Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Older puppies selling or free?

How many of you out there are finding that if you have an older dog that you want to place that people automatically think they are FREE!!. I usually keep a couple back from each litter and run on them. By 10- 12 months I know what I want to keep. I have trained them, vet cared for them and spayed/nuetered them. People sound all interested in them till you tell them you want a small amount of money for them. I ask 600 for mine. Am I wrong????

Re: Older puppies selling or free?

Occasionally they think they should be cheap, but then I explain that these are my pick puppies that didn't work out for one reason or another and now I'm placing them for the regular puppy price after putting a lot of time into them. I've never had trouble selling an older puppy as a lot of people want a house-broken, well-mannered young dog because they don't have the time and expertise to do that themselves.

When people ask about an older puppy, I tell them right off the bat that the puppy is $100 more than an 8 week old because of yada yada yada. That does not offend a person who really prefers an older puppy. It does get rid of the dreamers who think an older puppy is a freebie.

The older they get, the more they cost. More training, food, health care . The older they are the easier it is for them to move into a new home.The older they are the more you can tell about looks,soundness and temperament.

just placed an 9 month old chocolate male I was running on for $900.
Why would he be cheaper? He was a the pick pup and now has all vaccines.

Now if I place older girls 5+ I usually will spay and place for $200 but all information on the dog is still in my name. I treat it as a co own.

Outrageous concept, I just placed an 8 year old spayed bitch for $300, and my clients thought it was a gift. Older puppies are $1000 and up according to training.
You need to find a different clientel!

Lab Lvr
How many of you out there are finding that if you have an older dog that you want to place that people automatically think they are FREE!!. I usually keep a couple back from each litter and run on them. By 10- 12 months I know what I want to keep. I have trained them, vet cared for them and spayed/nuetered them. People sound all interested in them till you tell them you want a small amount of money for them. I ask 600 for mine. Am I wrong????

$600 is reasonable considering what you have put into the pup.

No pup should be totally free. Retired dogs sometimes are although I have never placed retired. A small fee is sometimes in order unless the breeder is totally confident in the person adopting the retired dog.

If the people think they're free, tell them go to a rescue service and pay the charges there. Most are $300 for a mixed breed and they have done a good deed. If they have a healthy labrador adolescent or adult, they are adopted quickly with little availability.

The people looking for a free dog are the people I stay away from. I find the same with puppy buyers. If the first question is "How much are they?" I reply, I have no pups available either on the phone or by email. Cost should not be the 1st concern as this is lifelong committment of the pup or dog.

If they pay nothing for a pup or dog, how do you know they can afford normal vet costs and an emergency health issue if it were to occur?

I think the uneducated client may think your older pups are your leftovers you could not sell, there fore you should be giving them away.

I had one family come to see puppies and asked if my group of girls playing in the yard where all from the same litter. I found it funny because they ranged from 1 year to 6 years old, but I guess to the untrained eye they were just a bunch of happy dogs.

Yeah, I've had a lot of people tell me they thought an 8-15 month old I was placing was just something I could never find a buyer for before they came along!!!!

Xia
The people looking for a free dog are the people I stay away from. I find the same with puppy buyers. If the first question is "How much are they?" I reply, I have no pups available either on the phone or by email. Cost should not be the 1st concern as this is lifelong committment of the pup or dog.

If they pay nothing for a pup or dog, how do you know they can afford normal vet costs and an emergency health issue if it were to occur?

I couldn't agree more.

Huh....If you have done your vet shots cerf OFA;s etc... and selling an older puppy. Why would you sell it for less then at least $800. I just sold a intact male Nice looking But not something that turned out what I wanted for the future.I will get him neutered at my expense. since its cheaper.+ Older then 6 mos gets fixed before leaving here.

Anyway this 9 mo old male. Sold forover $1000
why because his shots were UTD He was an Optigen A
and cerf'd and obedienced trained on leash.House broken crate trained..... I had nearly 40 calls for this dog. So I wished I had 40 more 9 mo old dogs like this to sell what I sold him for. He is a nice dog bred well and will make a 4-ever dog to this nice family....