Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Healthwise

Anyone tried this one? If so did you feed it to any pregnant bitches? How did things go? How are your dogs in general doing on it?

Thanx

Re: Healthwise

I tried it for a few weeks. Gradually changed and got loose stools that did not go away. Also lots of really bad, stinky flatulence....

Re: Re: Healthwise

I tried it, too. Thank goodness I have a good relationship with my feed store, they allowed me to return five bags. I hated it.

Re: Re: Re: Healthwise

This is not good news. We are in the process of changing from ProPlan to Healthwise now. What did all of you finally end up using???

We've been feeding our dogs Healthwise for many years with no problems in loose stools or gas. All the dogs seem just fine with it.

We aren't feeding Healthwise, but we are feeding other Natura products. One thing you want to make sure of is that you don't overfeed. I cannot stress enough that overfeeding these products will cause diarrhea, gas, and other food indigestion symptoms! They are very "rich"- even the ones that don't seem like they're calorically dense. We currently only feed 2-2.25 cups a day to our adults. Good luck!

Thanks for the feed back please keep it coming. I have been trying to get the Proplan Chicken/Rice Regular and I haven't been able to get any of the feed stores to agree to order it including Petsmart they need more interest besides just me. The performance is ok but it isn't necessary for all of my dogs. I could try the Selects but I am just getting fed up with Purina I think.

Coat and stool volume are my biggest issues my dogs don't seem to have any allergies.

Thanx

Hi,

I have fed Healthwise with great success. I switched over from NV's Prairie.....I wasn't able to get firm stools nor maintain weight. I made the switch over with no problems. I did take my time and made sure I didn't over feed. I like that they have an active line with higher protein and fat. There has been many threads on this food. You might try a search on "Healthwise".

Good luck! I couldn't be more pleased with the quality or the price.

I tried Healthwise from California Natural Lamb & Rice and had to switch back. Stools were terrible and my dogs started to itch. It's too bad as this still comes in 35lb bags and a little cheaper than the California Natural.

I've been feeding Healthwise (chicken & oatmeal) since last summer - it works for my girls the coats are great, good stools, and no gas. Puppy food availability is spotty at best (most of the time it has to be ordered in) so that is a consideration for puppy buyers.
Gretchen

I had been using Innova, then tried Healthwise for a little while because it was cheaper, but went back to Innova, just liked the coats better. However, if you look at the Natura website they are making changes to Healthwise so maybe it will be better now. I also had gas and soft stools in the beginning, but once I figured out the correct amount each dog needed to maintain their weight, which was quite a bit less than other foods, it seemed to go away, also adding a good probiotic seemed to help. Not sure I will stick with Innova, don't like the 30 lb bag size or that there is no breeder program, but I like the company's ethics, the ingredients and the fact that they have their own manufacturing plant and don't have to contract out. And the dogs go nuts over it, even my picky eater who would never eat when not at home.

Didn't overfeed the Healthwise here and took a long while to change over gradually.. I do like Natura products, but it just does not work here.
Solid Gold Millenium has been the only formula that I can use with all my 11 dogs with no issues at all.
It is very expensive and that is the only reason I try new foods. But I always end up back with the SG.