Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cool coats

With summer heat coming, I want to get a "cool coat" for my hot chocolate boy and need some recommendations. There are a several brands available on up to custom ones and range from about $30 to $70 for a labrador-size coat. I'm not as concerned about cost as about which ones work the best and are the most comfortable for the dog.

Any opinions on the best brand to get?

Re: cool coats

I got a wonderful one last year at one of the shows.
It is made from that made-mad shammy stuff like you can get to dry off cars.
It has velcro straps across the front and a belly band with velcro.
It stays nice and cool, all you do is wet it.

If you want to go expensive, I had also seen one with some sort of pouches that slide into compartments all over it and I think they have some kind of blue ice type stuff inside. You have to freeze the pouches though and it seemed kind of a PITA.

I have a black boy who is bothered by the heat, so we bought him the shammy one at the show last weekend. I saw a lot of dogs in them, and it looks like it will work. I also have the other one that has the gel in it and it is a PITA to use, plus it was expensive. I hope the shammy one works. It is light, and much easier to carry around that the gel one.

Oh and don't forget to keep the shammy moist and in a zip lock bag between shows!!
It won't hurt it to dry out but it gets stiff as a board, and you must wet it again before you try to unfold itLOL!!!

I just bought two from ebay. They are really well made and they seem to be great! I just typed in Cool Coat and then searched under pets. They were about $42.00 with free shipping.

jdr
With summer heat coming, I want to get a "cool coat" for my hot chocolate boy and need some recommendations. There are a several brands available on up to custom ones and range from about $30 to $70 for a labrador-size coat. I'm not as concerned about cost as about which ones work the best and are the most comfortable for the dog.

Any opinions on the best brand to get?

Canine Cool Coats are made by Saratoga Horseworks from the same Oasis fabric used for their horse turnout sheets.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=918&ParentCat=256

The prices are reasonable $24.95 to $28.95 by size. Mine have been used by more then 1 dog for awhile & still look new.

I use the Saratoga Horseworks coats as well and they work great. My dogs love them.