Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
multiple handlers

What in world do you all think that the Pros in handling think about all those people that handler hop? Trying to get into showing and have lots of questions!

Re: multiple handlers

Please rephrase the question so I can understand it.

Hah! I can't speak for others, but I can tell you how MY handler feels about it! It is NOT exceptable especially around the PHA folks and a good way to tick them off. Study hard and find the best handler for you and your dog and stick with them unless something goes wrong. EX, dog gets sick or is not happy. Trust me, losing a lot is not reason to switch handlers, showing dogs is not for the soft touch!

Re: Re: multiple handlers

If a handler has been showing your dog, maybe got a few minor pts. and dog is NOT showing well, nor happy, I don't see why you wouldn't switch handlers. I had to do it once and my dog was so much happier and finished very fast. It wasn't the right chemistry with the first handler. Why waste money, time and risk your dog's happiness?

What???

Gimme a break!!
Handling is a service and I have the right to take my business wherever I please and pay whom ever I please until I find the right match!
I have changed handlers from one pro to another and it worked out very well.
What are you saying that I should have left my dog with the first pro just because I chose to try them first??
It wasn't the right match for my dog OR for me.
I changed and found a perfect fit for both of us!
It's a free market and I will spend my money where I want to!

Would you continue to let a roofer finish a roof job on your house knowing it's sub-par and will probably leak with the first good rain? You would fire him/her and have someone else fix and finish it. There could be a multitude of reasons, or one good one for switching handlers. I'm not condoning "bouncing" around.

Easy...Gimme a break! Did we hit a sore spot with you or what? We all controll our cash and our decisions, hopefully!Look past all the TRUE reasons to find another Handler and SOME people are just FICKLE AND VERY UNPROFESSIONAL that do it! Ya know? We should all know that great connection when we see it!!

I've used two different handlers over the past 20 years. They are aware of it, are friends and don't seem to mind. Neither has ever turned me down. I use them according to what else they're showing and where they're going. Seems like common sense to me.

I must clarify also, I am not condoning bouncing around either.
There is one person I have seen handler-bounce quite frequently and to tell you the truth, it is nothing less than irritating.
This person goes to shows and asks whatever pro is there to take their dog in.
I can count at least 4 top pro's that have picked up ringside, without prior notice, this persons dogs.
I do not think it's fair to clients whose dogs are "on the truck" and are paying good money for these handlers services.
If it was occasional, I may see it differently.
But this has become common practice for this person.
I just wish the handlers knew hw to say no........

I've used two different handlers in the passed 3 months.

Handler 1 does a great job with my girl. And my girl loves her. BUT she said that she wasn't going to a show that I wanted my girl to go to, for the judge.

So I hired a different handler that I knew well. Then handler 1 decided she was going to go to that show, and I got a nasty email from the show that she refused to show my girl anymore after she saw handler 2 on her.

I said that's fine, Handler 2 finished her at the show!

I won't use handler 1 anymore. Too childish for my liking.

"showing dogs is not for the soft touch"

Exactly, so if you want to switch handlers go ahead. It is my money and I could care less if they get angry. They will get over it real quick when I want to pay them again!

True if a handler is not doing the best they could with your dog there is no reason not to look for another. It is a service and people paying to have their dogs shown should get their money's worth. Besides when the handler wants to drop your dog for another that they like better or a client that is paying more, they do not look back.