Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Show Manners

At a show recently a person in front of us was talking about my friends dog to someone else and it was not a nice remark. The person making the comment is not familiar with its owner or the dog, other than maybe seeing the dog at shows. The owner of the dog is a wonderful person and their dog is gorgeous and has a delighful friendly temperament that many people are in love with, the dog is a regular winner as well. Would you approach the person and ask them why they made that untrue comment? or would you let it go?
The first thing that comes to mind is jealousy of a nice dog, but what kind of Labrador person cannot enjoy someone else's nice dog?!

Re: Show Manners

I would approach them and ask why they feel that way.
Try to be nice and you might get an honest response, or at least let them know people are listening!!

That sort of thing has been going on for as long as I've been showing Labs. Ignore it and move on. It will happen again.

One of my favorite stories, and I still laugh about it though it was 25 years ago, was two breeders were at a show I was at. One of my friends was showing breeder one's dog because the breeder one ran her foot over with a vacuum and lost her toenail.

Anyway, her dog won and beat both my dog and the second breeder. The second breeder came out of the ring complaining up a storm about the winning dog, right to the face of breeder one, not realizing she owned the winner.

"Oh the eyes are too light, the bitch can't move" yada yada. I was trying hard not to just burst out laughing.

Breeder one told breeder two that it was her dog and in mid sentence B2 suggested she buy contacts for her dog. LMBO!!!

As the saying goes, Winners Bitch but losers bitch more.

LMAO!!

Laura has the right attitude IMHO

*Winners Bitch but losers bitch more*

He he he

Re: Re: Show Manners

AND if it is too hot in the kitchen you can always stay out.

If I don't have something nice to say I save it to myself. I might discuss matters latter with the appropriate person in private.
I was told once, the more people are trying to kick your "rear end" the more people you have behind. I think it is true. JMHO.

I was told once, the more people are trying to kick your "rear end" the more people you have behind. I think it is true. JMHO.

I don't understand this? The more people you have behind? meaning your out in front on top type of thing?

Once had a lovely bitch that did a good deal of winning. I would have to go in the ring while a local "icon" of the breed held court to anyone who would listen to what was wrong with her. Even the win couldn't drown out his mean comments. He really spoiled things- I was just out with my girl having a good time. People should just be quiet. Almost all of the dogs you see in the ring today have something nice about them, even if it is just the temperament. (which is the best part anyway)
Maybe not every dog will finish, but not all champions will be specials, either.

Re: Re: Re: Show Manners

If I am having a private conversation with another party, it is no one else's business what we talk about, likewise, if I overheard you talking to some one in private, it is none of my bee's wax what you all talk about.

Now, if it is thrown around so that all can hear with malice intent, then maybe you can blow them a kiss as you just keep on truckin!

That's called taking the high road.

It may be no one's business what you are talking about but PLEASE, do you not have ANY manners???????????
JMHO that in a public place, it's not polite to trash talk anyone elses dogs!!

Between being in dogs and horses, I've grown a very tough skin. I really don't let those sorts of comments get to me. It's a given that others WILL make derogatory remarks about someone else's dogs, especially if they win and beat their dogs. Hopefully those individuals would have some tact and not making loud remarks for everyone around them to hear, but if they are audible, what are you really going to do about it? One way to look at is that obviously that particular dog is a "threat" to them if they feel so compelled to bash it.

I know plenty of people don't care for my dogs. I've heard comments at shows as well as behind my back (ain't that gossip grapevine something?!)--so be it. I happen to like my dogs and I'm the one who chooses to feed them. Sure, if would be nice if this was a sugar coated world, and there was never negativity, but, alas, it's not. I've heard plenty of negative comments about my dogs as well as friends dogs--some of which I agree with, many of which I don't. I know all dogs have faults, I know not everyone likes the same type, no big deal. Cripes, there are specialty winners I wouldn't choose to keep in my kennel!

People need to keep in mind that when we enter our dogs in a show, we are allowing our dogs to be evaluated by the judge and whoever else happens to be watching at that particular show. As harsh as it sounds, when evaluating breeding stock, one needs to note virtues as well as faults. Owners of the dogs shouldn't take it personally. Maybe that particular dog DOES have a short upper arm or is a bit long in loin. Even if you do disagree, this is a subjective hobby we are in and others are entitled to their opinions.

I'll admit I have sat ringside chatting with a friend and have made comments about what I do and don't like about a particular dog. By discussing dogs with others, we help train our eye to see dogs and evaluate them as well as see what certain pedigrees are producing. Maybe I have dogs with low tailsets so make a comment (that someone else overhears and construes as "bashing") about a winning dog that happens to have a low tailset. Sure, it's a fault, but maybe the rest of the dog was lovely so the judge put it up. Does that mean I'm not allowed to make a comment about that low tail set and make a mental note of the pedigree that produced that?

Does that mean I'm not allowed to make a comment about that low tail set and make a mental note of the pedigree that produced that?

This was not a remark about a certain part of the dog what they didn't like, it was more of an annoyance that the dog seem to exist, best way to explain it. This is a really nice dog from very top lines, so we guess it was said out of a jealousy factor. This persons dogs are not my cup of tea either, so the more I think about it, I can see where the remark was probably rooted.

People are always going to find the negative with other peoples or other breeders dogs if it is not their own. You just need to get over it! All dogs have faults and we all need to look at our own dogs objectively and realize that. I have overheard people say negative things about my dogs and I let it go. I like my dogs enough to show them and they are deserving to be in the show ring and they win. Sometimes it is not even the dog that people don't like it is the owner or the breeder that they don't like so they bash the dog. It would be nice if people had some show edicate, but hey do people act polite overall dog shows or other? If people want to yap their mouths and show their ignorance then so be it, let them. What goes around comes around. I would not even waste my time in confronting anyone, if the dog is out there winning and they don't like it, to bad for them. They are just sour grapes that it is not their dog winning.

Not many of us are perfect, human nor canine.

Re: Re: Re: Show Manners

I have to say that Show Manners in this breed has become somewhat of an oxymoron. It has gotten worse and worse over the years.

I was just the target of some unkind remarks recently...oh, well, not me, but my bitch. However, truth be told, I think it had more to do with me than the bitch... In any case, it hurt for a moment or two, until I considered the actual source (told to me by a "real friend") and then laughed it off...

The sad thing is when this happens to a newbie. It can totally turn people off a breed and showing. So, shame on those who do it. It doesn't make YOUR dogs any better by disrespecting someone else's. There are people I don't care for in this breed, but I can still admit when they have a "Good One" out in the ring...

Or as I was taught: If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all... It's still good advice.

Best,

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Voicing a negative one out loud ringside is never a good idea. You never know who may be nearby in hearing range. As a newbie with my very first show dog, I had the unpleasant experience of hearing the person sitting right next to me loudly offer his unflattering opinions on my dog, including his feeling that my boy was fat. I was very hurt, but got my revenge when he won his class. Then when his handler returned him to me as I sat there, Mr Bigmouth fell all over himself, trying to apologize. I must admit, I enjoyed his discomfort.
Kathy

I have just begun to participate in the conformation ring- I have to honestly say I was shocked at the ring side commentary. I found so distasteful I considered NOT participating (who needs to be exposed to such negative energy & if this is what its about I don't want to be involved).

But, as I have educated myself I have shifted my perspective...I'm not (nor is my dog)out there for everyone else's running commentary (we, humans, all have differing opinions), so I choose not to focus on that. I am in the game because I "believe" my dog has something to offer (in terms of my understanding of the standard)& what my "developing eye" likes to see. I am also curious to see if the judge agrees. I (along with my dog) compete against an interpretation of the standard. I will say, I listen carefully to the long time breeders who know how to deliver their observations and have a willingness to educate someone like me. I'm focused more on developing an eye for what I like to see in the ring and as a result what I myself feel "worthy" of putting in the ring- this approach makes it educational & alot less stressful. JMHO.

I am right there with you Total Newbie. I am showing a gawky puppy to boot! So of course she has issues as she is growing and changing with each show. I do know a bit about conformation as I judges animals in a different arena and know that my girl does have something to offer and we are in there learning together.

I am also realisitic and know that I am also judging the dogs in the ring myself - in order to learn and decide what I like in a labrador within the standard and what is important to me.

Everyone in this sport needs someone they can go to that will give them encouragement when you get smacked down my someone - to tell you to keep going and put things in perspective when your emotions get the better of you.

Show Manners

I also am a newbie and showed my dog not long ago, had a wonderful hander for her. Everyone ring side was Wonderful, Encouraging AND Courteous, had excellent feedback. That was the first day and the 2nd day was even better as all the ladies came back and said that my girl had made great improvement from one day to the next! I am Blessed to have had a great experience and really look forward to seeing all the ladies again! It was just GREAT!!!!!

Viola Charo, just know its not all nice and roses.
You will also experience "the other side" in the game.

Yeah probably right around the same time you start winning!! LOL

I learned early on:

It is not my business what other people think of me or say about me! The only thing I need to worry about is my family (which includes my dogs) and myself! To do the best I can do, enjoy myself at the things I do and not worry about petty comments. I replied to this form and actually put my name down unlike those who replied to my comments as I had a really nice time and was trying to tell you about the good that does happen at the shows. You seemed to be focused on the negative aspects ... If you'd like to privatley email me please let me know in your next comment....

asking for show manners here

hahaha

Here's the thing - it's not just show manners. It's everywhere you look - at shows, at little league games, at school plays, in the workplace, you name it. Manners, sportsmanship, making nice, class - whatever you choose to call it seems to be on the decline and the reasons for it are beyond my grasp. Someone I know was recently in a situation where some very unkind (and untrue) things were being said without a thought, apparently, of any ramifications. The fact is when one person chooses to attack another - be it through text messages, email, on a forum, in a chatroom, on a blog, over lunch, in the office, wherever - it speaks more about the person doing the attacking than it ever will about the person being attacked. A couple of generations ago it was quite common to hear people tell their children, "if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all". Personally, because it has taken me some time to get there I know it can be done: put some effort into training yourself to make being nice to people your signature. At the end of the day, that is how you will be remembered.

Just tell those nasty people that you just entered the dog to try to help them make a major, but remember: it is more fun to do that AFTER you take the points!

I had someone I don't even know (different breed) say to me as I was walking my 12 month old bitch in the building recently at a show, "aww, cute puppy! Building those majors huh??".
I was appalled.
I was actually walking her back in for her picture since she went RWB that day!!