Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OREGON DOG LAW ~ I attended the Salem Capitol hearing on Feb 23rd

HB 2470 will be the extinction, of the Pure Bred Dog Fancy in Oregon! We are in big trouble!!

The Lemon Law portion of the bill is especially frightening ~ guaranteeing every puppy for 2 years, for conditions there aren't even DNA tests for and resulting in huge fines and legal fees.

It is shocking how HUGELY supported and organized the other side is! ...and the HSUS and PETA are using very emotional and dramatic testimony! Besides PETA and HSUS officials and Animal Control Officers testifying in favor, there were multiple veterinarians, as well as an AKC Collie judge/breeder. Another speaker showed emotional Chihuahua Puppy Mill pictures and a pet owner was on the verge of tears, voice cracking as she spoke. The overflow room, I was in, was flooded with people, wearing "Spay and Neuter" tee shirts clapping and cheering, as each speaker on their side testified!
We are in big trouble folks! ~ We have a HUGE UPHILL battle ahead if us!!
I will be at the Salem Capitol next Tuesday and March 23!! I HOPE YOU WILL TOO!!

Re: OREGON DOG LAW ~ I attended the Salem Capitol hearing on Feb 23rd

This is a frightening piece of legislation. For those who want to read it here is the link
www.leg.state.or.us/09reg/measpdf/hb2400.dir/hb2470.intro.pdf

I am not sure who this person is, but they live in Oregon and have written what I think is a wonderful overview in their blog
http://talentedanimals.com/blog/?p=144

Good Luck in Oregon!

Here's wishing you Good Luck from Ohio, Julie. I hope that everyone finds the time to view what's written into this bill so they can see, first hand, what many of the rest of us are likely to be up against in the very near future.

My prayers and best wishes are with you as you fight what, as you said, is an uphill battle.

Julie, that sounds like a terrible situation, but the one ray of hope people should always remember is that there are more breeders and dog owners than HSUS and PETA people in any state (read more people who can vote), including Oregon. If the people there can mobilize their club memberships and puppy buyers to send letters/emails/faxes to their state legislature, as well as attend the major demonstration coming up, they still may be able to stop this legislation. Legislators must be made to understand Oregon people like pet ownership and want it to continue, and a vote against owning pets (by supporting this legislation), will be remembered when the legislator in question decides to run again! Fortunately most politicians put self interest first, and if a vote for something might cost them their "seat" they will think twice before voting for it.

/s/ The Devil's Advocate

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

HB 2470 will be the extinction, of the Pure Bred Dog Fancy in Oregon! We are in big trouble!!

The Lemon Law portion of the bill is especially frightening ~ guaranteeing every puppy for 2 years, for conditions there aren't even DNA tests for and resulting in huge fines and legal fees.

It is shocking how HUGELY supported and organized the other side is! ...and the HSUS and PETA are using very emotional and dramatic testimony! Besides PETA and HSUS officials and Animal Control Officers testifying in favor, there were multiple veterinarians, as well as an AKC Collie judge/breeder. Another speaker showed emotional Chihuahua Puppy Mill pictures and a pet owner was on the verge of tears, voice cracking as she spoke. The overflow room, I was in, was flooded with people, wearing "Spay and Neuter" tee shirts clapping and cheering, as each speaker on their side testified!
We are in big trouble folks! ~ We have a HUGE UPHILL battle ahead if us!!
I will be at the Salem Capitol next Tuesday and March 23!! I HOPE YOU WILL TOO!!