Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Albon for Pano

A couple of weeks ago someone posted about using Albon for Pano, I find this quite interesting but there were only 2 responses. With it being Potomac week then, I thought I might bring it up again and see if anyone else had had luck with it and the suspension amount and dosage per 10# of weight. Thank you in advance

Re: Albon for Pano

Thanks for bringing this up again. I posted the question about this recently but didn't see the response -- just went back and found it.

I followed the directions on the box, but I'm afraid pano isn't my dog's problem - just wishful thinking on my part. My boy started limping again.

How do you know its not pano. I thought it can last for months, moving around from area to area sometimes? Has he been diagnosed?

Albon is an antibiotic. From what I know NSAIDs are given for Pano not antibiotic.

Pano can be definitively diagnosed by x-ray according to a vet I spoke with.

The pain can shift from one leg to another. Every pup is different as to how long it will last.

Thread was here, Patty:
http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=976632990&frmid=4&msgid=791300&cmd=show

I don't know anything about Ablon for Pano but we did have to deal with it for months with our first lab. She would limp on one legs for what seemed like forever and magically get better. Then she would start limping on another leg. Thankfully our vet had seen Pano before or we would have spent a fortune.

Have dealt with pano numerous times in different lines. I have no evidence to support that it "runs in lines" either, just to clarify.

The best treatment I have used is lower protein to the lowest you can find and give Duramax if needed.

Of course rule out other causes but pano doesn't respond to anything but time and lowering protein slows growth and fast growth is what causes pano.

I know some folks swear by Albon for Pano - it's an interesting alternative treatment.

Conversely, joint pain can be a side effect of Albon and might be mistaken for Pano.

Brdr
Have dealt with pano numerous times in different lines. I have no evidence to support that it "runs in lines" either, just to clarify.

The best treatment I have used is lower protein to the lowest you can find and give Duramax if needed.

Of course rule out other causes but pano doesn't respond to anything but time and lowering protein slows growth and fast growth is what causes pano.

Do you mean Deramaxx and I am not the spelling police. http://www.deramaxx.com/

I had one bitch with pano that was discovered on prelim OFA x-rays as a very white, shaded area. She showed no sign of lameness but was a stoic girl when it came to any pain. We rested her, rechecked in 2.5 months, all signs of pano were gone at 18 months.

Her babies never had it that I knew of but I no longer do prelims. I do finals only.

I don't know anything about the use of ALBON but read it prior on this list. It sounds like it has a dual-use possibly? Can someone in the know explain it please?

TIA.

Wag The Dog (1)
Thread was here, Patty:
http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=976632990&frmid=4&msgid=791300&cmd=show

Thank you for the link. Learned something new on this thread. Will be seeing my vet in a week or so and curious as to his opinion.

Patty/Snowco Labradors
Albon is an antibiotic. From what I know NSAIDs are given for Pano not antibiotic.

The pain can shift from one leg to another. Every pup is different as to how long it will last.

Did you ever have a dog of your own with pano?

I find it hard to understand how Albon a sulfa drug could help with bone growth pain?
I would love to hear possibilities and ideas.

Jus me
Patty/Snowco Labradors

A pup in my last litter had it. First time I had experienced it. So naturally I spoke with the vet and did some research.

Patty/Snowco Labradors
Jus me
Patty/Snowco Labradors

A pup in my last litter had it. First time I had experienced it. So naturally I spoke with the vet and did some research.

Did your research and the pups' vet say it was genetic? Did you ever see it again in other litters or your line? That is what I am curious about. I've heard more genetic stories then anything.

TIA.

Jus me
Patty/Snowco Labradors
Jus me
Patty/Snowco Labradors

Did your research and the pups' vet say it was genetic? Did you ever see it again in other litters or your line? That is what I am curious about. I've heard more genetic stories then anything.

TIA.

The vet diagnosed it but said nothing about it being genetic. I did not find info that it is genetic. It is described by the vet and on the internet as growing pains like in human children.

No other pups in the litter had it. I have not had a litter since to tell you if it is in my lines. My next breeding will be a litter mate to the Pano pup.

The breeders I know that have had 1 (or 2) cases have gone on with their lines with no problems so I am not leaning toward it being genetic.

But hey there are other issues suspected of being genetic but we just don't have the answers (yet).

I asked my vet yesterday and he doesn't see why a vet would prescribe Albon for Pano. He has never heard of that.

Sometimes medications are found to have dual purposes. They are usually accidental discoveries.