Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kidney Issues in Puppy

Just thought maybe someone had an idea for me. A few years ago, a puppy I placed came back with urethral stones and UTI about 5 months after we placed pup at 9 weeks. They did some testing and diagnosed pup with hydronephrosis of the right kidney. I didn't hear anything for a long time and owner would never send reports so I could look into it. Then out of the blue I got an email that he was doing well. So set it aside. Now got an email, pup is now 3 years old, that the kidney is failing. I'm replacing the pup, that isn't the issue. I feel terrible about it, but have never heard of this and was wondering if anyone else has. I have a littermate to the dog in my breeding program as well and numerous half siblings. Was mom's last litter and father is a REALLY well known stud dog, and know of lots of his litters with friends and no one has said they had any issues. Is it genetic, or could it just be congenital, ect? Thanks!

Re: Kidney Issues in Puppy

Did they do an ultrasound of the kidneys? How elevated is Creatinine, BUN, Phosphorous?

I have only dealt with KF in a senior so my methods most likely would not benefit this pup.

I hope you can get some answers and their is a treatment.

There is probably not enough data out there on this conditon to make any kind of conclusion as to whether it is genetic or not.

what is the status of the other kidney?

My only experience in kidney issues in over 20 yrs was a PKD puppy who lived a long life on a KD diet plus milk thistle.
This is a good website with information you might want to check out http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/kf.html

Re: Re: Kidney Issues in Puppy

Thanks!
Yes, he's had numerous ultrasounds done as well as a surgery to see what was going on. I'm just starting to get some of the info from them, hoping to get more on Monday when I can talk with their vet.