Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can you shave a Lab?

O.k here goes,last night somebody actually told me that to control his yellow labs shedding they shaved it not to the skin i think , he said you don't see a big diffrence,i only had time to asked if maybe a food change could help or suplement he answered that his girlfriend who works at a vet clinic tried everything and that now shaving a lab is actually o.k!!
Now i know the importance of a labs coat but i only want some imput on this by anybody who has maybe heard of this???I'm also awear that not one breeder of labs on this planet would shave their beloved Labs.
I've got to add that when i was told this i went like WHAT??? kinda face!Please keep it nice i know it's a strange topic

Re: Can you shave a Lab?

People who keep dogs as pets will do most anything to stop shedding. I don't imagine it does much for a Lab though. He probably just sheds shorter hairs.

I have a friend in south Florida who does this in mid summer down there. Her boy has a thick heavy double coat and she has done it for years. He is not by any means shaved down. Actually when the groomer is done he still has more coat than my one girl here who was my bought show prospect.

I always thought the coat was a protection against heat just like it does with water and if you shave it you kinda peel off some protection !!!
Thanks for replying!!

several families that own labs in South Florida shave, not only helps with the shedding but also with heat issues and sometimes yeast infections on the skin.

They look funny but it does not hurt them in any way.
No big deal.

I have found that some of my old timers do not shed out their winter coats by summer time. I can brush and brush and the hair will not let loose.
I have shaved these older labbies down and it does help with the heat. They just seem so much more comfortable.

Kinda makes you wonder about those folks who think Florida dogs don't have coat. Where I an it's 12 degrees and has been below that most of the winter. my one girl has a single coat with skin showing through. Mine are in the house but there is no way kennel life will make coat if it's not there to begin with.

LOL! I haven't seen a shaved lab, but I've seen a shaved golden, and boy do they look ridiculous! Won't hurt to shave them with the exception that if they have pink skin they might be more prone to sunburn for a while.

Thanks for all your great post !!!I've actually learned something today

Re: Re: Can you shave a Lab?

No but it will bring out the best in what God gave them

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Kinda makes you wonder about those folks who think Florida dogs don't have coat. Where I an it's 12 degrees and has been below that most of the winter. my one girl has a single coat with skin showing through. Mine are in the house but there is no way kennel life will make coat if it's not there to begin with.

"Kinda makes you wonder about those folks who think Florida dogs don't have coat. Where I an it's 12 degrees and has been below that most of the winter. my one girl has a single coat with skin showing through. Mine are in the house but there is no way kennel life will make coat if it's not there to begin with. "

Correct a mundo! Some got it, some don't. But they all blow coat at some time, usually the wrong time.

Why you shouldn't shave your double coated dog.
Nov 27 '00

Look, I'm going to let you in on one of the biggest scams going. It's summer and 100 degrees F outside. You notice your Golden retriever panting, or your Sheltie, or your Chow or your Malmute (see where I'm going with this?) and you think to yourself, wow, Fido must be hot in that fur coat!

Fast forward to the local groomers shop. "Oh yeah," they say, "You should shave that dog right now! How much? Oh about $50 or more since we have to shave so much hair off."

Bull cookies. Double coated dogs do not need to be shaved in the hot weather, any more than you need to shave your head in the hot weather. Double coated dogs are dogs that have a heavy undercoat (the lighter softer coat that sheds) and do not need to be shaved. The best type of grooming for these dogs is a vigorous undercoat raking with a special tool that helps remove loose undercoat. The guard hairs on the top that do not shed out provide protection against the rays of the sun, and actually insulate the dog from the heat.

Another myth is that by cutting the hair off short, it will cause the dog not to shed. Again Bull cookies. Dogs with undercoat shed. It may shed shorter hair, but it will still shed.

The most hurtful myth as far as the dog is concerned is..."Don't worry, it'll grow back". Well, sometimes it will. The older the dog, the less likely the guard hairs will regrow. The undercoat will regrow, but the upper hair sometimes does not. This gives the dog a patchy, scruffy appearance.

Also skin that is damaged by UV rays that they would not otherwise be exposed to, can take a long time to heal, and the dog may have scaling and dandruff for quite some time after the hair has regrown.

So don't let your groomer shave your double coated dog in the summer, it's not necessary, and it's not good for the dog.

Don't blame it on the groomer.. the owners bring the dogs in to be shaved no matter how much you try to convince them not too. And yes, sometimes the hair doesn't grow back correctly, even in labradors. If you decide to shave your dog.. be prepared to keep shaving it. Yes they do still shed short hairs, but if they are kept shaved monthly, you hardly notice them. I believe everyone should do what is right for their circumstances and if that included shaving..so be it!

Re: Re: Re: Can you shave a Lab?

A customer brought her lab in and asked for it to be shaved down to stop the shedding. I explained that it does not stop the shedding and as others said, they just shed short hairs. Furthermore that coat insulates their skin from the elements in winter and summer. My boss assigned me to be it's groomer that day...I refused to do it. A good bath with the High V. dryer afterward will get that coat all loosened up(when it's blowing) followed by some combing out. I would never shave my labs. JMO.

Thanks groomers ,like you i would not shave my labs !
Thanks everyone !

Re: Re: Re: Can you shave a Lab?

I have been a groomer before and have told people that come in and want there Lab shaved that this is not good for the dog that coat is there to protect them there are other ways to help the shedding hair come out faster that are better for the dog. they may take a littlemore time but health wize better for the dog........I personally refuze to shave a Labrador and do all I can to change there mind. I do not think it is healthy for the Lab and won't be a part of that even if I lose money.

I had a groomer. Whom I don't use any more.But she asked me if I had ever heard of shaving a lab. I said No why would u. Well she heard it on the Groomers board that people up north, Control the labs shedding and so groomers like in Mn SD MI
etc... shave there labs. I told her she better never make that mistake on my dogs....=(
Another vet I use their groomer I have seen many times shaving goldens ,But she won't shave a lab.??

OMG!!!!!!! Mother Nature gave them (Labs) and all dogs a certain type of coat for a reason.......why take away what god gave them for defense against weather, sun....snow....wind.......they all have wonderful coats for a reason and I would never shave for my sake........I find this very selfish and unnecessary!!!!!!

No. They should never be shaved unless it's for surgery or an injury.

I am a professional groomer, and yes some people want there Labs shaved. Usually with a 7f blade. I personally think it's aweful to do, but then again, I had to once. I had a male lab come to me to be shown in conformation. He had a terrible skin infection on his entire body. I had to shave him close with a 10 blade and wash him daily with a special shampoo. He came back gorgeous and he had a ton of coat at the shows. lucky for me he was doing his coat change, otherwise I would have had to wait a long time to show him. So it can and does happen.