Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
poop eating/adding meat tenderizer

Hi,

I have a pet person who has one of my Labradors for 4-H, she asked me this question. Her vet recommended adding meat tenderizer to the diets of all household dogs, to help dogs stop eating the leftovers. Has anyone ever heard of this working? This is a Labrador whom I own and have a planned breeding with this year, and do not want to cause breeding problems. Has this worked for anyone and/or NOT recommended for breeding bitches?? Thank you.

Re: poop eating/adding meat tenderizer

Debra, I have heard of this and tried it with no luck along with a lot of other "cures". I found that picking the darned stuff up ASAP works better than tracking the dogs down to sprinkle stuff on their poops. I've also learned NOT to look and watch who kisses/breathes on me from time to time! Whoever finds a sure-fire cure for this will make their fortune! JMO

didnt work for me either, along with fig newtons, pineapple or commercial mixes.
Pick up 3 times a day is about the only thing I can do.

Re: Re: poop eating/adding meat tenderizer

There was a thread a while back saying that the meat tenderizer isn't healthy for dogs.

Re: Re: Re: poop eating/adding meat tenderizer

I had tried and used it on my poop eaters and it did work to stop them from eating the poop but a couple got a rawness in the mouth from it and then I read it should be used only is it's cooked with so I stopped it... wouldn't use it again...
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Re: Re: Re: poop eating/adding meat tenderizer

I used it, and all the other cures, and didn't see a difference. What works best is going after them and pick it up as it comes out. Though some might be faster than me.
I think they acquire the taste for it, when they eat the one from the moms to be (1 week before whelp) and the one from the moms with puppies. That puppy poop got to have something they can't resist.
I also hope for someone to get the answer for this one.
Hate it!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: poop eating/adding meat tenderizer

I find that winter is poopsicle season and they proudly bring the frozen turds in as if they found a stick or a toy. Then as thawing begins, they tend to eat it a bit more and by real spring, they seem to quit it. Just my experience here. I honestly don't find it a big issue in the heat of summer or the warmer times.

Doesn't it seem like it is only bitches with this behavior? I have never seen a boy do it.

Sex of the dog doesn't matter in our house. In fact two of our boys are the WORST ones!

Well I am sure all of have tried all of the above suggestions but I heard a few months ago that a lot of the stool eating was or might be a potassium lack. I feed a raw diet so the tiny poops I do get are dry and hard but still I have 2 girls who will try to race me to the poops, so I started giving bananas (1/3 banana per dog per day) expecting it would not make any difference but I do believe it works, I will watch my girls race over and sniff the poop then trot on. Like almost anything, it will not work for every case but since bananaS are healthy and natural, what the heck, give it a try

Sure can't hurt to try it - tks!

Re: Re: Re: poop eating/adding meat tenderizer

I saw that on the Dog Whisperer. He trained a dog not to eat poop using bananas.

if it is a potassium issue instead of bananas wonder if a supplement would work as well?

My boys eat poop too, but not as much. The crazy ones about it, are all girls. It is a learned behavior I guess. I think that if I could have the space to exercise the puppies away from the adults (poop eaters) I could control the problem.
I'll try the potassium supplementation. Anything can help.
Keep bringing the ideas. thanks!