Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No more imports????

I just heard a rumor? That we are not allowed to import dogs into the U.S. without a Broker??? not a Breeder a paid Broker?
Does anyone know anything about this supposed law?

Re: No more imports????

I haven't heard from anyone on this subject, so I went back and checked old postings under (FLIGHT) search. Still not enought imformation. Does anyone know anything else about this situation?

Re: Re: No more imports????

Dogs SHIPPED into the US must be handled by a shipping agent. Dogs that fly in cabin or cargo WITH someone are still allowed to be brought in by the owner.

What designates a "shipping agent"?

who is qualified as an agent? What if Breeder is on same flight as dog but dog in cargo????

best thing to do is call the airline you are wanting to use and ask them.

Yes animals flying alone must go through a shipping agent. There are several to use. It costs an extra $2-500 to use them. You can import but it will cost you more! Just gotta love the government!

A week ago we were at the border bringing a pup into
the United States and the pup was with us and we still
would have needed a broker at 6pm on a Saturday night.
Fortunately the border patrol officer called the USDA vet and he had no problem with us crossing and so he let us cross but we had to state how much the puppy was bought for. At this time any pup that is $2,000.00
or more would definately need a broker and the pup would have to stay there until a broker came. We never found out the fee for the broker.

Re: Re: Re: No more imports????

I thought this new ruling was just for airlines - dogs flying into the states needed a broker. Were you driving?

Re: Re: Re: Re: No more imports????

Yes,we were driving.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No more imports????

Thanks for all the imput, but I'm back to my original question. Can a breeder from another country bring in a puppy on the same flight to the US without a Broker???

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No more imports????

I answered that in about the third post. Yes. I am flying to Finland next month and have arranged to bring something back with me. I was assured that I only needed the Int. health certificate with all the shots listed. I will bring the dog through customs myself.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No more imports????

Thank you.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No more imports????

The lesson that we learned bringing the pup over the
boarder was never tell them that you are a breeder because once we said that was when they said that they needed to have a broker come as it is a business transaction.