Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Price to purchase a CH/MH dog?

I had no idea where to go to ask this question and so I am posting this here. Feel free to email me if you do not feel comfortable posting a reply here.

I know this is a difficult question, but could I please get an estimate on what a 3.5 - 4 year old yellow male would be that has obtained an AKC Championship and a Master Hunting title? He of course would have OFA hips/elbows, current CERF, CNM/Optigen PRA/PRcd test, heartworm test and all vaccinations and so on.

How about breaking it down by title?
JH? SH? MH? CH?

Thank you for any help you can give to me. I have a number in mind but wanted to double check it with the knowledge of this forum.

Alayne

Re: Price to purchase a CH/MH dog?

I can't even imagine but he would be very expensive. I would imagine at the least, many 10's of thousands.

If he is shooting blancks he worth $0
Why would you sell him?

There is no easy answer. It depends on the dog. There are some Ch. dogs that wouldn't be worth the kibble to feed them. Others could be worth a small fortune.

Despite his conformation, and despite whether he can reproduce, isn't a good hunting dog worth something? A lot of training has gone into this dog to get his MH, I'm assuming.

Depends who wants him. I would guess that someone who spends so much time and $$$ to make up a CH MH, wouldn't part with them very quickly.

Re: Re: Price to purchase a CH/MH dog?

For hunting alone, no breeding, such a dog would be worth at least $5000, in my opinion. I can think of only one dog that fits in that category at that age. Is he for sale?

I know one breeder who gets $10,000 for anything with a Ch.
So a MH behind that as well, I don't know. But alot!

I went into your web site and I think I understand why you are asking the question. The main reason a Ch MH dog would be so valuable is the expense of showing and field training, plus the fact that the dog might fail in either arena. If you are asking someone to split the expenses of getting those titles on a dog, you should not be charging them thousands of dollars before the titles are earned. The price should be based on what the dog has already achieved.

I currently have a show-bred dog about ready to run in MH tests- already has his SH and pointed in very limited showing. I have spent about $7500 on training, entry fees, and having him handled to his SH. Almost nothing, maybe $250, on showing yet- that is still to come. So if we say a Ch MH is worth thousands of dollars, most of that is because of the expense of showing and training the dog to that level. Admittedly, if I trained him myself, I would not have to spend all that money, but to get a dog to the MH level requires grounds to train on, other people to throw birds and shoot live flyers, TIME and KNOWLEDGE. And the right dog- not every eager retriever with a JH can make it to the MH, and of course, not every worthy dog finishes its championship these days.

Regardless of whether you pay a pro to train a dog to MH or you train them yourself, the time it takes is what contributes to the value. Either way, someone has spent a lot of time with the dog, evaluating its abilities. It is through taking this time that one can evaluate the dog. I have trained dogs myself and have worked with pros. The cost of paying a pro is probably cheaper in the long run - I consider my time just as valuable and it would probably take longer. But I work closely with my pro and run the dogs myself because what is important is the knowledge you gain about the dog and its abilities. I know many dogs with a JH that I would never take hunting. The title itself is not the important piece. I would consider a dog that has been thoroughly evaluated and proven to be quite valuable.

You are right- the pro may get it done faster, and that is why I use a pro, as my time is indeed valuable. I agree that you should work with the dog yourself. I try to get down to my trainer's every week while my dogs are down there, but we found that was not often enough for me to run Jake in Sr. as he was still a little green. Hopefully I will be able to run him in Masters. I ran my other MH dog myself after she got her title.

Is the dog in question who is not yet a CH-MH able to complete both titles?

I also went to the site like Peggy and understand your motivation.

I think we never know if a dog is "able" to complete any titles until we have already invested all that time and money into trying it.
So many factors go into this.
That's the expensive part of this hobby.
With that said, I don't believe any "propect dog" is worth anymore more than a pet until he/she has proven themselves in the chosen venue by completing the requirements.
In other words, dog not worth anything extra until title accomplished or at least almost accomplished.

If someone put the time and money in a MH why in the world would they sell him. Use that stud money to pay for the training. That is not cheap at all. Then if he looks good also. Great. But why sell one if you had one ?

I would make sure he has an EIC & CNM clearance before I would buy him.... If he has everything and a wonderful pedigree $20,000 min.

got to remember that in times like these your dogs are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Otherwise they are only worth that much to you!

Because he would be 3-4 and I would have up and coming dogs, he would go to europe and I could keep frozen on him.

Re: Re: Re: Price to purchase a CH/MH dog?

No I have a dog that is getting ready to run and I belive he is Ch quality. He isn't specialy winning quality but well worthy of a Championship. I have a kennel in Europe that wants to purchase him after he obtains his Ch & MH and I have collected him for frozen and used him a few times.

They want to purchase the dog on a co-own and purchase the titles as earned. They wanted an estimate total and then broken down.

I am sure he is Ch quality, especially after he fills out. Not super BOB quality, but well deserving. He looks like he can count, has plenty of drive/speed (like a field bred dog) and can mark super well, so the potential is there the trainer has said.

My best and thanks,
Alayne

I believe he is. Now there can be some bumps in the road as far as the field, but as it is now the potential is there for sure. Really high drive, fast and can count and mark really well.

Conformationally he is nice..not super...but not a dog that isn't well deserving of a Ch. Especially as he matures. I am very lucky to have produced this dog, but I know I will have others behind him and can keep him for a bit for breeding and then freeze him as well.

I would have others that were coming up and could freeze him and also use him until he was at his new home.

A dog that has not yet achieved any title (let alone a CH/MH) is not going to be worth much more than any other show/field potential puppy his age. Too many things can happen (injury, won't pass clearances, can't finish one of the titles, etc.). Plus, if it is the new owner that is financing and putting all of the time and effort into the CH/MH, that should be taken into consideration. Many dogs out there are "potential" CH/MH, but in reality there are very few that actually finish, for a variety of reasons. I have a boy that I am working towards this goal who I feel has a lot of potential, but there is no way I could justify selling him for a premium based on my expectation that he will achieve this goal, especially if I were expecting someone else to make it happen.

As someone who would be interested in purchasing a dog with "potential" (as I value the dual titled dog), I must agree with many of the previous posters- I would NOT pay premium at this stage in his development- more than average young dog but certainly not 20k). Although, he is "nice" and has high drive/etc. There are SO many things that might prevent achieving the goal(s). I have had two "potential" dogs disappoint me in this regarding (for one reason or another, as some have mentioned). Training and handling are such an expense and if a dog doesn't cut it in the ring I'm not of the philosophy to finish him at whatever cost. I would also insist that he have EIC; as a working hunter I see it as critical & certainly, if my intent is to use him at stud. JMHO

Can he take pressure? That has been the sticking point for several dogs I've tried to train to that level. How far along is he in his yard work? Is he forced to the pile, casting, doing baseball, double T, swim by? If he's through double T and swim by, then you might have a good indication that he could do SH work, at least.

The original question was about the cost of a dog that has already attained a CH/MH with full clearances and is yellow, NOT about a young dog with potential.
A dog with that much training and handling with a great pedigree is well worth 20K BUT I do agree that he is only worth as much as anyone wants to pay.

I'm not in the situation to be purse-strings but there still are people with money willing to lease, co-own or own what they consider special dogs. Most of us know who they are and not all of us agree how special some of those dogs are.

I personally like to see conformation Champions with some titling on the other end. I can't always find what I want for stud service but I do try. It doesn't need be a MH along with the Ch. but a JH SH and*or multitude of obedience titles are comforting for my breeding program.

As you don't have the Ch-MH yet & may never, then why are you worried about selling a dog with those titles? If we or trainers worked hard enough with my dog that had the abilities to attain both of those titles no-one else would get their hands on him except for stud or a possible co-own. My name would never leave fully. If those titles are done correctly & fairly that's a super, special labrador. There is no monetary value you can put on him without having someone desiring those qualities & titles on a beautiful boy. J.M.O.

Maybe she is looking to buy?

Personally I would never choose to buy a CH/MH yellow dog from anyone so to me as a buyer he would be worth zero dollars.

...and I would never, ever, ever sell a CH/MH I showed, trained, lived with, and loved for that long. Someone would have to pry him from my cold, dead fingers since I wouldn't be able to put a pricetag on the years of hard work, dedication, and sacrifice it would take to get to that level.

It wouldn't make any sense at all to put forth years of hard work and all of those thousands of dollars just to sell him off after it's all done. I'd keep him for stud service and to warm my feet during those cold Colorado nights.

you guys have all the answers but no numbers that's what they want numbers!! so quit your talking and start walking.
Give him the numbers or zip it!!

Once(if) the OP puts these titles on this dog they will know what it's worth.

To A No No 1 - how is it possible to talk hard numbers based on a totally hypothetical dog?

I have seen some butt ugly CH/MHs out there who clearly only finished because of the big name handler holding the lead. I wouldn't pay a penny for them.

Until the OP posts a pic and pedigree of the particular CH/MH in question no one with two brain cells to rub together could possibly post an actual figure. To many variables to consider in that equation.

If you think anyone could realistically post a figure then you believe we should only pay for titles and not the quality of the dog behind them.

I choose to consider the quality of the dog, titles aside.

Depending on the pedigree and type of dog I would consider a 4 month old untested pup from the right lines much more valuable to me and my breeding program than a finished MH who lacks type, proper temperament, and/or anything else I look for in a dog.

I'll shoot from the hip and say He's worth what someone will pay but no less then $25,000 and maybe way upwards depending on his offspring and What market will he go into. And secondly what has he produced compared to what and who he is, I figure some one will have to make there investment back and then at least double it unless you have a disposable income where you care not about your investment and just want to produce and elevate the quality of the future of either the field trial or the show world.

A dog maybe able to finish a breed CH without having what it takes, but it will not finish a MH (and probably not a SH but likely a JH)without having what it takes, regardless if it is with a pro or not. In my opinion, a specialty winning CH with a WC who really does not have a decent work ethic (which cannot be measured by a WC)is useless as a sporting dog. A typey but unfinished MH who has proven work ethic, biddability and temperament is invaluable.

And the only CH/MH's I know were all owner handled.