Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Labrador Retriever

When you see a lab for the first time, do you want any specific trait to jump out at you, or do you prefer each trait to be moderate so to speak, but creating a perfect balance as a result? In other words, how would you describe the first impression that you would want to see in the hypothetical best dog you ever produced?

Re: The Labrador Retriever

First and foremost "Temperament" That easy going, gentle, accepting, loving, trusting temperament which is the hall mark of our breed.

Temperament. So much more goes into the perfect dog, but a Lab without that hallmark joyful exerbuance and gentle nature, all the rest is a waste IMHO.

Thanks for the comments, but what about physical traits. Lets assume the first time you see the dog is from outside the ring, so you cant know what the tempermant is like. You see the dog and are overwhelmed at how breathtaking the dog is. What attributes would cause this reaction for you? Would it be a single very impressive trait such as a great keel or huge bone, etc. or would it be balance with no single attribute standing out more than another?

Re: Re: The Labrador Retriever

Balance balance balance along with correct gait as the dog is going around the ring. This catches my eyes first then upon a closer look, I like to find Head, Coat N Tail to match his or her spectacular movement. I'm always checking out the rear ends/thighs on Labradors, even if I'm at home with my own dogs or at the park and see Labradors.

The head and expression has to ooze with that gentle Labrador temperment. I see some harsh looking expressions that leave a person wondering what the dog's temperament is like. The dog could have a wonderful, corrrect temperament but that harsh expression kind of takes away from the appeal of the Labrador

Movement first. All the parts fitting together while in use. No matter how pretty a silhouette a dog makes, if the movement isn't fantastic it spoils everything.

Head and expression. Correct movement is essential in my book too, but it is also essential in any breed. I think the "Labrador look" begins with a correct head and pleasing expression. I personally despise an overdone head that could pass as a rottie one if you were to paint the markings on.

JMHO ~ I look for temperament, conformation and working ability, all three are important. And I look for it in that order for the following reasons:
For me temperament "Makes" the Labrador.
Conformation to me means balance, and equals correct structure and movement.
Working ability is what you see in the drive to please, and the biddibility which to me is evident even in the puppy stage.

As stated in a previous post 'a pretty picture' is only that, you need the rest of the ingredients.

I agree with you Susan. Well said.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

JMHO ~ I look for temperament, conformation and working ability, all three are important. And I look for it in that order for the following reasons:
For me temperament "Makes" the Labrador.
Conformation to me means balance, and equals correct structure and movement.
Working ability is what you see in the drive to please, and the biddibility which to me is evident even in the puppy stage.

As stated in a previous post 'a pretty picture' is only that, you need the rest of the ingredients.

I agree with the advice that "Reaching for the Stars" gave - don't fault judge only...look for virtues as well. It's about the entire picture.

If only talking about conformation, physical traits, and pin pointing THE thing that strikes me the most, it is type. It is not just one thing, but to sum it up in one word, TYPE.

Love Susan's reply, and agree with everything she said.

The very first thing I look for is the head, then I immedately look at bal and movement.

I have turned down dogs with a bitch head even though the rest was very nice in my younger days.

But I still love a great head and flawless movement will get me looking everytime. not only Labs though I appreciate a great moving dog no matter what the breed.

In breeding dogs we have to all think in my opinion health and temperment are number one but physical characctistics are a whole nother thing we all have our preferences and our own types that we prefer.

and what stands out in your mind after seeing a dog for the first time knowing nothing else about them.
What would that be? many of you have answered, but what about the rest of you ?

Balance is usually the first thing that sticks out BUT now-a-days I notice that I notice weight really quickly. I like to see a balanced, athletic dog. A dog in working condition exudes good health. Proper weight for amount of bone is part of balance.

Coat is something I see right away as well.

If course, then I want to see the face and head which includes pigment.

Is exudes a word?

There is something a bit tricky about just looking at coat without being able to touch it. Some coats appear goreous. "Dripping in coat" is someting I hear said at ringside. I find that those dogs dripping in coat often also have a fluffy and open coat, not correct type at all - but it sure does look flashy and feel nice to the touch.

I get my hands on a dog if at all possible and drag the side of my thumb up side of the dog. If they really have a proper coat, a double coat, it will show up there.

I would look for that tail wag. That fun loving Lab under there, then type, head, coat, tail. My hope would be and sometimes you can almost tell from the great expression if they are willing to work for you. Love to see the smart eyes.

To me I look at the outline first from the side view. Every part has to be in balance with one another, balance front and rear angles/assembly, body depth balanced with enough leg under them, substance with enough bone to support it, but more importantly I like a nice reach of neck flowing smoothly into well laid shoulders with the topline in one continuous line to the tip of a nice thick, wagging tail. I get into the details of the rest of the dog (head, coat texture, etc) after that. But the first thing that catches my eye is the dog's outline.

Thank you for saving me some time typing

Agree with silhouette. The outline grabs me and then I think balance and then the details. Head, topline, tailset, bone, coat, length of leg and then the wagging tail.