Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
heads up, PA breeders, minimum age 8 weeks now

Amended October 7, 2008.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2007&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=2525&pn=4524

Cannot give or sell puppies before 8 weeks old, used to be 7 weeks. This isn't just for state licensed kennels, it's all puppies in PA.

I know many wait until 8 weeks old anyway for grading, but now with the new law remember you can't even let those puppies go a day shy of 8 weeks old now.

Re: heads up, PA breeders, minimum age 8 weeks now

Thank you for the heads up.

Finally a good law.

How can you find out what the age law is for other states?

Re: Re: heads up, PA breeders, minimum age 8 weeks now

Florida requires pups be a minimum of 8 weeks. There are several breeders in Florida that still let them go before then and I wish them good luck if they get caught.

Re: Re: Re: heads up, PA breeders, minimum age 8 weeks now

NH also requires pups to be a minimum of 8 weeks old. That also applies to pups bought into the State too.

I find my State laws on the State web site, or i google NH State laws, canine.

Re: Re: Re: Re: heads up, PA breeders, minimum age 8 weeks now

Does anyone know the legal age for New York and New Jersey?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: heads up, PA breeders, minimum age 8 weeks now

not sure on NJ and NY but Maine is 8 wks and has been for many yrs. There are ALOT of "breeders" that send pups home at 6.5-7 wks though

the only way Florida breeders could let pups go before 8 weeks is with out certified health certificate.
How would they get by that?

$$$ Fines are not worth letting them go early

There are many Florida breeders that backdate the whelp date. The Vets issuing the health cert's only know what the 'breeder' tells them the whelp date is. These so called 'breeders' always think the rules and laws don't apply to them and they end up and put the rest of us at risk because we end up with more laws in the long run.

I love my puppy soooooooooo much. I Don't understand how people can think of ways to cheat around good laws mandate by state. Geezzzzzz.... Sigh.In New Jersey it is a full 8 weeks/a health certificate with in ten days of purchase.

OK....why would a few days make such a big deal.
I see no reason to go through the trouble of lying just to push pups out a week or so early?????

Isn't the idea and concern suppose to be about the well being of the puppy? I guess only breeders with ethics think about what is best for the pup.

There are differing opinions on the right age to send a pup home. Many people believe that 7 weeks (for a lab) is the perfect age. I include myself in those with this opinion. But, my state says 8 weeks, so 8 weeks it is. I would prefer to home them at 7, though. And, before anyone jumps in here saying I can't wait to push my pups out the door, it is just the contrary. I would rather keep them even longer.

Re: Re: Re: heads up, PA breeders, minimum age 8 weeks now

And herein lies the problem about "differing opinions" which really don't matter when the law states otherwise. The Florida breeders that send pups out for ANY reason before 8 weeks only give the rest of us problems and headachs which is why the law exists to begin with. Example, there are breeders that use one Vet for c-section and another Vet for Health Cert's so the dates can be altered so the pup can go out at 7 weeks and in some cases 6 weeks because the so called 'reputable' breeder has a differing opinion as to the best time for a pup to go.

8 weeks for NY

always has been 8 weeks in Maryland, Virginia I believe is 7 weeks.

Bonnie

Another look at the 49th day.

Here is a chart listing state laws for age to sell puppies, the info is from 2006 so there may be changes.

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovuspuppysaletable.htm