Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Optigen B question

Im fairly to this optigen thing. I have two carriers, what are the risks of breeding them together OR would anyone else breed the two together? Would you get all carriers and no affected? or?

Re: Optigen B question

YOU NEVER ever breed to B dogs together. You have a 25% chance on any given puppy of producing the disease. B must ONLY be bred to A. C must ONLY be bred to A if that decision is made.

B to B = 25% chance of a puppy being A, 25% chance of being C and 50% chance of B

Re: Re: Optigen B question

Thank you. That is what i thought but a breeder told my friend that it was ok. My friend is a golden retr. breeder and just had the tests done. I told her to stay away and if that advise was what her friend is giving her, she needs to look for another mentor.

Never- I didnt think you could get A's from two B's?

Re: Re: Re: Optigen B question

B X B

25% Affected.
50% carrier
25% clear

Never breed B to B.

That would be TWO dogs LOL

Yes, you can Here ya go:

http://www.optigen.com/opt9_test_prcdprabs.html

You're welcome!

Re: Re: Re: Optigen B question

Never? Could you please lead me to the link that shows the stats that you can get an A puppy out of 2 B's.

http://www.optigen.com/opt9_test_prcdprabs.html

Laura = copy cat

HA!

Thank you, i never saw that page on there before, i did not know you could get an A out of 2 B's

Never and Laura- thank you for that link i will send it to my friend now. I do appreciate your help!

PRA is a simple recessive gene in this case. Each parent carries 2 copies of the trait - a carrier dog has one affected gene and one clear gene. Any eggs/sperm of that dog has a 50/50 chance of getting either the clear or the affected PRA gene. If you breed 2 carriers together, there is a 25% chance that both parents would each contribute a clear gene, thus getting an A puppy, a 25% chance of each parent contributing an affected gene, thereby producing an affected puppy. And a 50% chance of one parent passing on a clear gene, and the other passing on the affected gene, thus producing another carrier puppy.

That's my simplified, semi-layman's explanation of the simple recessive trait.

Think of it like you are breeding 2 By's together. We all know how often we actually get keeper quality Yellows from a breeding like that. So Murphy's law would dictate that the prettiest most structurally correct puppy is the one that will eventually go blind. You would have to Optigen test the whole litter, even the ones going as pets. I wouldn't ever want to sell a dog that will end up with PRA again. It's just not worth it.

We've all heard the stories about the breeders that will stud out their B stud-dog to a B bitch. A well known stud-dog or the not well know stud-dog equally.

It's 1 of the biggest known mistakes anyone can make in breeding. And what do they do with the affected (c) pups? Keep them all? Put down the c's and some sicko's have. Give them away for free or don't tell the new owners anything & hope for the best. That they don't go blind later.

C bred to A will all be carriers. (B's) That is safer then to breed B to B's (carrier to carrier.)