Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppy food

Have a family who would like me to change foods on puppy before going home. Children have allergy to wheat and milk- my puppy food has dried milk added. Two choices are Pro plan Selects Puppy Turkey and Barley or Pro Plan puppy Lamb and Rice. I Have used Pro plan Puppy Chicken and Rice- but not the Turkey nor the Lamb. Was wondering if anyone has used them and how their Lab puppies have done on them.

TIA!

Re: puppy food

We feed Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy for years and they have done well. Not sure if this has dried milk product in it or not.

I have fed the Turkey/Barley formula to an adult and she did well. Not sure I would feed a straight puppy food to a Lab puppy...if they can't do a large breed formula, I would probably look at an adult food.

JMO...I am sure you will receive many.

I was not aware that PP makes a Puppy L&R??
I thought only C&R, Lrg Brd or Perf??

Re: Re: puppy food

I have found that Innova large breed puppy's formula specifically targets the rate in which a large breed puppy should grow and that is SLOWLY!My 7mos.Lab puppy is doing well on Innova and enjoys its all natural, holistic, allergen free recipe.

PP does have a puppy/all life stages L&R, but most of the big box stores don't carry it. I know someone who switched to this for their adults when the shreds took over the "regular" L&R.

http://www.proplan.com/products/LambRice_DryPuppy.html

Yes, Pro Plan has made a Puppy Lamb & Rice for some years. There is neither a Large or Small Breed Formula of it, as there is for the Puppy Chicken & Rice.
The PP Puppy L & R has the same Guaranteed Analysis as the PP Puppy Chicken & Rice formula and a very similar ingredient list, with the different protein. In my marketplace, the PP Puppy L&R is only available in 40# bags though - your area may differ.
I have used PP Puppy Chick & rice sucessfully for many years and I would consider the PP L & R equivalent.
The PP Selects Puppy Turkey/Barley would be fine for the wheat allergy situation you mention. I've not seen the PP Selects Salmon & Rice Puppy as not available here, but I'd guess it would be very similar to the T/B Selects.
BTW, the PP Performance formula is an "all-life stages" formula, so technically is not a Puppy Formula, per se.

Well I didn't know that, as it's never been marketed here.
Thanks!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

PP does have a puppy/all life stages L&R, but most of the big box stores don't carry it. I know someone who switched to this for their adults when the shreds took over the "regular" L&R.

Re: Re: Re: puppy food

Sorry, I should clarify that.
Yes Pro Plan has made the Puppy Lamb & Rice for some time, but to my knowledge they do not make a Lamb & Rice Performance formula.
don't you just love trying to keep all the dog foods straight?
Cheers

Replying to:

Well I didn't know that, as it's never been marketed here.
Thanks!

Replying to: