Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AKC Rally Question

I have a dog that I would like to enter in his first rally test, he has his CD, but I don't know if that matters or not on which novice rally class he goes in?
I have never titled another dog in rally.
can someone help?

Re: AKC Rally Question

He has to go in Rally Novice B for his Novice Rally (RN) title.

Once you have a CD on any dog in AKC obedience, you must enter Rally Novice B.

Good Luck.

Also consider entering APDT Rally Trials -- so much more fun, courses are more flowing and the atmosphere is so relaxed -- lots of cheering and laughing and if you train with food rewards (as most of us do), you may take food in the ring with you, although there are rules as to when and how you may use it. Way more fun than AKC. Check it out. www.apdt.com

and after Novice B...enter Advanced and Excellent B...

Re: Re: AKC Rally Question

Yes as others have said you will enter Rally Novice B. But after he gets his RN, you can enter Rally Advanced A and then Rally Excellent A. The B classes in Advanced are for those competing toward their RAE's.

Re: Re: Re: AKC Rally Question

Nope, the others were right with continuing to enter B after Novice. If you've got an OB title on the dog, you have to enter B in Rally- at all levels. Just the way the rules are. We even had to start our one girl in the Ex A class and finish her in the Ex B class because she earned her CD in between. I've also seen it happen when AKC has taken away Rally legs for entering A class when a dog held OB title(s), so they are very particular about it. My rule of thumb is when in doubt, enter B.

Quotes from the regs...

The Rally Advanced A Class: To be eligible for this class dogs shall have won the Rally Novice (RN) title but have not won the Rally Advanced (RA) title or any AKC obedience title, prior to the close of entries.

The Rally Excellent A Class: To be eligible for entry into this class, competing dogs shall have won the Rally Advanced (RA) title, but have not won the Rally Excellent (RE) title or any AKC obedience title, prior to the close of entries.