Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Food allergy question

I have a bitch with some yeast issues - a little itchy but not bad, a little pink between her toes on 2 feet, etc.. Switched her to a grain-free kibble and issues went totally away. Should she kept out of a breeding program because of this?

Re: Food allergy question

I always ask myself, would you want another puppy just like her?

Well, as a specialty winner - finished champion - if changing the food fixed the problem is it really that big of an issue? That's why I'm asking!

I think too many people think that allergies are 'just a little issue'. As an owner of a highly allergic dog whose dam was 'a little itchy', I wish I'd known to ask about the dam's diet when I was shopping around.

What would you feed her when pregnant, as you can't feed grain-free? If you are comfortable fielding the calls from puppy buyers, go for it. I personally will never breed a dog that can't tolerate a 'regular' food. It's not worth it to my breeding program or puppy buyers.

Re: Re: Food allergy question

Why can't you feed grain free when pregnant?
There are people out here that feed grain free food just because thats what they prefer. Has nothing to do with Allergic dogs. Same thing with raw.