Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Showing after cruciate surgery?? Is it possible?

Is there any hope?

Re: Showing after cruciate surgery?? Is it possible?

Are you asking if it's permissable to show under the rules or what your chances are??? If it's the latter, sorry but my crystal ball is out of service. I hope the surgery & recuperation go well - it seems like a long road at times!

Yes, of course. Cruciate surgery is restoring the dog to his state pre-injury - it is not altering the dog. Give him plenty of time to rehab, don't rush him back, and have fun with him when he's ready to return to the ring! Good luck!

Re: Re: Showing after cruciate surgery?? Is it possible?

No, I know it's allowed but everything I am hearing, including from my vet is that the dog will never be 100% sound again

Re: Showing after cruciate surgery?? - Rehab.

I dont have an opinion about showing- but for the wellbeing and recovery of the pup, I highly recommend you find a good water therepy/P.T program.Check references, credentials etc.- It can make all the difference.Good luck

Several years ago my girl finished her championship 4 months after having a cruciate repair. I think it all depends on the injury, the type of repair and the rehabilitation afterwards. I swam my girl everyday as part of her rehab.....my Vet gave me the okay as when to start and how much to increase each week. One year later she blew the other knee and had the same repair. She is 9 now and she is still going strong.

Re: Re: Re: Showing after cruciate surgery?? Is it possible?

It can happen if you recoup your dog properly and give them the correct exercise therapy. I finished my female 1 month after recoup of her surgery, she already had 3 majors so all I needed was 2 points.

Repaired one when she was half to her Ch. title, she finished with some persistance , and was retired to the whelping box.

Re: Re: Showing after cruciate surgery?? - Rehab.

Our first champion finished in April, and tore her ACL in August. We did the traditional "fishing line" repair, and she went to rehab (with water treadmill) for 3 weeks. When she came home I had to continue the walking, but range of motion exercises were not necessary. She is 2 1/2 years post surgery, and doing well.

Tibial Tuberosity Advancement (TTA) if dog is a good canidate to get it, is giving great results, some say better than a TPLO

My first show dog (25 years ago) tore both ACLs when she was very young. She had surgery in which connective tissue from her leg was used to stabilize the joint until scar tissue had formed. She subsequently went on to get her championship, CDX at a time when the dog had to jump 1/5 times its height, and her JH. Her greatest strength was her fluid movement, which she regained in 6 months or so after the last surgery. I did no special rehab, although we certainly kept her from overdoing it for many months. She lived to be 14 and was still moving well at age 12. She won Veterans twice at specialties. So don't give up.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Showing after cruciate surgery?? Is it possible?

That should be 1.5 times its height, not 1/5. Cara had to jump 32 inches.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Showing after cruciate surgery?? Is it possible?

If she looks that good and already on her way with points you might go for it. But if you have her whole career ahead of you, think I would just get her in good shape and not push. Isn't it a fact the second leg goes alot of the time. And not sure its a fact but heard on some forums that it might mean that they pass on the weakness in the rear legs, so would just think about the whole picture down the road.

My bitch tore her cruciate while being bred. Had surgery once her pups were weaned. Back in the ring in 4 months and took a 5 point major!!!
Anything is possible with the proper rehab and conditioning.

My girl tore hers and came back to earn her championship, many specialty JAMS and a BOW, her CDX and some agility titles. There is no reason your girl won't be sound if you get to work on her rehab.

What about breeding a female after having an ACL repaired? Does blowing out an ACL blow her out of the whelping box too?

I show performance (obedience, agility). I had a dog with cruciate surgery (not TPLO but the old method of fixing it ... can't think what the procedure was called.

Anyway to make a long story short, she rehabbed well and was back competing in agility within six months, finished up some titles and played a lot of the games classes (Snooker, Gamblers, etc) for two years before she started getting gimpy on the front end. I have now retired her, but we did have a lot of fun after her surgery.

Hang in there, there is hope!!

My boy had TPLO in August. I'm still hopeful he'll get back in the ring, but I won't be rushing it. I think it depends on the dog and the rehab process you choose. I can see my boy lost some muscle in the rear and will have to build it up slow and hope for the best. I can definatley relate and wish you luck

I think you have do your research about related dogs and how many of those ruptured cruciates there have been ? There was nothing behind my bitch.
In my bitches case , she was the only one, and she was bred 4 times after she finished her Ch. , and not one offspring was affected.

My girl with two ACL tears was bred, and I have four generations down from her. To my knowledge, hers was the only ACL tear in her lines, either before or after her.

Thank you all for your kind responses.
I guess we will just hope for the best as for her show career later.
She is pointed but no majors.