Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Box training

I am trying to litter box train my puppies. Never having done it before, at what age to start? I found the newspaper pellets and I have a cat litter pan that I cut down so they can get in and out. They are only three weeks, should I wait a little longer? I know it will be repetition untill they learn(hopefully). Thanks for any advice.

Re: Box training

The box goes in when the puppies start on solid food. It's amazing how quickly they get it. There will always be accidents but soon you'll find they get the idea and go to the box.

I have a larger box that is for puppy litter training but I have also used the rubber or plastic boot trays (good time of the year to find them )

I also use the softwood pellets that break down with moisture. I find that they absorb the smell well.

Hi Lisa,

I usually start when I open up the whelping box into a larger x-pen area. I then put the litter box with the pellets back in the opened-whelping box (I have a Jonart box) and put towels and fleece in the "play" area. I usually do this at 3-4 weeks, depending on how large the litter is, if the puppies are eating food, etc... I try to catch the puppies when they wake up and put them in the box - they try to walk out to potty, but you keep putting them back in the box. Once someone starts pottying in there, it'll smell like the "right spot" to go.

It takes repetition, but by the time they are about 6 weeks, almost all the potty and most of the poop is in the box and the puppies potty-train easily as well. I also try and let them go outside as much as possible if the weather is cooperative so they learn that pottying outside is the preferred way.

Good luck with your pups!

I never thought of a boot tray, now I just have to find one. The cat box is too small for more than just one.Thanks!

I've used a box I made myself to fit, thought that's quite trashed now. I've also used an under-the-bed box with the side cut down. I'm going to try a rabbit litter tray next - you can get them at farm supply stores - they fit under a rabbit cage and are very nice sized and already low enough for the puppies to get in.

Re: Re: Box training

I always use one of my kiddy pools. With this large litter of 3 week old puppies, I cut down one of our spare, 5 foot wide kiddy pools so there is a big opening..like most of the front. I use pineshavings or wood shavings..whatever the Feed store has at the time. Of course this time of year it is hard to find kiddy pools but I bought 2 of the pools when they were on sale toward the end of summer.

With this crew of 13 pups, they were pooping and peeing way too much so I set them up in their big expen area where I put the cut down kiddy pool with their shavings when they were 2.5 weeks old.

They don't always make it to the pool are at their age and trying to climb over each other to get to their pool is a challenge. Now what I do is when I see they are waking up from a nap, I get in their pool with the shavings and clap my hands and they all come running to me to do their business. By 5 weeks of age, they have learned where they need to go.

I use a small swimming pool with an opening cut out for them and use the horse bedding pellets. I also have a rabbit cage tray that is 30 x 36" that works wonderfully. I start as soon as they start eating solids. My litter of 11 are five weeks old and they are a hit about 85% of the time with piddle and about 95% of the time with poo. I use a pooper scooper rake and shovel...is wonderful! Good luck!

The rabbit trays that Patty mentioned work great. You can get them at Tractor Suppy, and I'm sure farm or pet supply stores. They are plastic and shallow enough for puppies to climb in.

They also have Equine Fresh, made for horse stalls, but work great for puppies. Yu can buy the pellets made for other small pets, but the Equine Fresh is way less expensive. They are about $6 or $7 for a 25lb bag. I use about 1/2 a bag in a 2' x 2' tray.

I have more luck when I put two of these 2 x 2 trays in the play area. When I went with one tray, some would go next to it. When I put two trays in they went in the trays. When I took a tray out, they would go next to it again. Don't ask me why; it was crazy.

It's funny sometimes when they are in the tray and pooping or peeing over the side. They think they are going in the tray, but they are hanging over the side.

Mike

I use a replacement tray for a large crate. Large enough for the pups to all 'gather' there and low enough sides to climb in. And yes, they seem to press their little behinds against the side of their pen and poop over the edge of the tray or one front paw in the tray constitutes being in the right place. But still, lot less area to clean. Mine are 5 weeks old and I agree, 90% or better of the poops end up in the tray, less well on the pee but we're getting there...

This may be a stupid question. Everyone uses pellets or shavings or sod. Why not cat litter? Expense? Dangerous? Do puppies like eating clay cat litter? It seems like cat litter is more natural like the ground.

Re: Re: Box training

Hi Lisa,
I also, like Sherrie, find that 5 weeks is the age at which the pups finally use the "box" most of the time. My puppy pen is set up in my daylight basement with a 2x4 mounted across the back of the box making an approximately 3x6' area for their potty. I use the stall dry pellets - just compressed sawdust. I also use the clapping technique mentioned to encourage them to walk on the pellets when they wake thereby having them in the right place to pee!!