Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Centronuclear Mylopathy...health clearance for this???

a person asked me on the phone today if my dogs had a health clearance for Centronuclear Mylopathy?

Can anyone tell me about this?

Re: Centronuclear Mylopathy...health clearance for this???

Is it me or are we getting wwaaaaaayyyy too complicated these days!!!

You can find just about everything you need at this site:
http://www.labradorcnm.com/

There are a number of youtube videos of CNM affected labradors as well.

Re: Re: Centronuclear Mylopathy...health clearance for this???

wow, yet another clearance to do, better break my piggy bank again. Not much in there much lately.

Who has used this health clearance, and how does this differ from EIC?

All of my dogs are CNM cleared. It is a horrible disease that is more common in field lines but I do know of a "show lines" dog who is a carrier.

"Breeder," it is a simple cheek swab test and inexpensive at $65 plus shipping.

I have tested all of my dogs for CNM and EIC (except for the 1st generation clear by parentage female I have).

No EIC carriers, but one bitch that is a CNM carrier--I kept a male from her that is CNM clear, EIC clear.

MK

MK

Re: Re: Re: Centronuclear Mylopathy...health clearance for this???

There are two laboratories in this country now offering the CNM test in addition to the Alfort group. VetGen.com and Vetdnacenter.com both have information on ordering the test. Both are accepted by OFA. Just more options.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Centronuclear Mylopathy...health clearance for this???

Which out of the ones you listed are less expensive and which one is quicker at returning results?
I know you could answer this Maureen, is the CNM the same as Optigen, if both parents are clear then the pups are ok? Normal to carriers- ok, but affected to affected or affected to carrier- NO WAY???

Does anyone know if the OFA will issue a certificate and list a dog CNM clear yet? Our boy was done in France and is on the white list.

There are two laboratories in this country now offering the CNM test in addition to the Alfort group. VetGen.com and Vetdnacenter.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maureen ---
Are these 2 places Vetgen and Vetdnacenter as good as doing the CNM test as the Alfort group? Would there be any different in their testing?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Centronuclear Mylopathy...health clearance for this???

As to mode of inheritence...yes. It is a single, autosomal recessive so you can think of it in the same way as PRA (or EIC, etc.)

I use and recommend DDC
They have been very customer oriented, provide free swabs, have somewhat lower prices AND give a multi-dog discount. They are taking about a week or so to send out results. They always email me mine first - not sure this is how all are handled. I just used them for a combination of CNM and EIC for two of my youngsters. Their EIC results, while accurate, are not accepted by OFA at this time due to prior arrangement with UMinn. t was nice to be able to send one set of swabs and get multiple tests. Visit the website for prices and more info.

Results from all three of the labs that run the test are accepted by OFA for certification. You just have to fill in the form and send a copy of your results with the $15. REMEMBER to send a copy to LabraData while you are at it

The two US companies do not maintain a "list" of results, they assume you will post results on OFA or elsewhere yourself. The Alfort group has a "White list" for dogs that are tested clear. Many of the FT people find this a benefit so their dogs will be on the list. I didn't feel it was worth it for my use just to know the dogs' status, so I opted to use DDC. There is a little difference in price ($65 at Alfort and VetGen - $58 at DDC) and DDC does not require a prepaid kit - the others do. Just check out the various options for yourself - no one size fits all

My dogs have OFA certificates and are listed. There is a $15 fee to do this though.

The OFA will issue a CNM clearance and certificate based upon the Alfort clearance. All you need to do is submit to OFA (download the form) with a copy of the Alfort certificate.
I found the Alfort Vet School very easy to deal with.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Centronuclear Mylopathy...health clearance for this???

Is there a company that will do both test?

Where does one get the swabs?

Are the results confidential or open registery?

Does Optigen offer these tests?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Centronuclear Mylopathy...health clearance for this???

Is there a company that will do both test?

Yes.... DDC at vetdnacenter.com. Their EIC results are not accepted for certification by OFA due to prior agreement with UMinn.

Where does one get the swabs?

From the company that is testing. VetGen and Alfort have a prepaid kit. DDC sends a free kit on request.

Are the results confidential or open registery?

Confidential in general. However, if you do NOT want your clear results on the Alfort "White list", you have to specify that on the form.

Does Optigen offer these tests?

No.

So OFA won't accept results to post if it isn't from Alford?

Re: Re: Re: Centronuclear Mylopathy...health clearance for this???

nuther question.. Does the DDC do cheek swabs for both tests? as the EIC at the other place is blood only right now.

I didn't find Alfort easy to work with - I'm glad you did. Their computer server dropped while I was registering a dog and would not let me either complete or restart the registration process. It took several months for them to "clear" the dog from their computer so I could reenter it. I ordered the kits and did not receive them. After two emails, they did send (or resend) the kits.

This has been a couple of years ago, so I think they have figured out their own processing problems by now and are likely more user friendly. I'm glad there are so many options for this test and I'm sure one of them will fit most breeders.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Centronuclear Mylopathy...health clearance for this???

DDC works strictly from cheek swabs, so YES. That was why I had my EIC run there - I sent swabs for CNM and had them run both tests. Again... their EIC test is NOT eligible for OFA certification, so keep that in mind if you decide to follow my lead.

I have said several times already on this thread that OFA accepts ALL THREE of the labs that do the CNM test.

Thanks, but that is not what SWF said, so I was clarifying! Maybe its time for a break from the computer Maureen???

"Thanks, but that is not what SWF said, so I was clarifying! Maybe its time for a break from the computer Maureen???"

This rudeness is uncalled for, SWF did not say anything about the US labs, SWF was only sharing info on the lab in France. I think a break may be in order for someone else who normally isn't this rude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Centronuclear Mylopathy...health clearance for this???

I do not see on the DDC site where they offer the EIC test? Is it something you have to special request?

http://www.vetdnacenter.com/canine-disease-Myopathy.html

"DDC" wanted info on EIC, here is their link. Try not to post in the middle of the thread or you risk getting buried.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Centronuclear Mylopathy...health clearance for this???

I just talked to them. They are taking requests for the test, but don't have the web page up yet. I'm sure they want to make the wording just "so" because it will be their only disease test that is not eligible for OFA certification. When you call to order the swabs, be sure to mention that you want to run EIC. BTW, if you have had color testing or another of their tests in the past they will likely have a stored sample that can be used for the new tests they recently added.

The above is a link for the CNM test, the page for EIC is not up yet on their site. It should be today and I will post a direct link for those who are interested.

The point about posts being lost is a good one, so I will add a comment here that I just posted in the middle of the thread. If you have had ANY test done by DDC in the past (coat color, etc.) they probably have a stored sample that can be used for any additional tests. Optigen does the same thing - even if you don't pay for long-term storage

Thank you Maureen for correcting my mistake and thank you for reminding me that DDC might still have a sample of mine for further testing, that's very helpful!