Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best kennel for flying

Hi all,
I'm flying a dog to the Potomac and I'm wondering what is the safest/best kennel to purchase for her. I'm a NON-flyer but am finally after 7 years of being to afraid to fly actully doing it Thanks in advance for any input!!
Sonya

Re: Best kennel for flying

Petmate. Has all the requirements for ventilation.

Check with the airline. They may have specific requirements.

Tractor Supply has an excellent plastic kennel as does walmart (pet mate).
They are as good as the original vari kennels and hundreds cheaper!!
You need to make sure you get the water and food bowls that attach as well as the live animals stickers.

Sonya; Normally airlines tell you this and do it themselves, however - please ensure that you ziptie the crate together. What I mean is that where the nut and bolt holes are should be slots where you can put a plastic ziptie through. With the amount of moving your dog will go through in the crate, you don't want these screws coming lose.

I also suggest that you get a water bucket that is attached to the front door of the crate so that in case of a layover - the flight attendants can water the dog.

Cheers and Safe Flying to your pooch.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi all,
I'm flying a dog to the Potomac and I'm wondering what is the safest/best kennel to purchase for her. I'm a NON-flyer but am finally after 7 years of being to afraid to fly actully doing it Thanks in advance for any input!!
Sonya

Another suggestion made to me by the airline is to make sure identification for you, the dog & an emergency contact (for where you're travelling to) is securely fastened (I use clear packing tape to cover it entirely after putting it in a plastic sleeve) to the crate AND that your dog has identification on it and if possible, your contact info too. Just in case the dog/crate get separated. Have a wonderful time at Potomac & best of luck!

I own two Marchioro airline kennels. They are pricier that the run of the mills Petmates, Vari-Kennels, etc., but well made, comfortable and sturdy. My dogs have flown in them safely. They are a quality product.

Some great suggestions here! I have just one thing to add:

In addition to attaching a small bucket to the inside of the crate door I recommend attaching a funnel to the outside of the door. I've purchased funnels before that have a little loop on them and allow me to attach them to the crate door with a zip tie. If airline personnel need to fill that bucket this will allow them to do so without opening the door.

Safe travels and have a wonderful time!

Aloha,
Kim

place ice in the water bucket instead of water. Fed Ex sleeves act as a good place to hold things. Bring a crate dolly, extra cable ties, laminate your information if you can .
I include
Incoming flight info, my seat number number on the flight etc
Out going info on back side of laminated document with the outgoing seat number etc.

cell phone,
home phone
dog name,
address

make sure your crate is labeled with the arrows saying this side up on all four side.
I also make additional live animal signs (call me paranoid)

It also pays to tip the people who are helping you walk your dog down to the cargo hold. They usually are your "advocate" until the dogs get loaded

Watch your dogs load and watch them unload (usually from a window seat on the plane) Ask them to see what side the cargo loads ( if my memory serves me correctly usually it is the right side).

Some airports let you stay with the dog on leash until the last minute. Make sure your door is cable tied Shut...........
have scissors in your checked luggage to cut this off when you get the dog on the other end......
all the best

Re: Re: Best kennel for flying

Thank you all for the great ideas & suggestions

Any FAA approved crate will work just fine. I usually write "bottled water only" on the crate. Ship via cargo and not as excess baggage - it's a little more expensive, but the cargo people are much more experienced at handling animals and they treat them as a living thing, not "excess baggage". Read the rules on the airline's site - they all have to go by FAA laws but they all interpret them a little differently. If your dog is on the larger side, make sure you use a 500 size crate - they will refuse your dog if they think the crate is too small, and once they tried to tell me my 70 lb bitch was too small for a 400! Direct flight is best, but if there has to be a change of planes, have the change happen at one of the airline's "hubs". And don't worry - just like for people, it's safer for the dog to fly that many miles than to drive!