Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sore feet

from all this cold weather (9 degrees)my dogs have blood in the runs from their feet. The kennel is heated but not outside runs. I have 2 going to shows next week and it hurts for them to walk. Put them in house and what would be the best stuff to make them better soon..thanks

Re: Sore feet

but you need E collars so they wont lick. Will heal up fast for you.

Try BagBalm on the bottoms of their feet with Neosporin underneath it to heal them & stop infection. Coat them overnight also with a covering if you can. I can't imagine the cold weather we are having on the pads of any dog feet for an extended amount of time. But why are they bleeding?
My 3 boys & 1 girl are out for 10-15 mins. to pottie & then back b/c of the cold weather even tho they wanna play.
Maybe they found icycles that coulda cut their pads or feet? Looks for where the blood is coming from. It must be very painful if you said it hurts for them to walk.

http://www.bagbalm.com/pets.htm
http://www.bagbalm.com/img/r_can.jpg

Re: Sore feet-Mushers Secret

Mushers Secret may help to prevent it in future-
(Once you get them healed up)

Re: Re: Sore feet-Mushers Secret

been rubbing horsemans dream cream on their feet, working it in good, they stop bleeding just are swollen pads...I feel so bad for them will switch to bagbalm and neosporam...

Had a bitch one time that cut the pad on the bottom of her foot. I soaked the foot in warm salt water baths twice a day. In between, I used the neosporin with a tube sock from in my collection of unmatched socks. She was very good with "leave it" as far as the sock and she healed up very quickly. By the time I got her to the vet (believe it was 2 days later because of a weekend), she was well on her way to healing and vet said to just keep doing what I was doing because it was working wonderfully (didn't even charge me for the office visit). Of course, she, as are all our labbies, live in the house which could have made a difference on healing time.

This is just so sad that your dogs all have bloody feet from the cold. You have a serious problem that you need to address. No dog should have bloody feet from the cold.

Re: Re: Sore feet

For Pete's sake! Those of us who live in cold climates have to deal with pads sticking to ice, or ice cuts on their pads from crusted snow that they fall through.

Unless global warming gets here soon, this stuff happens. It isn't a neglect sitaution...it is active dogs in cold conditions.

MK