Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Safe-guard Dewormer liquid labeled for cattle & goats

Does anyone use this Safe-guard liquid for their dogs? It's the same 10% suspension of fenbenzadole as Panacur.

I bought a 1000 ml bottle (vs their powder packets) because can get exact dosage for dogs/puppies at 1 cc per 5 lbs. But I want to be SURE it's safe for dogs, without any other ingredients, etc. ... even Intervet won't say that and I can't find any info on-line to verify. My vet confirmed the correct dosage of 1 cc per 5 lbs for 10% fenbenzadole, should be fine. Any input???

Re: Safe-guard Dewormer liquid labeled for cattle & goats

Hi Jenny,

I use it all the time. Here's product info from the company in the UK - 2.2 lb/kg to calculate dosage for weight in lbs.

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Panacur_10__Liquid/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

I use it on every litter - whether they test positive for worms or not. I give it 3 days in a row at 3, 4 and 5 weeks. It gets all the garbage organisms out of their systems before I start vaccines. By that time the pups run and hide when they smell it

Re: Re: Safe-guard Dewormer liquid labeled for cattle & goats

Patty, you use the Safe-guard or the Panacur? If Safe-guard, you use the exact same dosage as for Panacur? Thanks.

Maureen, same 1 cc per 5 lbs as with Panacur? Does it taste as bad as Panacur??? I used to mix Panacur with baby food it was so bad. That's why I like the real STrongid-T ... puppies LOVE it!

Re: Re: Re: Safe-guard Dewormer liquid labeled for cattle & goats

I use the Safeguard, Jenny, but I am open to looking at using the Panacur. The Safeguard tastes nasty, the dogs don't mind the taste of the Panacur, though (paste)

thanks for starting this thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Safe-guard Dewormer liquid labeled for cattle & goats

I use the Safe Guard. I put it in their fooe ans add water, with no problems.

My cats hate it. LOL

Yes - I use the Safeguard version - it's exactly the same thing as liquid Panacur, without the prescription.

Oh - yes, the same dosage as well. What I do for puppies is suck up the required amount (one puppy at a time), then suck up a little corn syrup - usually about equal amounts of corn syrup and Safeguard. That way it start with the yummy sweet stuff when I give it to them, and by the time we get to the medication, it's mixed with the corn syrup. Quick, easy, but a little sticky

Good idea, Patty ... the corn syrup! Thanks!

Jenny
I use the Safe guard , 1cc per 5 pounds
Have used it for years...
Bridget

Re: Re: Re: Re: Safe-guard Dewormer liquid labeled for cattle & goats

Thanks, all. Now I'm comfortable using this.

Yes.. same wormer, same bad taste. That's why the pups run when I show up with the bottle

Deven has added some of that Crystal Light powder to hers in the past that gives a good taste for the pups. I have not, so can't say if it affects the wormer in any way.

3 day for worming 5 days for geardia and tape, waite a week and redo

I have always used the safeguard at 1ml per 5 lbs but the UK chart posted seems to indicate 1ml per kg? Isn't there 2.2 lbs per kg if I am not mistaken?
So would this equate to 1ml per 2.2lbs???
Help. I'm confused now

How about this? If this is right, I have been under dosing my dogs by 50% for YEARS!!!

Panacur Suspension
Prescription Required
Worming liquid for use in adult dogs and cats. Effective in treatment of roundworms, some tapeworms, lungworm.

10% Dosage adults dogs and cats 1ml per 1kg bodyweight
Puppies and kittens under 6 month of age 0.5ml per 1kg bodyweight daily for 3 consecutive days
Pregnant bitches 1ml per 4kg bodyweight daily from day 40 of pregnancy to 2 days post welping (approx 25 days)
Each ml contains 100mg fenbendazole

http://www.petdispensary.co.uk/panacur-suspension-3742-0.html

So this dewormer is safe enough to give a bitch who is about to whelp?

very safe.
1cc per 5 lbs
3 days works on most internal parasites, including whipworms
5 days works on giardia and certain tapeworms.

Did you read the above chart? It says 1cc per 2.2 lbs....so which is right???

labbies
very safe.
1cc per 5 lbs
3 days works on most internal parasites, including whipworms
5 days works on giardia and certain tapeworms.

remember you are using this off label so there will be a variety of answers.

we have been using it for over 15 years this way and it was always dosed 4x the bottle amount, which roughly comes to 1cc per 5lbs. This dosage has been confirmed recently by my repro vet, so I am content to stay with it.

it is very safe to use, so I would rather overdose than under dose, under dosing will only cause worm resistance leading to more problems down the road.

you get to decide what you feel is right for your dogs.

My repro vets also confirmed the 1 cc per 5 lbs dosaage, and that's what I always used with the original Panacur.

But, even though it's supposed to be safe for pregnant bitches, I wouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary. I de-worm before a breeding, as soon as they come in heat.