Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Let's talk budgets

Though we are geographically diverse, let's share ideas about how we are finding ways to try to maintain our quality of life and spend less money or get more value for the money we spend on items that we purchase to run our daily household.

Re: Let's talk budgets

About a year ago I went totally credit card free. I still have a credit card but it's for emergency use only. I get paid every other week. After bills are paid I work very hard at not spending a lot. On Thursday evening (before I get paid Friday) I take any money remaining in my checking account and bank it into my saving account. I've saved up a couple thousand already by just doing this.

I have had to cut back on show entries. I am showing locally (within three hours drive time), and not staying in motels and showing on Sunday only (I show performance events... and my work schedule right now inhibits saturday shows as well, so this is working okay for me.)

I am still feeding my dogs top quality food (EVO) but have threatened to buy Ole' Roy if the economy doesn't turn around soon (I AM joking :P)

So, those are things I'm doing to keep ahead of the game. What about you?

Re: Re: Let's talk budgets

Just wanted to add... remember these seven little words as they can make a HUGE difference in EVERYTHING you purchase...

"Is that the best you can do?"

Re: Re: Re: Let's talk budgets

I find myself asking " Do I really need this or do I want it ? " Most of the time, my answer is, I want it but can do without it.

As for trying to find ways to save on my dog hobby, I keep threatening to put our dogs back on Kirkland Lamb and Rice instead of the pricy Pro Plan .

When it comes to our dogs, I would rather do without than to cut back on their needs.

My husband and I like to go out to eat a few times a week so we started sharing a meal and ordering water only. We save the full up meals like Filet Mignon and Wine for special occasions !!

Feeding premium food does not have to cost an arm and a leg. I have made friends with the Manager at the local Petco. She is great to work with and here is how I save.
#1 I am a Petco Pal Member = 10% off
#2 I buy no less than 200lbs = 10% off
#3 Coupons = $1 to $5 to $14 off a bag
#4 Price match other stores

By doing this I am now getting Eukanuba Performance for $35 a 40lb bag BEFORE the Eukanuba Breeder rewards!

I also shop online price matching and sale watching. I just got the great 36x24 'Slumber Beds' with the bolster around for $12 each and the web special included a free puppy 'frisbee' feeding dish and FREE shipping!

Susan, you're so right about savings on dog food! A breeder/friend and I buy by the pallet and the savings are great. The only requirement is that you have to have a place to store it where the dogs, mice, etc. won't get into it.

You are right, buying in bulk requires storage. It is important to store food in 'Food Grade' storage containers. I personally use 30 gallon food grade pickle barrels! However, I know those are not available to everyone. I found a good source of food grade barrels here http://www.arizonabarrels.com/30_gallon_closed_top_barrels_drums.html
You can see what one looks like. One barrel holds 120lbs of food or 3-40lb bags. This also works for me because I feed a meat based and a fish based food so I use two barrels.

We have a similar set up for opened bags and store the unopened bags in an old chest freezer which is mouse & dog proof.

If you can practice a bit of restraint, a credit card has an advantage over cash. With many credit cards you earn a penny for a dollar spent. This can really add up. I put all my grocery purchases on the card. I had a major car problem. That was a biggie. Recently I opted for cash back and received a check for $250. That is not chump change to me. Of course, I pay in full every month. So it is a good thing if you can do it.

Just refinanced my 15 year mortgage today and went from 6% to 4.5% interest, saving $95,000 just in interest over the life of the loan. And now I plan to continue making the old (higher) payments to save even more and pay it all off way early. Go to www.daveramsey.com to see his mortgage calculator if you need incentive on this.

I'm an energy warrior: turning down the heat (up on the a/c) and turning off lights whenever possible. A friend that is not home during the day installed an automatic setting thermostat and is saving $150 each month in utility costs.

Analyzed every single bit of our insurance policies myself, raising deductibles and eliminating duplicated things and resticting stuff like the old four-wheeler to liability/medical, etc. Saved gobs of money.

I buy several baby shower gifts, wedding gifts, Christmas gifts and hostess gifts when I find the 75% off sale on something great at the department or discount store.

Just working out a budget plan helps me stay motivated. I put together a one-year spreadsheet of expenses, making sure it fits with the income and retirement and savings plans. Anything extra goes to 1) retirement savings, 2) mortgage (I've paid off all my other debts), 3) more savings or certificates of deposit (which I keep with www.ingdirect.com and their higher interest rates - 2.40% currently)

What can the public afford right now for well-bred puppies? I'm having a litter soon and I'm on the fence as to what to charge.

Depends on where you are I think - have you talked to other breeders in your area???

Yes, and they're all over the charts. Some I think are asking too little and some are asking way too much in this economic climate. IMO of course.

We are doing soup/salad/sandwich (any combo) night one night a week. I am making different soups and freezing them. I am also planning menus based on fish/meat/poultry sales and pantry items on hand.

I am regularly checking brick and morter store websites for special offers/coupons before I purchase an item.

Here we have a store called T J Maxx, part of Marshall's. They have lots of household items, home decor, and clothing priced lower than Target and better quality. I go there first to find the item I need before Macy's like I used to.

At Trader Joe's I ask the guy who buys the wine what is new on the shelves. They do staff tastings there and can make some great reccomendations on bottles in my price range (7.00). I always have the Charles Shaw on hand in red and white for cooking. Many Trader Joe items are name brands, just privately branded by them so they cost less. Their frozen vegetables are excellent and inexpensive. I have lots of great Trader Joe's product reccomendations as I used to work there in their demo program. Email me if you want some great tasting and easy recipies.

I was let go from Lehman Brothers after the bankruptcy (not from a high paid job but still a good job), now I am just working harder to make the same - speeding the money I think my family and dogs need to have the life we want - if we all stop buying things then the world will come to a end. I have always been looking to cut cost but why are all looking to cut cost now - this is reason why the global economy is coming to the end (ohh I forgot the big bank had something to do with it too LOL)

Please go out a buy a new house and the new car if you still have a job, so people can have something to do in the future too.

I try to do all my running around on one trip. Bank, dog food, grocerys, etc. So don't drive as much. Give my own puppy shots now and have more of a medicine chest for them. Do my coupons for the Pro Plan puppy food. They give you two free bags with the puppy kits, thats another good start. Go to dog shows for two days instead of three. Good Will has alot of nice cloths for the dogs shows, toys so cheap, and comforters for beds. Just shop in my own closet now. Lots of stuff I never wear.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's talk budgets

Started running errands and grocery shopping weekly with a friend, taking turns on who drives. We go to Sam's and buy in bulk and split the packages if too big for one family. Turns out to be alot of fun. We even bought a case of cheap wine to split and got a 10% case discount! Plus the wine store just started recycling and offers a $3 gift card for each 6 wine or liquor bottles turned in - now all our friends are giving us their empties to recycle. Doing lots more cooking at home, but less food since we are on diets anyway and watching portions.

Having said all that...
What can the public afford right now for well-bred puppies? I'm having a litter soon and I'm on the fence as to what to charge.

Refering to the above, how many of you have put off a litter that you have planned? Do you have buyers lined up still? I want to breed a litter now, but am afraid they won't sell in this economy? Do I go ahead, or wait??

"Analyzed every single bit of our insurance policies myself, raising deductibles and eliminating duplicated things and resticting stuff like the old four-wheeler to liability/medical"

I recenly called my agent to see if we were over insured on our early 2000 vehicles, his assistant said we were just fine, had good coverage. What kinds of things do you look at to determine coverage? Thanks.

One thing that has helped me a lot is making a shopping list. I keep a pad of paper on the kitchen counter and when I think of something it goes right on the list. This way I make far fewer trips to the stores.

Cooking saves big bucks. Half a sub may taste great and be a treat, but it costs $4.99. I can buy a Perdue roaster on sale for under $4 and get two excellent meals for 2 people out of it.

Pack a lunch. If you are going to the specialties & will be eating lunch a couple of times you can save a lot of money this way. Save the money for dinner - that is more fun anyway.

How could I forget??????? Where possible, replace your incandescent bulbs with the new florescent bulbs. (Don't put them in where you have dimmers.) You will be amazed how much your electric consumption goes down.

I have also been using my library a lot more. I can manage my selections via the library website and order books as they become available.

I also wash my laundry in cold water, except when I need to use OxyClean and use shorter cycles for items that aren't that dirty. I have always hang dried when possible.

What a great topic! Thanks!

I've revisited my telephone and cell phone contracts to see what I could upgrade or remove. I found a new long distance package that is going to take about $50+ a month off my bill and then I realized I've been paying $14.95 a month for domain hosting when I host my website with a different company. A quick call has saved me a weekend entry for dog shows!

I've put my credit card on ice ... literally. I froze it in a Ziploc container so I have to really think about using it. You can't microwave it to melt the ice!

Yeah, we paid off our credit card too and we've vowed not to use it unless a dire emergency. What a relief to not carry a balance anymore.

Although there is a recession everywhere else, there is no recession in my house. With litter expenses, show fees, and everything else there is definitely little money left at the end of the month. But for some reason we always find a way to make it work. I just can't wait for April. Can't imagine what uncle same is going to do to me.

We only felt the pinch here when gasoline prices went sky high. I have always shopped sales for clothing, food, gifts, etc. We rarely eat out, I don't have a maid, vehicles are older and reasonably insured - in essence - we never did live beyond our means. This economy is a rude but necessary awakening for our society. I just wish the bailout wasn't going to be so insanely filled with unneeded "pork" and could just be enough to keep needy people going until the free market was allowed to rebound. I am planning a litter for summertime and it will be an all yellow litter.