Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Favorite Arthritis Supplements?

Arthroplex? Glyco-Flex? HyaFlex? Collagen Type II? Adequan? Glucosamine with MSM? Fish oil? Condroitin? Bromelain, Boswellia, Green Mussel? Lubrisyn?

Too much information! ahhhh! HELP!

Re: Favorite Arthritis Supplements?

I think you have to read labels and compare dosages and price per dose. I've had luck with Springtime products, with my deceased Lab that had bad elbows. I also would give enteric coated aspirin when needed. IME something that combines Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine and MSM works better but it will be more expensive.

Trixsyn alone works the best for me.

What works for one may not work for another. I had no change with Dog Gone Pain.

I know people getting great results with Lubrisyn. Wish it was around when I needed it.

Keep in mind that it often takes a combination of things to work.

Vit C. in hi doses to bowel tollerance makes the adrenal gland produce natural steriods (anti inflammatory), Alfalfa is also good for pain. So is DLPA (google it as there is a certain drug you can not give at the same time).

I gave, C, G/C 1000, EPA/DHA and DLPA with good results.

You may find something or a combo works for a while and than feel the need to change or add something else for further improvememt.

Good luck. Hoping you find what works for your dog.

Patty/Snowco Labradors
What works for one may not work for another. I had no change with Dog Gone Pain.

I know people getting great results with Lubrisyn. Wish it was around when I needed it.

Keep in mind that it often takes a combination of things to work.

Vit C. in hi doses to bowel tollerance makes the adrenal gland produce natural steriods (anti inflammatory), Alfalfa is also good for pain. So is DLPA (google it as there is a certain drug you can not give at the same time).

I gave, C, G/C 1000, EPA/DHA and DLPA with good results.

You may find something or a combo works for a while and than feel the need to change or add something else for further improvememt.

Good luck. Hoping you find what works for your dog.

How do you dose alfalfa? Is it by weight? Is the combo of metacam and alfalfa okay?

[/quote]How do you dose alfalfa? Is it by weight? Is the combo of metacam and alfalfa okay?[/quote]

I am not sure as I never used it for arthritis. I gave it years ago for HD and if I remember it was 300-500mg 2/day (this dog also had a growth on her chin that dissappeared while on the alfalfa - see quote below). I know someone that uses it in higher doses for pain with good results but not sure how much. Here are some links that may give you the answer.

Someone else also pointed out to me that some dogs have issues (allergies) with alfalfa so keep that in mind.

Taken from:
http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

"Alfalfa has been found to reduce the risk of cancerous growths and is therefore considered a good herb for cancer prevention."

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1448&aid=1335

http://www.b-naturals.com/alfalfa-1-lb-p-7 (this is a powder form)

Hope that helps

Can DLPA be used with Meloxicam (same as Metacam/NSAID) and Tramadol safely? I have an olderster who is currently on Meloxicam and Tramadol (as needed) along with SynoviG3. With her age and pain I am more concerned about her quality of life vs longevity, but obviously we would like her with us as long as she can be. Are there any drug interactions between using the DLPA along with NSAIDS and/or Tramadol?

I have tried Alfalfa, Adaquan, Lubrisyn and other things but they didn't help her. We held off on the Meloxicam as long as possible.

I use SynoviG3 for years it has made a big improvement with one of my old dogs that has degenerative joint disease. When I give it to him he is free moving and if I don't give it to him he begins to get stiff and show he is in pain. Now I make sure he gets it everyday. They have good prices on Entirely pets.com if you are interested.

As far as I know you can give DLPA with any drug other than MAO Inhibitors. Do a google search on DLPA for lots of info.

But please check with your vet.

That's the thing. My vet is not going to know anything about drug interactions with DLPA. I would imagine most vets would not since it is not your 'typical' veterinary drug. Not saying it's not used, but my guess would be that most conventional vets aren't going to know much about it.

I know most vets don't know about natural supps. for pain so what about a telephone consult with a holistic vet?

Wish I could be of more help. I did not use NSAIDS. I only used natural supps. for my girl.