down the west coast all the time and ship to Alaska. The pets are the very last to go out to board the plane and the cargo is climate controled.

She said it would be ok for us to use those plastic ties to secure the crate so airline employees can't take the pup out and play with it if it cries or what not. She did admit that employees can't seem to help themselves when there is a cute puppy in one of the crates and it starts crying.

When most of the other airlines decided to get out of live animal shipping, Continental stepped up to the plate and made it their business to serve folks like us well. They bend over backwards to be helpful and accommodating.

I've only ever flown with pups in cabin with me until last month when we shipped a pup on Continental. I have nothing but positive things to say. I was extremely impressed the pup was moved from one climate controlled area to another. Went from the cargo building, to a van that was warmed up, to the airport, into another climate-controlled holding room, to the plane. Pup arrived totally relaxed and unfrazzled. Would utilize Continental again in a heartbeat to ship a dog.

Continental will leave your pups out in the cold. Last time I dropped off at Continental Cargo, the puppy was crying a little. The agent said that they cannot operate a business with a crying puppy in the room. It was 430am and very cold outside. The agent said he would either put the pup outside until the flight was ready to load or I could hold onto the pup in my car for the next hour until the flight was ready to load. Its amazing how our pups get treated. If you think the pups are not put out in the cold, think again.

Is American Airlines not an option? Personally I love their service!

Their priority service for animals is great. Dogs are dropped off directly in the terminal. They are loaded and unloaded first!

If flying with dogs American is the only one who is even reasonable on price anymore.

Of course they may not be an option but thought I'd suggest it. I haven't used Continental or Delta because I've had such success with American!

It looks like American would be great for spring and fall flights. They can't fly if temp is over 85 or under 45 degrees. $100-$150 looks like the price.

Re: Re: Re: Which Airlines, Delta or Continental ??

Actually with a certificate of acclimation dogs can fly as long as it's over 20 degrees with American!

never had a agent act like that....I would have been on the phone that day to help him straighten up that kind of attitude.

Every agent I have ever worked with has been wonderful.
But there is always one bad apple in the bunch.

I have used both American and Delta, and both were fine. I was especially impressed with American from here to Dallas. They took super care of my boy - and me, since I was a nervous wreck about the whole process.