Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud Dogs of the Future!

I'm new to this forum and this subject and am looking for some advice from those of you in the know!My yellow boy was finished in Canada last spring and is 2 pts away from being finished here in the States. It was suggested to me to wait till he is finished here before I start looking to breed him. He has all of his health clearences. So the questions is where do I start - what should I be doing? Is a website necessary (I do not have a kennel or kennel name - both of my boys are from the same breeder with that kennel name) Ads - like in LQ but where else? I've notice that The Spotlight Dogs have each averaged approx 1000 (maybe less) hits this January. Does anyone ever really get contacted for their stud dog thru Spotlight?

I'd really appreciate your "kind" input. Thank you in advance.

Re: Stud Dogs of the Future!

I find my stud dogs when I go to specialties and see them, and hopefully their offspring, in person. Doesn't really matter if the dog is finished or not. It depends on if I like them, their pedigree, their movement and if I think they will add what I want to my bitch. You can advertise in LabQ if you like - won't hurt but it doesn't mean that anyone will use him. Do you show him at specialties (Potomac is coming up)? For me that is the best exposure!

How about ask your breeder of your two boys?
They should be a good resource of information on this path.

Re: Re: Stud Dogs of the Future!

when looking for a stud dog I search everywhere I can and then make every effort to see the dogs in person. prefer that so I can see for myself personality , momement and evalute the stud dog myself overall.
but your question should you have a website , I think it is helpful to get noticed if you do, and lots of info such as clearences , stud contract info is there and helpful for you and bitch owner.....if your going to breed...I think it is almost an absolute must.

good luck with your boys

Does your dogs breeder have a website? You might look to have them added there...

Does your dogs breeder have a website? You might look to have them added there
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IF they will put them on their website.
Mine won't.

*IF they will put them on their website.
Mine won't.*

If the breeder won't, websites aren't expensive today. If you look around at some of them; the web master is listed, check prices. Yearly hosting is well under $100.00. Start with a nice front page and a page for your boy that is almost finished. You can add more later.

Sure, if you can afford an advertisement in the LQ do it. I see some occasional silly advertisements in there, yours would not be.

Lor-al Labradors takes beautiful photographs. You'll see them on many websites. A good photo speaks many words. List all clearances, wins and the pedigree below. You need contact information on the front page and you are ready.

You should get some good advice on here. If you don't, contact some breeders that are around for allota years. You will find many of them to be helpful. Good-luck!

Re: Re: Stud Dogs of the Future!

Well, what did you do to deserve that???

Put an add in the Potomac catalog

You have to keep showing some, get them in the LQ, Julie Brown, spotlight dogs, everywhere. If you want them used they have to be seen. And get them bred. A litter or two on the ground so you have something to show. It ain't easy. There are alot of nice dogs out there no matter who's kennel name is on them.