Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Food For Seniors

What is the best diet for our seniors? Protien/fat ratio, etc?

Re: Food For Seniors

I prefer 26% protein or higher to maintain muscle mass to support bones, joints, ligaments and tendons, especially in a dog that may be arthritic. Protein also supports the organs (integrity and growth). That is good "quality" "specific" meat protein for easier digestion. It is also important to add water to a kibble with high (especially grain free) protein to aid in digestion.

Dogs draw their energy from fat so it depends on how active the senior is to decide on fat percentage.

Old school was that seniors needed lower protein food, but it turns out it's just the opposite. They need more and higher quality protein. For any age healthy Lab, I like 26-30% protein.

Re: Re: Food For Seniors

I'm going to add that my 8 1/2 year old retired girl is doing great on the Exceed Chicken and Rice! My yellow girl(6) is also doing better. Her coat has never looked this nice. I had them on the Pro Plan Turkey and Barley for years. Stools are compact too. Exceed has a 30% protein and 20% fat. I hope my Sam's keeps carrying it.

Re: Re: Food For Seniors

Agreed.
Higher protein (26-30% +/-) and somewhat lower fat (eg. <16%).

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Old school was that seniors needed lower protein food, but it turns out it's just the opposite. They need more and higher quality protein. For any age healthy Lab, I like 26-30% protein.

I really liked ProPlan Senior. Unfortunately we have to cook for our senior now but she is worth it.