Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
just a thought about breeder's recognition

sometimes I think that breeder's "get no-respect" for the dogs they breed, sell to a person, and have that person pay to have them finished and campaigned. The post about call names got me thinking. There are some top winning campaigned dogs that people are so quick to congratulate just the owners about, when in fact the breeder, whether they co-own or not, should be getting as much congratulations. Just a thought...

Re: just a thought about breeder's recognition

Definitely - it's a joint effort!!

Re: Re: just a thought about breeder's recognition

Not always, I purchased two pups from Shannon Valley
Labradors. I finished both myself, yet I can't thank Jennifer enough for allowing me to own them. I tell
everyone. I will always thank the breeder and I have talked to others that respect and appreciate their efforts. Not one of us living today created these great dogs, we all have someone to thank. Just my experience.

There was a recent thread about this.

I have been on both sides. I have pups of mine that were shown to their championship, and the owner never gave any recognition to me.

Some just thanked me privately...

But if you have a good sense of self esteem, you don't need the public credit, you can just be very PROUD of the dog you produced.

Then I've been on the other end, owning a dog, and the breeder took all the credit, and bragged all over creation, without at least mentioning the owner (who, by the way, trains, prepares, and foots the bill...some credit is due)

There are lots of factors...
One situation, the owner of the stud dog kept a pup out the breeding to my bitch. Sure I did the breeding, sure I owned the bitch, but it was half her dog (out of her boy). I let her just enjoy the glory, she thanked me privately for my wonderful bitch and for the pup.

I've mentored people, gave them my pups, told them who to breed them too. They never thanked me for that either.

But you know what???? when the day is over, you can just be proud of a job well done, and the "do unto others" attitude. To give all you have to another and be happy for them, even if you never feel appreciated. Letting another get the glory.

I think we should all congratulate all the people involved, the breeder, the owner, the co-owner, the trainer, the handler. All play a part in the success of a dog finished, pointed, whatever. Without ALL of them, the dog could not be where they are.

I always privately thank my mentors time and time again, privately, for all they GAVE me over the years. Things they unselfishly gave, over and over, and asked for nothing in return, except seeing me be successful. Without some of them, I'd never be where I am today. There are many. Especially one, I remember, who stayed with me over the years. Constantly guiding me, being a support. She guided me to the right dogs, taught me structure. Taught me character.

For most of us this is a "Team" Sport. Breeder, Owner, Co-owner, handler, etc. And then there is the cheering section including family, friends, trainers and observers.

If you take the high road and simply understand that whether your name is mentioned or not you are still part of the "Team" when the dog wins....Life becomes much smoother and more enjoyable!

Well put Susan!!!!

I am confused at how you write they thanked me privately? How do you want to be thanked, name in lights, public broadcast? A thank you is a thank you. It is a team effort to finish a dog and all who participated in the dogs success should be acknowledged for it.

Respect is earned by who a person is and how they treat others not by what type of dog they breed.

Then I've been on the other end, owning a dog, and the breeder took all the credit, and bragged all over creation, without at least mentioning the owner (who, by the way, trains, prepares, and foots the bill...some credit is due)

We used the same breeder?

"We used the same breeder?"

Operative word being "Used"....

Get off your soap box. Think about who is using who? Breeders should feel lucky and appreciate the people who purchase their puppies and put what it takes into showing their dogs. Those are the people keeping them in business. zzzzzzz.....snooze....snore...

Again "Keeping them in business?" HUH?????

Thank you but I don't make a business out of selling show dogs.
If I have something available after I take my picks from a litter that is show quality, you should realize you are privileged to be given the opportunity to own it.
You're not doing ME any favors, I am giving YOU a chance!
Burn me once, my mistake. You won't be given the opportunity to burn me again.
I will just place that next pup in a nice pet home and not have to worry about what YOU will do with it.
It's that self entitled attitude that really IRKS me.

Re: Re: Re: just a thought about breeder's recognition

I think if you buy a lovely dog and you make it a champion BOTH deserve credit in the same amount.

Although there have been a few that I wouldn't agree on, like a dog that won Potomac not so long ago and another dog that the breeder's family showed for the people who bought him.

Re: Re: Re: Re: just a thought about breeder's recognition

I think most of us see through and know the breeders of these nice dogs that finish. It is bad not to thank the breeder and think alot of the time on here we all congratulate both. Think we do a good job of that. And with all it takes to breed nice dogs, I do think some better be thankful breeder part with these nice dogs and they should be thanked over and over. Yes, it takes money and the will to get them out there to show. But the breeder made the dog. We handled it. Thanks to all the long time breeders who do a great job.

no thanks to the breeder, where in my post did you see that i wanted to buy a puppy from you? i don't need any puppy from you, i have my own puppies.

I don't understand this post?
Would you explain please?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

no thanks to the breeder, where in my post did you see that i wanted to buy a puppy from you? i don't need any puppy from you, i have my own puppies.

Although there have been a few that I wouldn't agree on, like a dog that won Potomac not so long ago and another dog that the breeder's family showed for the people who bought him.

What is this about. Who said you want a puppy

Well it's a good thing then because I keep my show puppies - after all, that's why I breed, for me, not anyone else!

PS - When I used the word "you" I certainly wasn't speaking directly to YOU!

It was a general phrase!

It is obvious to all who the breeder is with the kennel name on a dog/bitch. As breeders, we are not in control of every dog that is bred out in the world. If we can't handle this, we shouldn't breed. If we can't handle being supportive and sincerely happy for a person/dog team who has done well and has spent all the time, effort and thousands of dollars with OUR bred puppies, then we shouldn't complain either. Could be worse, the team could be sitting in the house and those results of your breeding hard work could just be sitting on the sofa never being seen or reaching any titles or goals. No recognition would be coming your way then either, right?! If someone doesn't feel they are getting enough "thanks" or constant "recognition" they feel they deserve, they should look within themselves, there may lie your answer.

I do feel when someone does not want to see others do well, its because they are threatened of the potential success those people might/could/will/do have and that is very unfortunate. We often get back what we give and give out to others. Karma.

Patty I agree and this sentence is exactly why I don't send out show prospects -

"Could be worse, the team could be sitting in the house and those results of your breeding hard work could just be sitting on the sofa never being seen or reaching any titles or goals. No recognition would be coming your way then either, right?!"

Sometimes a breeder doesn't like a dog, sells him to another breeder who saw something special in him, finishes him and the breeder at all the shows takes all the credit, even though they thought the puppy was pet quality.

Very good point, I have one of those here!

Well it's a good thing then because I keep my show puppies - after all, that's why I breed, for me, not anyone else!

This is why nobody knows who you or your dogs are and you don't post your name.

Now who is getting roasted and toasted GEEEEEEZZ!!
Who cares,now what was the subject at hand????

Now who is getting roasted and toasted GEEEEEEZZ!!
Who cares,now what was the subject at hand????
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You should ask the OP. Sounds like the OP has a personal vent about not getting enough thanks or recognition.

well said Patty

Well, if they let us know who they are, we can all give them a big round of applause and then maybe they can get on with their lives

This is the same as a thread that was posted about a week ago. IMHO if a breeder is confident with there breeding and secure with their lines than their kennel name on the dog should be satisfying enough for them, along with the fact that they breed this great dog. I think all should be congratulated and all should get the credit. Everyone put something into the dog. Like constructing a building, you need an architect, engineer, contractor, electrician, plumber and many others. So who gets the credit when the building is complete, the architech because they designed it or the contractor who got it built? They all do, and then they don't sit and disagree about who should get thanked later. Come on lets get real it is a group endeavor and some people are just glory hogs.

LOL! Yep, that's funny, glory hogs. They are out there, as in any profession. Some need the glory, the recognition. Others are just pleased with a job well done. No matter who gets the glory.

"Breeders should feel lucky and appreciate the people who purchase their puppies and put what it takes into showing their dogs."

More arrogance.........

WHAT? How in the world is this arrogant?

Someone buys a dog from you, that YOU decided YOU didn't want to keep. Feeds it, loves it, takes care of it. Does clearances. Goes to classes. Works and trains. Pays entry fees, travel costs, etc. to show the dog under YOUR kennel name. It's arrogant that someone thinks that YOU, who decided TO SELL THE PUPPY IN THE FIRST PLACE, should have some appreciation for what this person is doing?

God Almighty, the arrogance and conceit of some of you people is outrageous. That you require bowing and scraping simply because you bred a dog and spent a grand total of fifteen weeks on it is unbelievable.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

"Breeders should feel lucky and appreciate the people who purchase their puppies and put what it takes into showing their dogs."

More arrogance.........

The best situation is when breeders are grateful for homes that appreciate and care for their puppies as they would themselves, whether or not they put titles on them. After all, very few of us would be able to keep breeding if we couldn't place the puppies we don't want for our own breeding programs. In turn, the people who get the puppies should be grateful to the breeder for producing their wonderful dog and for trusting it to their care. Gratitude doesn't have to flow in one direction.