Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parvo

I rescued a shelter dog and much to my dismay he had Parvo. He was here a week before getting really sick. I had let him be in the house and all over the front yard (yes, I'm really stupid). I cancelled a breeding I was doing for next week because I am really paniced about bringing puppies around here. I have bleached the inside of the house and outside as much as you can bleach the grass. What experience does anyone have with raising puppies where you've had Parvo and how long until I should feel comfortable? I am not too worried about my adult dogs but am keeping an eye on them too.
Thanks for any opinions.

Re: Parvo

thank goodness you did not have puppies on the ground or on the way.
Hopefully he was not shedding the virus at that time.
bleach. bleach and bleach again.
If you did nothing then the chance of it still being around when you have pups is higher, but the bleaching will kill what it touches.

Think about it....how many times we actually bring these virus' into our house and yard. Because your dogs are older and vaccinated they don't react, so you dont know.

No on is 100% safe from such terrible issues. Those who have never encountered it are either anal (good thing!) about visitors and cleaning or been very darn lucky. Most breeders have been darn lucky...

I know how worried you are, and rightly so. There is a new product and though I don't know of any "cases" of a kennel/breeder using it for parvo prevention/cleaning, this is what I would use if it happened to me. I would diffuse into the air and use the cleaner around the house and outside.
_______ is a powerful, all –natural cleaner formulated to distribute the power of therapeutic-grade essential oils in your home while killing germs and bacteria. It cleans and sanitizes because of the proven antiviral, antibacterial and antimicrobial agents. _______ has been proven to be 99.96% effective against bacteria and germs, and viruses. It is a simplified cleaning solution that is earth and child-friendly. _____ has been tested at Weber State University U.S. Patent # 5,492,648.
email me privately if you want to know about this.

I am a big believer in holistic meds but I will NOT mess around with Parvo. Having lost a puppy to Parvo years ago I find that this protocol from UC Davis outlines everything you need to know, including treatment of contaminated sites and effective Parvocidal disinfectants.
http://www.sheltermedicine.com/portal/is_parvovirus_canine.shtml

Good tested cleaning products to use are Trifectant or Virkon-S, KennelKare Parvocidal and of course bleach.

To the poster who touted the Thieves Oil products, please read the Patent you cite. It is nothing more than a patent on effectively emulsifying an oil (lecithin)as a base product. The resultant product is a stable aqueous distribution of the organic oil used as a transmission base for the essential oils which are Thieves products NOT part of the patent. It is not a patented parvocidal, nor antibiotic/antifungal. While it probably would do no damage I would not risk a puppies life testing it.

I had parvo years ago and it was simply devastating. One thing I did beyond bleaching what I could and burning everything else was water the lawn. Water it a lot. I was told to do this by a veterinarian. We live in a warm climate and this was supposed to help reduce the viable time period for the virus. We had puppies 9 to 10 months after the outbreak and had no problems. I vaccinated them at 6 weeks with a high titer parvo only vaccine. As a previous poster said, the parvo virus is supposed to be in every home because of it's means of transmission. We just need to be diligent, vaccinate and do our best.

Re: Re: Parvo

I am thinking good thoughts for you as I too had the infection here in Florida in October of 2006.
I bleached and used trifectant. My husband, a nurse now, was in nursing school at the time and that is what the Dr. he spoke with suggested saying that if it is rated to be used for HIV/Aides protocol it is good for most anything. I dont know anything about the stuff talked about in the prior post, but please, now is not the time for experiments. I am all for alternative ideas and often buck convention, but give me the heavy duty artillery when it comes to diseases like this.

I threw away all area rugs and everything that was not particularly dear to me. Even an old upholstered chair that I couldn't figure out how to clean. I got a fertilizer sprayer and sprayed the yard several times watering in between applications. Over two years later, I just resprayed the yard recently, just because it made me feel better.
I sprayed down woodwork, doors, mopped floors, the whole thing. Your home will be cleaner than it has ever been. Suddenly all I could think of was where could microscopic things hide. It caused me to see just how much clutter I had and let me tell you, gone baby. I am now a minimalist and better off. I will never buy a fabric couch again and cant wait to have every bit of carpet out of my house.

I had a litter of 5 day old pups at the time and thank GOD all were fine. Never a hint. I feel it really was a miracle. I told all the families and made sure that all that had any other dogs at home immediately made sure all vaccines were updated and kept the pups longer than normal to make absolutely sure all was well and that they had a second round of vaccine before they went home.
Over two years later I just had my first litter since go home, healthy and happy.
I have now gotten over my aversion to bleach and it is part of my regular routine. Trifectant is also a staple in my house.

I was a nervous wreck and luckily had a few very knowledgeable long time breeders to literally cry to who helped me keep it together, I hope you do as well as I cant tell you how much it helped as I waited for time to pass.

Parvo is everywhere. We all come in contact with it, especially in hotspots like where I live. I am not a freak about disease, although it may sound like it, but I have a very healthy respect for it now and know that all it takes is a brief let down in my vigilance.

I wish you the best!
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Parvo

Annie I also was just reading about the trifectant product. I looked it up today and saw some actuall independant testing that was done on it .Pretty impressive actually. I may order some just to have it to use for routine sanitizing here at home. Here is this place i found the info at hope its ok to post it .Its strictly to help educate any one that wishes to learn more about it .http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pages/pro_trifect.html
I had parvo hit me about 15 yrs ago .We had a puppy come to me that was a stud fee puppy back and evidentlly it had been exposed prior to it coming to the house here. she was about 8 weeks old and with in 3 days she was sick. She was hospitallized of course and we burned some things and when she came home we isolated her for 6 wks . Bagged all droppings, bleached all the time .We had such dry hands from dipping our arms in 10:1 bleach water . The puppy they told us would shed this virus in the stool for like 6 wks potentially so we didnt take her out on the lawn .Quarantined inside in a pen we set up. We therorized she picked up the virus from a kennel shoe that the owner must have worn out in their dog excercize area.There are coyotes in her area so we figured it came from the animal that wandered on the lawn and she stepped where it had been.Then she later failed to wash her hands prior to touching the pups.A hard lesson to learn.As her pups were sick also 3 days later.
Sadly parvo can be carried into our yards so easily. Birds that land and perch in our bushes and squirrels that forage in the woods where racoons and fox live .Its picked up on thier coat and brought to our homes.A sprayed my grass and all the walls, and floors for months . I have even dipped a dogs feet in mild bleach water /then rinced when I came back from the vet just to be safe.
Its a horrid desease.
sue