Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cranberry capsules for bladder health

we were talking the other day about bladder infections in dogs in general and the mention of using cranberry capsules for maintaining good bladder health. I dont know if I missed the recommended dosage for an adult bitch and how often to give. Can any one give me more info on this and what brand they would recommend .? I can buy from iherb.com or some place like this if I know what to look for .
Sue

Re: cranberry capsules for bladder health

I use them with my female puppies until their first season. I toss one capsule (from Walmart) into the food twice a day.

Re: Re: cranberry capsules for bladder health

laura is there a specific strength of cranberry capsule to use though ? Im presuming you go by the weight of a dog to judge dosage.
sue

Nature's Farmacy DOGZYMES Cran-Tri-C

I, too, use the cran caps from Walmart or Costco. I just pick up 1000 mg. caps and use 1 a day. You can't overdose on them.....all cranberry does is help keep bacteria from sticking to the walls of the bladder.

Ditto here, I do the same thing as Laura.
Aloha,
Jackie

The DogZymes Cran Tri-C has Ester C, which contains calcium. I'm a little paranoid about giving too much calcium to pups.

I've never used it in a very young pup. Both girls had UTI's as youngsters though around 7-8 months of age when I used it.
It is 90% cranberry powder. The rest is made up of Ester C, Ascorbic Acid and ascorbate. Sot the ammount of ester c is small but it is not something I suggest feeding every day from 8 weeks old and on.
I too do not like to much with the calcium levels on young growing pups.

Some crancaps contain lecithin (soy) which some dogs can't tolerate.

Some also contain sugars/sweeteners which of course you don't want.

I use 2100 mg. daily for maintenance on pups with RVs to prevent UTIs up until first heat.

I don't use it otherwise unless I suspect a UTI - test urine PH at home and if elevated go with 2100 mg 2x/day for a week or so and recheck PH.

I have heard people using 400mg with success.