Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sick dog-any ideas what this could be?

6 years ago I gave a friend of mine my 9 year old girl as he had asked if he could take her while I had his dog to whelp a litter and he would bring her back when his dog went back home, long story short he fell in love with her, she was sleeping in his bed, swimming in the pool and now a dog with only one other in the home and when he asked if he could keep her I couldn't say no as no matter how much I loved her she was in a better place.

He called me tonight and had her at the vets because she's been having explosive diaherria with some blood and blood in the urine, seems everything she eats comes right back out and she has a temp of 104, she is now 14yrs 2months old. Vet did bloodwork which won't be back till tommorrow and gave her meds for the stool problem and IV"s to rehydrate her but he's kind of scratching his head about what it might be... any ideas? This girl was never spayed either.
Aloha,
jackie

Re: Sick dog-any ideas what this could be?

Did his Vet take some X-Rays and Ultrasound? I hope she'll be OK! Best of luck...

Could it be hemorrhagic colitis? We have had that twice. Coming out both ends with blood. The first dog was hospitalized with stomach meds and introduced to food very, very slowly. The second girl I caught very early on and after sub cu's was able to come home with me and we nursed her at home. I think that the girl's problem was a change of food that went out of control.

Jackie, I have no ideas what this might be but with our oldest girl turning 14 next month, my heart goes out to you & this girl's owner. I hope a diagnosis is made quickly & she's on the mend very soon!

Re: Re: Sick dog-any ideas what this could be?

I would suspect pancreatitis with the diarrhea and other symptoms.

See if they have thought of this as a cause.

M

Re: Re: Re: Sick dog-any ideas what this could be?

pancreatitis? hookworms? Sure hope they figure it out and get her feeling better quickly.

I don't have any other ideas but thinking an ultra sound would be a good idea, as mentioned. One of my girls had vomitting with a fever over 104 and ultrasound sent us to the ER for surgery. Hi fevers always worry me.

Prayers they can figure this out quickly and she gets thru this.

What did they find on your girls ultrasound that she had to have surgery Patty?
Bloodwork is back on her and everything was normal eXcept her tyroid level was low, he's putting her on meds for that along with the IV to hydrate her and meds to hopefully stop the diaherria.
Aloha,
jackie

Re: Re: Re: Sick dog-any ideas what this could be?

Is she on something like Rimadyl or Deramaxx at her age? Or even aspirin?S ometimes they need to be taken off it for a while or forever. Glad that her liver is not showing signs of failure. Still, it can cause bloody GI problems. Hope that she is better soon! The oldies are the best, but each illness is scary.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What did they find on your girls ultrasound that she had to have surgery Patty?
Bloodwork is back on her and everything was normal eXcept her tyroid level was low, he's putting her on meds for that along with the IV to hydrate her and meds to hopefully stop the diaherria.
Aloha,
jackie

Jackie,

The found fluid in her abdomin. Withdrew some and sent it with me to the ER.

Turns out she had a ruptured gallbladder leaking into her abdomin that had caused all kinds of infection.

It was touch and go for a good week.

Prayers that your dog is not nearly as serious.

I should point out that the US showed nothing on the gallbladder because the rupture was only a pin hole.

Had I not gone in the day I did and gotten her to the ER she would have died according to her surgeon.

Thanks Patty, I will suggest the ultrasound to them.
ALoha,
Jackie

Good luck Jackie, please keep us posted.

Also want to mention that not all vets have an US machine and have to call in a US tech who brings the machine.

When they do this they like to schedule more than one so they get all their patients together for the same day.

I mention this because if this is the case they should notify their vet now that they want an US so it can be scheduled ASAP.

I got lucky. It was a Monday and just happened to be the day the tech was at my vets office.

Thanks Patty, I just talked to the vet myself, seems the dogs temp was only 102.6 not 104 like the owner said it was, he believes she might have eaten something or just has a gasterio upset as all her bloodwork for her age is really good except the thyroid that is low but he said that wouldn't be causing her symptoms now but it won't hurt to put her on the thyroid meds, seems the stools have turned to a pudding consistancy now. Here there are some vets that have a US machine and others call in a lady that goes from vet to vet.. we'll see what he does as he will see her again today but I did make the suggestion to have a US done.
Aloha,
jackie

Thats a big difference in temp., glad to hear it.

Sounds like she is improving and hopefully you won't need to do any extensive testing.

Good luck.