Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
flat chested puppies- not really swimmers

I have a few litters now and then, do my best in everything I can concerning the pre breeding, breeding, whelping and raising the litters. But because I have only a few litters, I am in need of advice or information from those who have more experience.

This is in concern for flat chest on puppies. I recently had a litter born by c-section. Some of the puppies had flatter chest then the other puppies. Although they do not have the appearance of a swimmer with legs sprawled to the side, I am following the protocol for swimmers- turning on side while nursing, rubber mat(although they are to young to get up on their feet). These are large puppies- well over a pound at birth, over 2 pounds before a week old. They had a very hard time coming around after the section. *note....they where born flat chested, not from laying in the whelping box. When you pick them up they feel floppy- not compact like a normal puppy.

I was told, it is due to position in uterus, and the ribs being soft- crowding not allowing ribs to expand normally. I am wondering, could this be genetic? Has anyone had the same experience, went on to breed either a puppy that was flat chested or one of the litter mates? If so, did you get flat chested puppies? Have you found it to be more prevalent in some lines? I am not asking for what lines, just wondering if their is a common factor.

I might add I lost one of the puppies after being in ICU for almost a week,due to pneumonia, and am afraid I may loose it's littermate to the same.

TIA

Re: flat chested puppies- not really swimmers

There is a lady on these forums that lost almost every pup due to this. I do think it is hereditary! Like bad hips he passes on too.

Yes I have had puppies with "concave chest" that is what the vet called them. My bitch had 14 puppies all very large the chest on 6 of them were concave. Lost 4 of the six but the two that made it are just fine. Chest popped out and you cannot tell there was ever a problem.
I did the same as you, kept turning them on their sides, rubbed their chest etc...They were able to walk as soon as their littermates so I knew it was not swimmers...
Good luck with your babbies...
Oh, My bitch went on to have another litter "8" and no problems with the puppies chest...Hope this helps

Think this is the same as what I had with my litter. They were so slow to get on their legs. Not flat like swimmers. But did treat them the same. They were slow but after 5 weeks were up and just got better after that. Would be glad to give more experience if you leave your e-mail address. Never had it before. Was not in the females next litter either.

Just a note: The vet said the concave chest were due to the overcrowding of the puppies and that it was not hereditary.
Good luck with your puppies

Take a look at the bottom of this page under Management --- it tells you what you can do to help your pups

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/Swimming_puppy.html

Also, if you search the forum "Flat chested" You will see "Distraught Breeder" with the same issue and she used socks stuffed with cottons balls.

All the best.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have a few litters now and then, do my best in everything I can concerning the pre breeding, breeding, whelping and raising the litters. But because I have only a few litters, I am in need of advice or information from those who have more experience.

This is in concern for flat chest on puppies. I recently had a litter born by c-section. Some of the puppies had flatter chest then the other puppies. Although they do not have the appearance of a swimmer with legs sprawled to the side, I am following the protocol for swimmers- turning on side while nursing, rubber mat(although they are to young to get up on their feet). These are large puppies- well over a pound at birth, over 2 pounds before a week old. They had a very hard time coming around after the section. *note....they where born flat chested, not from laying in the whelping box. When you pick them up they feel floppy- not compact like a normal puppy.

I was told, it is due to position in uterus, and the ribs being soft- crowding not allowing ribs to expand normally. I am wondering, could this be genetic? Has anyone had the same experience, went on to breed either a puppy that was flat chested or one of the litter mates? If so, did you get flat chested puppies? Have you found it to be more prevalent in some lines? I am not asking for what lines, just wondering if their is a common factor.

I might add I lost one of the puppies after being in ICU for almost a week,due to pneumonia, and am afraid I may loose it's littermate to the same.

TIA

Re: Re: flat chested puppies- not really swimmers

After reading a couple documents here --- I have seen a lot of people use a "Hobble" device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobble_(device)

Re: Re: Re: flat chested puppies- not really swimmers

Just the use of the eggcrate mattress under the towels was the best thing. Also, got them out on some good carpet to get good footing to walk and strengthen legs. Make some mountains in that whelping box.

I had a similar problem in a litter where each puppy weighed 2 1/2 lbs at birth (my girl just has big puppies) They got flat chested and while they didn't look exactly like swimmers, they weren't up and walking when I thought they should be and their chests looked flat to me (but not concave.)

I put egg crate foam in their box, kept them on their sides as much as possible and wrapped them in a small towel (sort of like a sling) so they couldn't turn on to their tummies. I used toys to prop them on their sides as well. It took about a week but they were all up.

Their chests were totally normal at 8 weeks.

If you would like more information, I accumulated tons of stuff about it, just email me and I will send a bunch of it to you, including how to make the sling.

Bonnie

Re: Re: flat chested puppies- not really swimmers

It is called an inverted sternum. I had a litter several years ago of 5 puppies and two had that condition. One died from it, and the other ended up fine. Treated it as a swimmer and had her x-rayed at 4 weeks to make sure she had enough room for her organs to grow. She was ok and grew up to be fine. Never had it again using other studs. I don't know if it is inherited or was congenetal.

I have a bitch who is now spayed who porduced this. we lost some but after I caught on to what was going on I was able to save others--with lots of hard work. Turn them every hour when they are little. Get eggs crate material for bedding. as soon as their eyes open work with them 5+ times a day hands behind them holding them up and tease them to come towards you. I made a path with rolled towels on the side and they walked on bath rugs with the rubber side up and my hands behind them tucking their legs under. Jackie has a photo of a t-sirt she made out of a sock to help round out their chest. I did that too, Post your e-mail if you want me to contact you.

I have a GSD breeder friend whohad a litter like thisand she used large round bowls for the pups tosleep in to keep them from laying flat.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I did go back and read distressed breeder and she describes it so well...right down to the big belly. It is almost like the ribs are not formed/attached over the stomach area. Puppy is just a week old, Had some egg crate, but do not know what happened to it...will pick some up tomorrow when Momma gets her stitches removed. The bowl is a clever idea, did they curl up in it or lay with neck and head up?

They did both,and it worked very well.