Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coat Question

Just found out my dog carries the Long Coat gene
His coat does not look any different than his sires who is a multi BISS winner. Is this something I should consider when including him in a breeding program? What is the significance of this? Just wondering how widespread this is and if it is something I should be worried about perpetuating??

Re: Coat Question

http://webpages.charter.net/lofgren/Fluffy.htm

Wow! Thanks for the link. Very interesting..guess it is more common that I thought. Will be interesting to see how our gene pools change over the next few years with the sires that are being used so heavily currently.

Actually I stumbled upon this using the Ingen test since this is one of the genes they test for automatically.

what beautiful pups, I would have bet money they were golden pups.

Interesting discussion here, and I started doing research when a judge recently described my dog's coat as "correct coat, not like a lot of coats that are too long that I see so much"...

...and I did not even know what was too long, too short to be correct. I have so much to learn about this. But at least I know my labs that I have in my kennel now seem to have correct coat, but I was very interested to hear about ingen testing for the long coat gene...VERY cool!!