Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EIC Question

If mom and dad are both tested and clear, is this one that you can say Clear by Parentage, like with Optigen?

Re: EIC Question

Yes, as long as both sire & dam are tested Clear, the resulting pups would be CBP.

There would be the same provision that you would need to have the DNA testing to be sure of parentage. I would use the phrase that both parents tested clear, rather than clear by parentage, as that implies the DNA testing has been done.

What provision to have to check DNA to be sure of parentage??? I know the stud I bred to, mom was not accidentally bred. How many of ya'll are unsure of parentage? I know it happens, but seriously? Are you suggesting we now have to DNA test to assure parentage on all these clearances?

So are you saying I can't say that my pups are Optigen Clear by Parentage because I didn't DNA them to prove that mom and dad were really their mom and dad?

Yes, that is the accepted practice. You CAN say that both parents are Optigen or EIC clear. I say that about Optigen on one of my own webpages because I have no reason to think that the parentage is in question but have not done the DNA testing. That way other people can decide if they trust your confidence in the parentage or not. I have had all my current breeding stock tested for EIC, so the issue has come up yet for that.

Good point, Peggy! I guess I use the phrase "Unoffically Clear By Parentage", as that, to me at least, means that they should be CBP but I haven't officially DNA'd them.

While going to the effort to DNA verify parentage may be kinda pricey for just one test result... if you're lucky enough to have clear results for Optigen, CNM, and EIC it might be well worth the money to be able to get the "official" clear by parentage.

given errors in the test, it is possible to get different than expected results for other reasons than parentage.

then what?

I agree, to require a responsible breeder to prove they know what dogs are the parents seems provoked.
Obviously we know who the mother is and unless you have a free for all you should be 100% sure who you bred her to.

For this case every litter bred would be under question about being a purebred litter do you require DNA to prove a pups is a Labrador by parentage?

Breeder Amazed
What provision to have to check DNA to be sure of parentage??? I know the stud I bred to, mom was not accidentally bred. How many of ya'll are unsure of parentage? I know it happens, but seriously? Are you suggesting we now have to DNA test to assure parentage on all these clearances?

So are you saying I can't say that my pups are Optigen Clear by Parentage because I didn't DNA them to prove that mom and dad were really their mom and dad?

Most of my breedings are done with shipped semen, and most stud owners have more than one stud. I have not seen that semen collected or packaged. I am taking it on faith that the stud owner was responsible. I wouldn't deal with anyone I didn't trust, but I still cannot personally guarantee that the semen came from the sire on the papers.

I am going to have my stud dogs Optigen and EIC tested before they are used. Right now I have one who has not been tested for PRA because both parents are clear. He hasn't been used yet, and I want him to get his MH before he is, as a dog that I co-own began to think of hunt tests as dating services, and we had to settle for the SH. I have not been doing CNM yet, as I still haven't heard of any carriers in the gene pool I am using, and that is a disease that isn't as likely to slip through the cracks as EIC or PRA is, since it would show up early in life. I am not so concerned about my girls because I don't sell many puppies to other breeders, and so far puppy buyers have been happy with having both tested parents. As I have several EIC carrier girls, I would want to breed to a dog that had been tested himself. And of course their offspring will have to be tested.

This statement is an insult to me, and every other respectable stud owner out there.

Quote from Peggy Stevens: "Most of my breedings are done with shipped semen, and most stud owners have more than one stud. I have not seen that semen collected or packaged. I am taking it on faith that the stud owner was responsible. I wouldn't deal with anyone I didn't trust, but I still cannot personally guarantee that the semen came from the sire on the papers."

Clear by parentage is correct if the puppy is a result of my own two dogs and I did the collection and A-I myself, or a natural.

I trust stud dog owners I deal with. If I couldn't, I would never contact them in the first place.

This is just too much and way over to top!
Apparently you think alot of stud dogs owners are on the take?

You didn't read my message carefully. I said that I wouldn't deal with anyone I didn't trust, and I have been very happy with the stud dog owners I have dealt with. But the requirements for DNA testing are not necessarily for my own sake, but for the people who are trusting me to have dealt with an ethical stud dog owner, with whom they have never dealt directly. And i would be doing the same thing if I accepted that a stud dog was clear by parentage without having the DNA tested. I am assuming not only that his owners have not made a mistake but that his breeders and the owner of his sire haven't. Last time this issue came up, a number of people responded with specific situations they knew about in which DNA testing revealed that mistakes in parentage had been made. That's why the standard is set where it is. If my girl were clear, I probably would be willing to breed to a dog with two clear parents who hadn't been DNA tested for parentage, but I'd think more than twice if I would do that with a carrier- or if I bred my own girl with two clear parents and no testing for parentage (and I do have some) to a carrier.

I also want to make it clear that I didn't make up the standard. I believe Optigen defines "clear by parentage" as requiring DNA testing for parentage. I also thought this was over the top at first, but the stories of other breeders who knew of cases of mistaken identity convinced me that it was necessary.