Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Insuring your dogs

Hi, How many of you insure your dogs? It is something I am starting to think I should consider.

Thoughts?

Re: Insuring your dogs

Do you mean health insurance?
I use Petcare and although I have yet to use it, I have heard good things from those who have and appreciate the good customer service I have gotten so far as well as the piece of mind.
They have an inexpensive puppy policy for the little ones and I pay upper 30's per month for the adults.
No breeding related issues of course.
I know a couple folks that have it and have used it that frequent this forum so hopefully they will tell you their experiences.
Hope that helps
Annie

http://www.petcareinsurance.com/can/dog-insurance-mastercare.asp
http://www.petcareinsurance.com/can/dog-insurance-first.asp

Re: Re: Insuring your dogs

I have that company's insurance on my dogs. I used it last summer when my then 3 year old swallowed a ball. It paid about $600 of the $900 bill, which helped considerably.
I don't insure for regular, routine visits, but rather in case of something major. I don't ever want to be in the position of having to decide whether I can afford to pay one of my dogs' vet bills in case of a major health problem.
Their service is good. The people are friendly and answer any questions you have. There are several different plans you can choose from.
Your best bet is to decide what you want to insure for and go from there.
Another thing to remember is to read the fine print of any company you are considering. My vet had recommended a different company that sounded great. But the fine print included a clause that requires all dogs to be spayed/neutered prior to one year of age.
We stayed with PetCare for our new puppy.

Re: Re: Re: Insuring your dogs

Great!

I will take a look

Thanks Mary & Anne!

While I don't maintain health insurance on my dogs, I have a rider on my home-owners insurance against theft or death due to a fire or tornado. A few companies still provide this, although they're few and far between.

Barb who do you have your home owners through? I have State Farm and they won't do a rider on show/breeding dogs.

Actually, my insurance agent is in the process of going with a different company presently. He's trying to get us (and many other insurers) a better rate as the other company kept raising rates even without any claims being made.

He has it down to two companies right now and, I think, that both have some kind of rider for show dogs, but I couldn't give you the name right now as I'm not sure what the new company IS! Email me privately and I'll let you know as soon as I know for sure!