Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Food recommendation?

We have finally decided to drop ProPlan completely and are looking at Canidae. Does anyone use this and what results are you seeing from it?

Re: Food recommendation?

My crew ate Canidae for years - the Lamb & Rice and they had great coats. Because Canidae changed their formula I changed foods - I went to Drs. Foster & Smith Lamb & Rice. I swear I love it more. They also have a breeder program. I took a chance on this food when I saw it recommended in the Whole Dog Journal. Their bags are only 30 lbs but they do have great sales from time to time. I recently purchased 4 bags for $94.99, shipping was $11.00 (for all 4 bags) but I had a $5.00 coupon. I was paying $11.00 per bag for shipping when I was buying Canidae from Pet Food Direct.

I switched mine from Pro plan to Canidae ALS 4weeks ago and they all seem to be itchy, my dogs are never itchy and don't have fleas so I'm pretty sure it's the food.:( I'm not sure what to do and am so frustrated! I might try the chicken or switch to something else. They are also gassy still since the food change and have loose stools on and off. My head is spinning trying to feed them quality food for a good price that is readily available- It's hard to grasp paying $60.00 for 30lbs of dog food with the amount of food I go through! Any suggestions are appreciated.

Have not had good luck with it, try Exceed.

My dogs do very well on the food. They have been on Canidae for years and I have had no issues. I am very pleased with thir new formulation and my dogs seem to be doing even better on it. Canidae offers a great breeder program buy 5 get 1 free. They also are happy to send coupons out anytime I've called.

One bit of advise I'd offer though if your switching from Proplan to Canidae. Canidae is a much richer food, so you should feed quite a bit less to get the same results. Do not expect to feed the same amount of Canidae that you did with the proplan or you are alomst guarenteed gas and sloppy stools. I would start off with a very moderate amount of food and work up to what works for the dog without overfeeding.

I know several Labrador breeders in the Southern California area who also feed Canidae with excellent results.

What are your thoughts about eukanuba sporting 30/20? Switch to that from the proplan, and so far good, but coats are not great..... any coments?

Re: Re: Food recommendation?

I heard Diamond took over Canidae, which is why many were all of the sudden having issues, when they never had issues before.

What about Merrick, California Natural, Fromm, Taste of the Wild?

Re: Re: Re: Food recommendation?

I like the Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula of ProPlan. Dogs have good coats and I NEVER have stool problems.

To another breeder . . . . could you please forward info regarding Diamond and Canidae (sp?). Thanks.

Have been feeding Canidae for quite awhile and everyone is doing wonderfully, even during the change in formula (soft poops for a short period of time). Feeding the ALS (44lb bags) to adults, the chicken to puppies, seniors and adolescents (more protein), and use the grain-free for pregnant, nursing moms, and post-nursing moms until they are back to normal condition (higher protein and fat). They all love it, coats are great, and they are healthy and happy. Puppies grow evenly, nice size, with great bone and muscle. Just bought 10 44-lb bags for $37/bag and last month the chicken (30lb) was on special for $24. I stock up when on special (Pet Supplies Plus or Agway) and use the wonderful breeder program (1 free bag with purchase of 5). Haven't used the lamb because it is lower in protein.

Re: Re: Re: Food recommendation?

I feed Diamond and don't have any "issues" at all!

Nope Diamond did not take over Canidae. That's just a rumor that circulated. Canidae has not changed ownership in any way. They do however contract with Diamond to make their Dry foods. Diamond makes it to their specifications, just as Diamond does for many other food companies. Canidae has just been open and honest as to where their food is made. I suggest if you have questions to call their customer service line.Heck you might even talk to one of the Labrador people they have working for them.
http://canidae.com/customer-support/meet-the-team.htm
When ever I've had questions or concerns especially with lovely rumors that spread on the internet I've called and have been very happy.

To smiley face, thanks for clarifying the Diamond/Canidae question. I was recently comparing the Diamond C&R to Kirkland C&R and found that there are alot more vegetables and fruit in the Kirkland plus more minerals and Gluco & Contro which is not in the Diamond product. I found the Diamond for a great price at an independant feed store and considered switching, but the ingrediants coupled with price makes the Kirkland a better choice for us.

Re: Re: Food recommendation?

I currently switched my dogs to the Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul which is made by Diamond. My dogs are loving it. Stools are firm and lower smell than with Eukanuba that we were using. My dogs coats were not looking their best with Eukanuba so we are hoping to see good results. Anyone have any experience with the Chicken Soup brand food???

I tried Canidae. A few did really well on it, a few did not do so well on it, and one lost a coat that we thought would never come back. Took one year for us to get the coat back.