Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What form and dosage of Vitamin C do you use for puppies?? At what age do you start them?

There are so many varieties of vitamin C...
which do you think is the safest, and most effective, and at what age do you start them?
thanks.

Re: What form and dosage of Vitamin C do you use for puppies?? At what age do you start them?

at 8 weeks 125mg/25 lbs.

At one year 1000mg daily

C with Rosehips in tablet form.

Re: What form and dosage of Vitamin C do you use for puppies?? At what age do you start them?

no C

not effective

What do you guys use it for? My Undersanding was that only Humans, Monkeys and Guinnea Pigs were the only animals that dont produce their own Vitimin C.

Re: Re: What form and dosage of Vitamin C do you use for puppies?? At what age do you start them?

Pat Hasting's book refers to a study by Cornell University that indicated "that a Vitamin C supplement allows dogs to utilize more readily the available calcium in their bodies."

She said don't use ester-C

Mike

Just a reminder that Vitamin C is water soluable. What that means is that whatever is not immediatly used in the body passes right out in the urine. Minimal amounts of Vitamin C are used in a canine body. Giving more than the body can utilize is a complete waste of money. But, we all love to throw money away on our dogs so this is just one more way to do so.

C helps with immunity.

It is also an antioxidant and is an aid to the liver just like E and B complex, which are also antioxidant vitamins.

C also helps with collagen during gestation, among other things.

Google it for canines - you will find a lot of info.

You never want C with Ester for pups - that is adding calcium to the diet.

My orthopedic vet says save your money, it doesn't work.

Re: Re: What form and dosage of Vitamin C do you use for puppies?? At what age do you start them?

I for one don't believe it works for ortho problems but I do believe that it does work to make for a healthy immune system on the dogs so I do give it to my dogs, doesn't cost much and I buy the big bottles from Costco or Sams, as my vet said, it won't hurt so go ahead.
Aloha,
jackie