Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nose trouble

I have a 1 1/2 old yellow girl whose nose now has a nose that looks almost like a sunburn. Nose as pup was perfect...it still has the black around the nose but on the part that is flacky looking is has a pinkish tint to it. Anyone have any thoughts of what could be causing this and what I could do to help her. It's not sore to the touch and doesn't seem to be bothering her. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Nose trouble

It could be an autoimmune condition. I'd get her to the vet to be checked out.

What type of food dish are you using. Many of the plastic ones will cause reactions like this.

Could just be a faded "winter nose" that will regain pigment in the summer.

Do a Google search for nasal hyperkeratosis.

Does this seem to match what you are seeing?

Re: Re: Nose trouble

She does use a plastic food dish where my others are all using metal. I will throw this dish away.

Re: Re: Nose trouble

No, from the pictures I pulled up it doesn't. It looks like most with the snow nose with a area that looks similar to our skin when we get a sunburn. It just started about a week ago and has not changed. It does not cover her entire nose either. I thought maybe it was from being outside to play with the cold weather but I have kept her in. I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow.

For the first time ever - we had a problem with a pink spot on black nose with our male last year. The vet thought first thing - any plastic coming in contact with him? Well, no plastic dish, but I had bought those plastic houses for outside and plastic decking for the pen. Took out all the plastic and it went away in 2 weeks. We did a slide and did put cream on it, but I'm sure it was the plastic. A few weeks ago we bought a new crate and it had a nice rubber like tray and we put him in there off and on within 2 weeks he had a tiny pink spot. Had to put him back to his old pen only.